E85 Kit and Spec Stage 3 Clutch on the Way! - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: E85 Kit and Spec Stage 3 Clutch on the Way!

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
    Please help me understand why you want to use E85. Aren't other fuel system components going to suffer premature death since they may not have been designed to handle the more corrosive E85?
    Negative. Our fuel systems are actually E85 ready.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Spec clutch? Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I hope you have good luck with it. Others have nearly lost limbs due to spec clutches.

Looking forward to the results though. I will admit I'm pretty excited to see the kind of numbers you can put down.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide App
    I am too! And I'll certainly keep you guys updated. I've actually read nothing but good about SPEC clutches. They have the reputation to outlast OE clutches by at least 35%, and that's WITH the increased torque capacity. Aaron at TTR recommended KY stage 3 clutch, as that's what the Cobalt SS guys use. But being almost $100 more, I'll give SPEC a shot first and see how they do. Plus, he said the KY and SPEC clutches are almost the EXACT same thing.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Contest Manager
    Hit me up when you get them installed! I'd like to make a trip out your way to check it out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I can do that. I haven't decided if I'm going to install it now or wait til it gets a little bit warmer out. But when I do, I'll let you know!
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.

210hp/270tq on E85.

Really excited to see what kind of performance you get out of this.
    OnlyTaurus likes this.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
    Please help me understand why you want to use E85. Aren't other fuel system components going to suffer premature death since they may not have been designed to handle the more corrosive E85?
    Why? Because it has a higher octane rating than race gas and costs a fraction of the price. HUGE performance gains and very easy power.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTaurus View Post
    I've actually read nothing but good about SPEC clutches. They have the reputation to outlast OE clutches by at least 35%, and that's WITH the increased torque capacity. Aaron at TTR recommended KY stage 3 clutch, as that's what the Cobalt SS guys use. But being almost $100 more, I'll give SPEC a shot first and see how they do. Plus, he said the KY and SPEC clutches are almost the EXACT same thing.
    They also have a reputation to shatter. LS1 guys stay far away from them. Not trying to rain on your parade or be an ass, but outlasting an OE clutch isn't a difficult thing to do. I would have called up clutchmasters like Travis did. $100 is not a huge deal considering how much work will go into this.

You don't have to look far to find people who had catastrophic issues with SPEC clutches. I wouldn't trust one in my car. Here's a quick google search I found in 15 seconds:

Major problems with SPEC clutch - RX7Club.com

My Spec clutch shattered in the middle of 4th gear at the track, and took out many parts in my engine compartment, and cracked the rear plate on my engine.
    Here's a google search worth looking at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tran...=1920&bih=1054

I didn't do all the research into exactly why each failure happened, but out of all of the clutch failures I've heard of, SPEC is the name that came up more often. Whether that's because they sell the most clutches or because their quality and consistency is the worst isn't something I can comment on.

I feel like I'm being a dick, but I genuinely do not intend to. I would hate myself though if I didn't at least share what I've read over the years in the event that the clutch you bought would fail.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Subscribed, very interested in your review
    OnlyTaurus likes this.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

Learning about my Cruze woody13eco's Avatar
    I run SPEC clutches in my Camaro and Beretta with success.
    OnlyTaurus likes this.
    2013 Eco 1.4T 6spd - The wife's car
    80 Camaro 383 6spd, 91 Beretta 3.4L 5spd, 94 Z71 357 5spd - My cars

http://www.motortopia.com/woody2136
    http://www.gearheaddezign.com/

Handbrake Released phantomknight321's Avatar
    Gonna keep an eye on this for sure! i may debate skipping getting a 93 octane tune altogether and just go full e85
    Past: 2012 Cruze LT Auto

Current: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Why? Because it has a higher octane rating than race gas and costs a fraction of the price. HUGE performance gains and very easy power.

They also have a reputation to shatter. LS1 guys stay far away from them. Not trying to rain on your parade or be an ass, but outlasting an OE clutch isn't a difficult thing to do. I would have called up clutchmasters like Travis did. $100 is not a huge deal considering how much work will go into this.

You don't have to look far to find people who had catastrophic issues with SPEC clutches. I wouldn't trust one in my car. Here's a quick google search I found in 15 seconds:

Major problems with SPEC clutch - RX7Club.com

Here's a google search worth looking at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trans+am+clutch+explosion+spec+clutch&ie= utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Wzw&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=spec+clutch+explosion&oq=spec+clutch+explosio n&gs_l=serp.3..0i30.10212.12090.0.12220.21.11.0.8. 8.0.191.1407.3j8.11.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.3.psy-ab.txxBqeoskoc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_ qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.aWc&fp=adecfa95c5ab1c51&biw= 1920&bih=1054

I didn't do all the research into exactly why each failure happened, but out of all of the clutch failures I've heard of, SPEC is the name that came up more often. Whether that's because they sell the most clutches or because their quality and consistency is the worst isn't something I can comment on.

I feel like I'm being a dick, but I genuinely do not intend to. I would hate myself though if I didn't at least share what I've read over the years in the event that the clutch you bought would fail.
    Nah, you're fine. I appreciate the concern actually. I've never used SPEC before, but figured with a max of 250lbft torque out of this tune would suffice this 'maybe less than perfect' company. I'll give them a shot. The stgae 3 kit is rated at 300 torque, so I'll be far from pushing it to its limits. I just hope daily engagement isn't seriously affected, lol.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance

210hp/270tq on E85.

subbed. this is exciting indeed
    2011 SILVER LTZ WITH RS PACKAGE
    "Stock"

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast