How much HP is it possible to get out of 1.4l Turbo? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much HP is it possible to get out of 1.4l Turbo?

Handbrake Released
    Although it is not the 1.4 litre it is in the ecotec family... the 2.2 litre that was in the cavalier was modified by a gm performance team to put out over 1000 horsepower. If I remember right it put out close to 500 on stock internals. It just goes to show how much potential there is out of these motors. Mind you the 2.2 litres that GM modified was gigantic by the time it was done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    the problem with the 1.4L engine is that the turbo is so freaking small. IMO at 200whp and over you are flowing well beyond efficiency of the turbo. But to verify that you'll need the turbo map spec sheet.

I think on a stock turbo you should look at 200whp as a goal. Go over, look at a turbo upgrade.
    2009 Cobalt SS
    2005 Ford Escape XLS
    Roommates = 2011 Cruze Eco MT

Handbrake Released
    but when you upgrade, you got to get a new exhaust manifold, as they are a one piece design
    White Cruze LS Auto
    (semi-city-hwy mpg 31.4/400mile trip 41mpg/65mph)

-Injen Intake installed
    -saving for Trifecta AT tune
    50%Tint all around- looks great on wht

Prev Rides:
    05 Lincoln LS traded for Cruze(17MPG city/24mpg hwy)

69 Nova(blk)
    74 Plymouth Duster(sky blu)
    05 BMW 325I
    05 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart(2.4L)no evo
    01 Hyundai Elantra
    92 Honda Civic Del Sol(GSR Swap and tuned)
    85 Mazda Rx-7(First Car ever/paid $1000 for it)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric123 View Post
    Although it is not the 1.4 litre it is in the ecotec family... the 2.2 litre that was in the cavalier was modified by a gm performance team to put out over 1000 horsepower. If I remember right it put out close to 500 on stock internals. It just goes to show how much potential there is out of these motors. Mind you the 2.2 litres that GM modified was gigantic by the time it was done.
    That part of GM Performance was actually Roush Racing in Livonia Mi. With the 2.0 Ecotec they made a hair over 1500 bhp, pushing about 60 pound of boost on methonal revving 10,000 rpm.

Retired Moderator
    I understand everyone here is arguing soley on possibilities of the motor and not the wisdom of the application to the Cruze. But it still must be said just incase. The Cruze is not the prefered platform of choice for high power high performance. But like said before with $X not being a factor then Y_Performance is always possible.
    Mike

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz10179 View Post
    That part of GM Performance was actually Roush Racing in Livonia Mi. With the 2.0 Ecotec they made a hair over 1500 bhp, pushing about 60 pound of boost on methonal revving 10,000 rpm.
    Thats the one!!! I couldn't quite remember the details. It just goes to show how much power can be pushed out of a tiny motor!!

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric123 View Post
    Thats the one!!! I couldn't quite remember the details. It just goes to show how much power can be pushed out of a tiny motor!!
    Yeah but how long will it last? At over 10,000 rpm its no longer a street car engine but a race engine and they swap those out each race. It's longevity is measured in hours not 10s of thousands of miles.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Yeah but how long will it last? At over 10,000 rpm its no longer a street car engine but a race engine and they swap those out each race. It's longevity is measured in hours not 10s of thousands of miles.
    Actually they did quite a bit to ensure it could handle the stresses and last. That is why it ended up being twice its original size. I found the website => GMTunerSource.com - ECOtec Drag Engine Specs. Its the equivalent of a 350 V8 putting out over 4000 hp.

Engine Type: Inline 4-cylinder
    Displacement: 2.16 Liters
    Bore x Stroke: 89mm x 89 mm (destroked for high RPM operation) Valves/cylinder: 4
    Balance Shafts: Removed for high RPM operation
    Block: Aluminum (lost foam cast) with steel cylinder liners
    Head: Aluminum (sand cast) with custom race porting
    Crankshaft: 3.505 Billet Steel
    Rods: Manley I-beam, 300M material
    Pistons: JE aluminum with 22mm PPP Pins
    Compression: 10.8:1
    Camshafts: Comp Cams billet custom ground, with roller finger followers
    Induction: Borg Warner S400 Turbocharger w/ air to water intercooler
    Ignition: Capacitive discharge by MSD
    Fuel Delivery: 3 injectors per cylinder with FAST XFI controller
    Fuel: Methanol
    Lubrication: Dry sump
    Exhaust: 4 into 1, custom bent
    Horsepower: 1450hp @ 9200rpm
    Torque: 940 lb-ft @ 7700rpm

Anyways this is an extreme but my original point was they obtained in the area of 500 hp off of a stock motor with no modifications to the block or head.

Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    The value of maximum RPM doesn't justify the term "Race Engine".
    Mike

Just remember......

1. it's easy to build horsepower on a vehicle that has no limit on horsepower

2. it's hard to build horsepower on a vehicle that has a limit.

It looks like with Shawns post about the trans we can only build close to 200whp without getting deep into our pockets. Hopefully that FMIC from ZZP will be a nice gain after the normal bolt-ons and tune.
    2011 Imperial Blue Cruze LTZ Fully Loaded

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12