GM confirms use of 91 Octane Fuel
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: GM confirms use of 91 Octane Fuel

3rd Gear

GM confirms use of 91 Octane Fuel

I haven't see this posted, but seeing that GM actually confirms using 91 octane is better I thought I would link it.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze: Hot Weather MPG Part 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor TurboTechRacing's Avatar
    Interesting.
    - Aaron
    TurboTechRacing.com
    Performance parts and accessories for the Chevrolet Cruze. Your #1 one stop shop.

3rd Gear
    It may be why people are seeing a decrease in fuel efficency this summer. I haven't but I have been running 93 octane since June

Car is globally calibrated for 96 octane which is used in Europe... We get heavily retarded spark in summer and on low octane.. hence reduction in MPG

Yeah, could have guessed that... I get noticably better mileage when it's 70F with the A/C on than I do when it's 95F with the AC on...

Mike

World Rally Champion
    ...FYI, *all* EPA 50-state-certification tests are performed using 91 octane fuel, regardless of what the Owners Manual says.

...93 octane is used for non-CARB and non-50-state EPA tests.
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 07-28-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

This really applies to all vehicles, not just our Cruze. Although, it impacts on a lesser of scale on N/A engines.

Think about it. The hotter the air, the less dense the air, the easier it is for the A/F mixture to detonate and the less power made. Add a Turbo/SC, and it compounds that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by RS LTZ View Post
    This really applies to all vehicles, not just our Cruze. Although, it impacts on a lesser of scale on N/A engines.

Think about it. The hotter the air, the less dense the air, the easier it is for the A/F mixture to detonate and the less power made. Add a Turbo/SC, and it compounds that effect.
    Sort of...

If an engine has a low compression ratio and a set high-point for ignition advance that's in the 87 octane range, and almost never retards timing, then there's really nothing to gain from higher octane... The Trailblazer, for instance, gains absolutely nothing from anything over 87... It's because the compression ratio isn't really high, and the maximum advance on the timing is well within the 87 octane range...

The engine controls the fuel to go with the temperature/density of the air... It puts in less fuel when it needs less fuel...

Mike

Learning about my Cruze
    Interesting. Mine is going in tomorrow for maintenance and to see if they can figure out why it has absolutely no power at times when hot. It has been 100+ here for 2 weeks and the car will barely get out of its own way. If the dealer can't find anything, I may run a few tanks of 91-92 to see how it works. I drive 3000+ miles a month and keep track of everything. I'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it works.
    2011 Black Eco M6

3rd Gear
    As for at potential energy from gasoline, BTU is 87 > 89 > 91 > 93. Ideally you would want a car to use 87 because it provides the most energy.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast