Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Rough idle at stop

Tags
idle rough stop
61K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  H3LLON3ARTH 
#1 ·
I know when you come to a stop by default the trans goes into neutral to lower the idle speed to save fuel. I have only owned my Cruze about 72 hours but I notice when I come to a complete stop the idle is rough or vibrates. When moving there is no issue and purrs like a kitten.

Is this normal and has anyone else noticed this curious problem? I have the 1.4 turbo RS package.

#3 ·
Thanks for the question Studlee,
It is a 2012 with very low mileage (less than 200) and I assume it will work out but just thought I would ask people that have worked though something like this before.
I know there is a break in time but just thought it a bit odd since driving there is no problem with engine roughness that is transferred to cabin at all only at a stop.

#5 ·
I don't know of any automatic trannies that go into neutral when you're stopped. One of the reasons you have to hold the brake to keep from pulling into the person in front of you or through your stop. When coasting it may feel like it's in neutral cause you're not applying power into the tranny, but the valve body still has it engaged into drive and as soon as you hit the gas it'll transfer that power.

How bad is the vibration? Are you running the AC when you feel the vibration? I think what you're are experiencing is normal. There's many variables that cause the engine to idle a little rough. If your AC is on then it is adding a load to your engine, not to mention your alternator and water pump also add a load. At idle your engine produces the least amount of power. Also, at low RPMs your pistons are working / firing at a slower speed which can create a frequency that will resinate throughout the car. The engine mounts help to reduce the vibration felt a little, but not all of it.

#8 ·
I knew I had read the neutral shift somewhere. On page 9-30 in the 2012 manual it states, " The vehicle has an automatic neutral shift feature which allows the transmission to automatically shift to N (Neutral) when the vehicle is stopped with a forward gear engaged. The reduced load on the engine improves vehicle fuel economy."

I believe there is another place in the manual that also mentions possible rollback on a hill because of this feature but I don't have time to dig it out at the moment.

To answer your question Crewz, yes I do have the AC running and when the temps moderate I will test with the AC off. That very well could be a factor causing extra strain on the engine at a low rpm idle.

I am really not to worried about it just wondered if anyone else had noticed. I like the car more each day I drive it and have only had it a week now.

#7 ·
Yeah they don't go into neutral to the best of my knowledge unless the Cruze has some oddball programming....is your A/C on when it happens?

#10 ·
I bought a 2012 Eco about a week and a half ago and I've noticed the same thing. I swear I feel a vibration in the drivers seat, but just enough of one to notice it. I only feel it when I'm stopped, like at a light or intersection, and I don't feel it as much if I'm leaning forward in the seat as opposed to having my back and head against the headrest Sometimes I don't feel it at all, sometimes I do to varying degrees. I've been using the AC, but I've also turned it off and still felt it. I don't notice it when the car is moving, only when I'm stopped (braked, not in park).

I was also wondering if anyone else had noticed anything like this and if it's normal or something I should get checked.

#11 ·
My 2011 is doing the same thing. I just have 10,000 miles on it now. And it just started in the last few months. It was worse in the beginning, the kids could feel it in the back seat. I took it into the dealership and they completed a software update on it. But the vibration continued. Took it back 2 days later and after describing it for the 5th time they took it back and looked it over for most of the morning. Got a call saying it was my fan..it was going right into high speed. I noticed that issue right after getting my car and took it to them and thier mecanic convinced me it was completely normal, now a year later they tell me its not but they assured me that would fix the problem. Have to admit it is better but not fixed now the vibration is under the drivers seat pretty much only, though others can feel it and hear it also. But now its just happens for a few minutes and will stop again. And it only happens when the car is warmed up.

#12 ·
My wife is driving the service guy nuts with this "problem". She feels this vibration when sitting at idle with her foot on the brake and the AC running. Not enough to think the engine is having a significant problem but just enough for her to be concerned. Doesn't happen all the time but more than not. Service guy says it's because the AC is running and puts a load on the little 4 cylinder engine. She is not satisfied with that answer and calls the service guy an idiot right over the phone. Not nice but she gets her point across. Service guy takes the car and cleans the throttle body, $125 to me, and does an update on software in the computer, no charge to me. Car still vibrates occassionally at idle. Wife is not happy. Happy wife is a happy life so does anyone have any suggestions other than turning off the AC or changing wives?

#13 ·
gwhaia,

I am sorry that your wife is having this concern. If you would like us to look further into this please let us know. You can private message me your name, VIN, mileage, address, phone number, and name of your GM dealership. Look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

#14 ·
this car still isnt available here locally but since its already available elsewhere i was wondering if there are any bodykits available for this car? if there is what kind of kits are out there?
Run higher octane. These cars pull timing when running low octane in summeith ac running.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

#16 ·
A 2012 goes into neutral at a stop with the brakes engaged. Move the shifter towards the driver side and you can feel it go back into gear. That's one way of keeping the car from rolling backward when on an incline. Just move the shifter back to the passenger side to feel it go back into neutral.

Bill

#17 ·
You mean Start/Stop I don't think the U.S Cruzen have this capability I thought it was mainly Europe.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

#18 ·
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-ch.../290-2011-chevy-cruze-new-features-guide.html Neutral Idle
The Cruze is equipped with a feature called Neutral Idle. This feature saves on fuel by automatically shifting the vehicle into a neutral state when the vehicle comes to a stop and your foot is on the brake. It will then shift back to gear as you release the brake pedal. The customer may experience a different feeling during starts and stops when driving this vehicle compared to other vehicles and may experience a slight roll on an incline.

#19 ·
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-ch.../290-2011-chevy-cruze-new-features-guide.html Neutral Idle
The Cruze is equipped with a feature called Neutral Idle. This feature saves on fuel by automatically shifting the vehicle into a neutral state when the vehicle comes to a stop and your foot is on the brake. It will then shift back to gear as you release the brake pedal. The customer may experience a different feeling during starts and stops when driving this vehicle compared to other vehicles and may experience a slight roll on an incline.
Thanks for this information I was not aware of this feature but I also own 6MT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.