Rough idle at stop
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rough idle at stop

Rough idle at stop

I know when you come to a stop by default the trans goes into neutral to lower the idle speed to save fuel. I have only owned my Cruze about 72 hours but I notice when I come to a complete stop the idle is rough or vibrates. When moving there is no issue and purrs like a kitten.

Is this normal and has anyone else noticed this curious problem? I have the 1.4 turbo RS package.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

How many miles on the car? What year?

Quote Originally Posted by STUDLEE View Post
    How many miles on the car? What year?
    Thanks for the question Studlee,
    It is a 2012 with very low mileage (less than 200) and I assume it will work out but just thought I would ask people that have worked though something like this before.
    I know there is a break in time but just thought it a bit odd since driving there is no problem with engine roughness that is transferred to cabin at all only at a stop.

Learning about my Cruze
    kylake

I know when you come to a stop by default the trans goes into neutral to lower the idle speed to save fuel.
    I don't think the automatics go into neutral any more at a stop. My 2011 doesn't and it's a late built.

I don't know of any automatic trannies that go into neutral when you're stopped. One of the reasons you have to hold the brake to keep from pulling into the person in front of you or through your stop. When coasting it may feel like it's in neutral cause you're not applying power into the tranny, but the valve body still has it engaged into drive and as soon as you hit the gas it'll transfer that power.

How bad is the vibration? Are you running the AC when you feel the vibration? I think what you're are experiencing is normal. There's many variables that cause the engine to idle a little rough. If your AC is on then it is adding a load to your engine, not to mention your alternator and water pump also add a load. At idle your engine produces the least amount of power. Also, at low RPMs your pistons are working / firing at a slower speed which can create a frequency that will resinate throughout the car. The engine mounts help to reduce the vibration felt a little, but not all of it.
    Cruze LTZ RS Silver Ice Metallic, Black Leather interior, connectivity package, sunroof, pioneer premium sound system, 18" split star wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dennisu View Post
    kylake

I don't think the automatics go into neutral any more at a stop. My 2011 doesn't and it's a late built.
    I could have sworn I read that in the owners manual. I will have to check my facts.
    Money is not the key to happiness, happiness is!

Ben Franklin

Off-Road Champion

Yeah they don't go into neutral to the best of my knowledge unless the Cruze has some oddball programming....is your A/C on when it happens?
    Nick
    USAF
    www.motorcityforums.com
    2011 Cruze Eco
    1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=9723
    In the recent past:
    2002 Trans Am WS6 346CI of unbridled fury! 469RWH/434RWTQ 11.01 @ 123MPH You will be missed!
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT 309WHP/357RWTQ 12.21 @ 113
    2000 Subaru Impreza RS 203WHP/201WTQ 14.2 @ 103

Quote Originally Posted by Crewz View Post
    I don't know of any automatic trannies that go into neutral when you're stopped. One of the reasons you have to hold the brake to keep from pulling into the person in front of you or through your stop. When coasting it may feel like it's in neutral cause you're not applying power into the tranny, but the valve body still has it engaged into drive and as soon as you hit the gas it'll transfer that power.

How bad is the vibration? Are you running the AC when you feel the vibration? I think what you're are experiencing is normal. There's many variables that cause the engine to idle a little rough. If your AC is on then it is adding a load to your engine, not to mention your alternator and water pump also add a load. At idle your engine produces the least amount of power. Also, at low RPMs your pistons are working / firing at a slower speed which can create a frequency that will resinate throughout the car. The engine mounts help to reduce the vibration felt a little, but not all of it.
    I knew I had read the neutral shift somewhere. On page 9-30 in the 2012 manual it states, " The vehicle has an automatic neutral shift feature which allows the transmission to automatically shift to N (Neutral) when the vehicle is stopped with a forward gear engaged. The reduced load on the engine improves vehicle fuel economy."

I believe there is another place in the manual that also mentions possible rollback on a hill because of this feature but I don't have time to dig it out at the moment.

To answer your question Crewz, yes I do have the AC running and when the temps moderate I will test with the AC off. That very well could be a factor causing extra strain on the engine at a low rpm idle.

I am really not to worried about it just wondered if anyone else had noticed. I like the car more each day I drive it and have only had it a week now.

Ben Franklin

Crewz, I confirmed what you and others had thought might be part of the problem. AC off idle at a stop was not as rough, you and others were "spot on"

Ben Franklin

Driver's Ed
    I bought a 2012 Eco about a week and a half ago and I've noticed the same thing. I swear I feel a vibration in the drivers seat, but just enough of one to notice it. I only feel it when I'm stopped, like at a light or intersection, and I don't feel it as much if I'm leaning forward in the seat as opposed to having my back and head against the headrest Sometimes I don't feel it at all, sometimes I do to varying degrees. I've been using the AC, but I've also turned it off and still felt it. I don't notice it when the car is moving, only when I'm stopped (braked, not in park).

I was also wondering if anyone else had noticed anything like this and if it's normal or something I should get checked.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast