Turbocharger Failure?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Turbocharger Failure?

Exclamation Turbocharger Failure?

I may have a turbocharger failure. I just entered on highway and I had around 60MPH. When I pushed the gas to pass another car, suddenly I felt the engine losing power and I saw dense blue smoke behind. I drove the car another 10 miles to home and the engine felt under power all the time. Trying to push the gas, I saw again blue smoke. I have MT so I played with the speeds to get some power. Check engine showed up. And…. Warnings regarding the stability and traction control! I have Trifecta so today I’m going to put back the factory tune and I'll go to the dealer in the morning. I can hear rattling when engine is idling. Will see what’s happening tomorrow. Anybody had similar experience with turbo?
    Last edited by CRUISE-CRUZE; 12-25-2011 at 04:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUISE-CRUZE View Post
    I may have a turbocharger failure. I just entered on highway and I had around 60MPH. When I push the gas to pass a car, suddenly I felt the engine losing power and I saw dense blue smoke behind. I drove the car another 10 miles to home and the engine felt under power all the time. Trying to push the gas, I saw again blue smoke. I have MT so I played with the speeds to get some power. Check engine showed up. And…. Warnings regarding the stability and traction control! I have Trifecta so today I’m going to put back the factory tune and I'll go to the dealer in the morning. I can hear rattling when engine is idling. Will see what’s happening tomorrow. Anybody had similar experience with turbo?
    I haven't seen any post like this here yet. Please keep us informed as to how everything goes! Good luck man.
    Mike

This is what I said too! Car has 11k miles and 5k since I added Trifecta.

flash back immediately and bring it back tomorrow

didnt spaceme have the same issue?

Just did the flash back. I read the OBD code first. They areP0299 (Turbo/Super Charger Underboost) and P0304. After reflash I drove the car a few miles but the check engine didn’t show up again. Just “stability traction service”. The car is underpowered and going up over 2000 RPM it’s starting rattling, smoking. I hope for something minor like a sensor, hose, but it could be much more regarding the turbo charger. I’ll see tomorrow….

Yes, it is but it's strange that I got so many warnings:
    P0304, P0299, stability and traction control warnings + lights.
    P0304 - Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Description

This is conjecture, but look under the hood and make sure all your intake piping is secured. Something may have come loose or broken and the boost could be venting out before it gets to your engine. That could cause an extreme rich condition due to the computer mapping and the MAF sensor, especially if you have a hole between the turbo and the intake manifold. you may be flooding your cylinders, causing the misfire and blue smoke. It should also give the p0299 code.

Retired Moderator

Blue smoke is oil burning in the exhaust. The places oil could get into the exhaust in quantities enough to burn are the valves/valve guides, PCV system, and the turbo. Seeing how the OP has blue smoke, no power, and a DTC indicating no boost when commanded, it's likely the turbo ate a seal.

A rich condition would be black smoke from the soot caused by unburned fuel. And the ECU (it's a manual car, so the engine computer doesn't control the transmission, therefore ECU) would be skewing the injectors as much as it could to correct that condition., setting a LTFT out of range code and pegging the long-term fuel trims to -16.4.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Learning about my Cruze ShowCar's Avatar
    Sorry to see this thread. Good luck with the dealer fix.
    Daily Driver
    2013 Cruze 2LT RS
    Crystal Red

ShowCar
    2012 Corvette Grand Sport
    Artic White
    12 mpg

I detail collector cars for a living. If you have a car care question please pm me.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast