Is Mobil 1 really the best? - Page 12
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Is Mobil 1 really the best?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTaurus View Post
    Oil additives aren't a good idea.

As for 30k miles on the same oil? You sir are crazy.. lol.
    It's synthetic oil, not oil additives. I know better than to use those after my Uncle (who happens to be a mechanic) showed me a couple engines that used them regularly.
    As for 30k miles on the same oil, why not? With oil analysis, why should you change it if it's still performing at near the level it was new? And since the company has an engine warranty program for their oil, why NOT save some money over the long run? Amsoil touts the same type of routine, although I don't know if they have a warranty for their products.
    Now ... As for that crazy part, let's just say there's no medical proof of that yet!
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD Traded in for 2014 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos pushin' 680 ponies to the wheels!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bryanakron40 View Post
    Either that or the cleaner is bad for the filter and can cause it to come apart. If it sends stuff to the filter that will plug it, it is sending the same stuff through the pump, which is bad for the pump. Just something to consider.
    With as many people that use these products on a regular basis, I'd say it works as advertised. I also know from personal experience that it does NOT damage the fuel filter, it just plugs it from all the crap you have in your fuel system! My step-dad used it in his 3/4 ton Suburban, and just as sure as your taxes are to increase, the fuel filter got plugged up! Changed the filter just like the product said we'd have to, and low and behold, the old beast actually got better mileage, albeit 1-2 mpg may not seem like a lot, but what do you expect from a 6k+ pound vehicle with a 350 and no overdrive. The company has been around over 40 years, so I don't think they'd still be doing what they're doing if the products didn't work as advertised. Maybe I'll have time to make a video of a "test strip" comparison of their product compared to a leading brand like STP complete fuel system cleaner and the results can speak for themselves ... More to follow soon?
    Last edited by spaycace; 12-08-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Duke of Oil
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    It's synthetic oil, not oil additives. I know better than to use those after my Uncle (who happens to be a mechanic) showed me a couple engines that used them regularly.
    As for 30k miles on the same oil, why not? With oil analysis, why should you change it if it's still performing at near the level it was new? And since the company has an engine warranty program for their oil, why NOT save some money over the long run? Amsoil touts the same type of routine, although I don't know if they have a warranty for their products.
    Now ... As for that crazy part, let's just say there's no medical proof of that yet!
    On what car has your oil testing analysis shown that your oil is suitable for use to 30k? At least on the Cruze, oil testing analysis shows the factory fill is done by 7500, and you can go 10-12k on Mobil1 full syn.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide App
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    On what car has your oil testing analysis shown that your oil is suitable for use to 30k? At least on the Cruze, oil testing analysis shows the factory fill is done by 7500, and you can go 10-12k on Mobil1 full syn.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide App
    I changed my Cruze Eco "out of the factory" oil at around 500 miles, like a lot of other people still do. At roughly 10k miles, I put in the Conklin product (5W30) and when the oil life monitor got to 12%, I would take a sample and send it to an independent laboratory (Tribology) for testing. No matter what the results, I would change the filter at 10k miles and then as determined by the lab results, I would change the oil completely. So, I switched to the Conklin prduct at 10k miles. At approx 20k miles (and after Lab analysis) I changed my filter and added about 12 oz of new oil. At approx 30k miles (and again after Lab analysis results), changed the filter and added about 12 more oz of new oil. At approx 40k miles, Lab analysis said it was time to change the oil, so I did a full oil change & as always, a filter change. I also use Baldwin brand filters in all my vehicles, as they are a "heavy duty" filter, not the cheap stuff from the local walmart. I'm in the process of tracking down the analysis reports so I can post the results here for you & everyone else to see.
    The car runs great and I'm going to switch the manny tranny fluid to the Conklin product as soon as I get the free time to do so.

Autocross Champion
    Maybe someone can verify or correct me on this, but I recall reading that if you let your oil quality drop below 20%, you could void your warranty (or parts of it). OnStar sends me an email monthly which includes (among other data points) the oil readings.
    No more Cruze Now driving a 2014 Genesis Coup 3.8 R-Spec.

Eco
    Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by cruze01 View Post
    Guys, I'm certainly no expert but I have studied this topic extensively. I have reviewed probably dozens of oil sample reports for Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and many others. My observation is that it doesn't make a squats worth of difference! Are the premium oils better? Maybe a little but not enough to warrant the cost and trouble. The reports show that wear levels between the brands are so insignificant that it really isn't worth worrying over. If your using a name brand full synthetic oil and doing regular maintenance on your cruze its going to last many years, probably longer than most of us will care to keep it.
    I suggest everyone read this.
    http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Eco
    Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by titan2782 View Post
    Maybe someone can verify or correct me on this, but I recall reading that if you let your oil quality drop below 20%, you could void your warranty (or parts of it). OnStar sends me an email monthly which includes (among other data points) the oil readings.
    It's not oil quality monitor, it's an oil life monitor, which is just an algorithm. If it says there is 20% life left in it, then there is 20% life left in it.

World Rally Champion
    They always say 10% they told me that on my 09 mailbu I change it when it says 30% left and that's at 7500 mile +/- 100 miles.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    GO FOR GOLD

http://www.youtube.com/user/H377ON3ARTH?feature=mhee

2012 ECO 6MT

Current Mods:
    K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake,Tinted Windows, Custom Made Cat Back Exhaust With IMCO High Flow Muffler, Trifecta Performance Tune Plasti-dipped stock ECO rims, ZZP Down-pipe, M-Tech Shifter Shortener, 15" Incriminator Audio Subwoofer in Custom Built Box pushed by a Hifonics BRZ-2100.

Duke of Oil
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    I changed my Cruze Eco "out of the factory" oil at around 500 miles, like a lot of other people still do. At roughly 10k miles, I put in the Conklin product (5W30) and when the oil life monitor got to 12%, I would take a sample and send it to an independent laboratory (Tribology) for testing. No matter what the results, I would change the filter at 10k miles and then as determined by the lab results, I would change the oil completely. So, I switched to the Conklin prduct at 10k miles. At approx 20k miles (and after Lab analysis) I changed my filter and added about 12 oz of new oil. At approx 30k miles (and again after Lab analysis results), changed the filter and added about 12 more oz of new oil. At approx 40k miles, Lab analysis said it was time to change the oil, so I did a full oil change & as always, a filter change. I also use Baldwin brand filters in all my vehicles, as they are a "heavy duty" filter, not the cheap stuff from the local walmart. I'm in the process of tracking down the analysis reports so I can post the results here for you & everyone else to see.
    The car runs great and I'm going to switch the manny tranny fluid to the Conklin product as soon as I get the free time to do so.
    I would be curious to see what their metric for oil quality is. Those of us who have changed our oil and sent it to Blackstone labs have reported nowhere near the numbers you have. I wonder if there's perhaps a discrepancy in oil testing methods and what would be constituted as acceptable oil. The idea behind this is the amount of detergents in the oil. As we should all know, oil is designed to hold contaminants so they don't get deposited around the engine, specifically around the turbo and its bearings. Once the detergents in the oil have been depleted, the oil can no longer hold contaminants. From what I understand, it's things like this that Blackstone Labs tests for.

I guess it's really up to you what you want to do, but with a new turbo costing well over $1,500 (or was it $3,000?), it's not exactly a risk everyone will be willing to take for a couple of $26 full syn oil changes.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Starks8 View Post
    So what do you guys think the best synthetic oil is then? And which one would provide the best protection for the Cruze's turbo engine, if not Mobile 1?
    Mobil 1. It's nothing at all like Mobile 1. Mobiles are those goddamned low hanging fruity arts n crafts things we used to make in 5th grade. Why didn't they teach us something useful like calculus or quantum mechanics?

I kid...I kid.....just glad I'm not one anymore.
    spaycace likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast