Is Mobil 1 really the best?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Is Mobil 1 really the best?

Off-Road Champion

Is Mobil 1 really the best?

I was reading other forums after my buddy with a Spec B Legacy claims many steer away from Mobil 1 when it comes to turbos because it lacks zinc for proper lubrication. Anyone else heard of this? I'm changing my oil today and am going to try Castrol Edge full syn (32.99 for 5 quarts, special at Autozone), see how that goes.
    Markj2222 likes this.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Off-Road Champion
    Forgot to mention, the many forums I looked at (Subaru and Mitsubishi mainly) are confirming/agreeing with staying clear of Mobil 1.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.

210hp/270tq on E85.

Formula One Champion
    ...the fact that the GM synth-blend dexos 1™ is produced by Mobil must speak for something. GM wouldn't be able to back their 100,000-mile engine warranty on these turbocharged engines if the recommended dexos 1™ oil wasn't good enough to "go" those 100,000-miles.

...of course, what 'might' happen when you reach 100,001-miles is debatable.

...here's a table showing what Mobil has to offer: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

P.S. -- it's the phosphorus, not zinc (per se) in the ZDDP mixture that provides the protection in your engine.
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 06-18-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Mobil 1 was factory fill in all the lnf turbo engines. That's good enough for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Mobile 1 is proven technology that has led the way in synthetic oils for many years. But I would like to hear more details about the thought that it is not good enough.
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

Off-Road Champion
    I'm not implying I think we should stop using it, just a subject to consider. All I did after my buddy mentioned this was google search "Is mobil 1 bad for turbos" and came accross those forums.

I mean, there can't be anything wrong with it, especially since some have gotten their oil analyzed and found little metal(normal wear), so I would assume it's okay. Like I said, just something to think about. I think what needs done is an analysis of mobil 1 compared to an analysis of a 'claimed more-trusted' oil like Castrol Edge or Valvoline SynPower(from what the subby and dsm guys use). You never know I suppose, despite GM's successful background with Mobil 1.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance

210hp/270tq on E85.

Autocross Champion
    Agreed - Mobil 1 is probably not the Best Synthetic. But still plenty good. I had a Supercharged Mercedes and it was factory fill. The oil change interval was 10k miles per the maintenance schedule.

Administrator
    Best? Probably not. There's always something better...if you're willing to pay for it. Most practical? You bet. When I can walk into Walmart and get a 5 quart jug for $26, you can bet I'm not not going to be spending double on Amsoil or RP. It's available at almost every auto store, and it's Dexos1 approved. It tests well after 10k miles in the Cruze, which is good enough for me.
    sedanman and DonnieZcruzE like this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Eco
    Handbrake Released
    I do purchase RP because I plan on going 10K each time. RP holds up to gasoline contamination better, and it's loaded with a ton more additives. You can also purchase RP oil that contains an abundance of ZDDP (Zinc) the regular RP stuff has plenty of Zinc in it which is used as a dry film lubricant. Too much Zinc they say can hard cats and o2 sensors and the like : |

But honestly MOST synthetic oil today is far and away superior to any conventional oil back in the day (late 90s etc)...

So Mobil 1 most definitely isn't the best, and it's actually not as good as it used to be, is it good enough? Yep. It sure is.
    XtremeRevolution likes this.

So what do you guys think the best synthetic oil is then? And which one would provide the best protection for the Cruze's turbo engine, if not Mobile 1?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast