towing 1300lbs jet boat with cruze??? - Page 16
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 158 of 158
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: towing 1300lbs jet boat with cruze???

  1. #151
    Administrator

    obermd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    12,502
    Actually the tow ratings Aussie posted are right in line with the tow ratings for the North American Cruze. 900 lbs in Austrialia vs. 1000 lbs in the US for a trailer that doesn't have brakes. 1300 lbs for a trailer that has brakes makes sense because it means the trailer can help stop itself. The problem in the US is that our legal system has made it impossible for GM to publish "split" numbers like this because some fool will see the 1300 lbs and think oh - I can go to 1500 safely as long as I'm careful even though their trailer doesn't have brakes. As it was OP warped a front brake rotor during the time he was towing. Whether or not this was due to towing in the heat is debatable, but if something else had failed that normally would have been covered under warranty GM would have been within their rights to deny the claim.

    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #152
    2nd Gear grs1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    495
    Um, your mathematics needs some work.

    695 kg is ~1500 lbs
    1200 kg is ~2600 lbs

  4. #153
    Administrator

    obermd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    12,502
    Quote Originally Posted by grs1961 View Post
    Um, your mathematics needs some work.

    695 kg is ~1500 lbs
    1200 kg is ~2600 lbs
    There was no "units" listed and I stupidly assumed pounds and not kilograms. These numbers make me think the Holden Cruze is definitely as more beefed up car than what we have in North America. I suspect better brakes (all wheel disc), a slightly beefier transmission, and a better engine cooling system. These are the three areas that most impact towing capacity.

    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

  5. #154
    2nd Gear grs1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    495
    The units are listed, but in the title line:
    (M)aximum towing capacities (kg)

    The M got chopped off when he took the picture.

  6. #155
    Handbrake Released spaycace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by grs1961 View Post
    The units are listed, but in the title line:
    (M)aximum towing capacities (kg)

    The M got chopped off when he took the picture.
    And even though the M was cut out of the picture, the (kg) at the end was clearly visible ... Nice catch grs1961

    Interestingly enough however, the following was taken from the 2012 Cruze Owner's Manual (even though it says for the Eco, "The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.")

    Driving and Operating 9-51



    Maintenance When TrailerTowing
    The vehicle needs service more
    often when pulling a trailer. See this manual's Maintenance Schedule or
    Index for more information. Things
    that are especially important in trailer operation are automatic
    transmission fluid, engine oil, axle
    lubricant, belts, cooling system, and brake system. It is a good idea to
    inspect these before and during the trip.
    Check periodically to see that all hitch nuts and bolts are tight.
    Engine Cooling When Trailer
    Towing
    The cooling system may temporarily overheat during severe operating
    conditions. See Engine Overheating on page 1018.

    Trailer Towing (Fuel
    Economy Model)
    The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.

    Trailer Towing (Except
    Fuel Economy Model)
    Before pulling a trailer, there are
    three important considerations that have to do with weight:
    .The weight of the trailer.
    .The weight of the trailer tongue.
    .The total weight on your vehicle's tires.

    Weight of the Trailer
    How heavy can a trailer safely be? It should never weigh more than
    454 kg (1,000 lbs). But even that can be too heavy.
    Last edited by spaycace; 01-05-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD Traded in for 2014 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos pushin' 680 ponies to the wheels!

  7. #156
    2nd Gear grs1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    ...
    Interestingly enough however, the following was taken from the 2012 Cruze Owner's Manual (even though it says for the Eco, "The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.")
    ...
    That's... Interesting... I thought the J-car was the J-car regardless of where it was built!

    Of course, the local environment can evidently have an effect on what the manual says!!

  8. #157
    Administrator

    obermd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    12,502
    Quote Originally Posted by grs1961 View Post
    That's... Interesting... I thought the J-car was the J-car regardless of where it was built!

    Of course, the local environment can evidently have an effect on what the manual says!!
    The local legal environment makes a huge difference. We supposedly have a country of laws - but is actually a country run by lawyers.

    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

  9. #158
    Off-Road Champion Aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    And even though the M was cut out of the picture, the (kg) at the end was clearly visible ... Nice catch grs1961

    Interestingly enough however, the following was taken from the 2012 Cruze Owner's Manual (even though it says for the Eco, "The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.")

    Driving and Operating 9-51



    Maintenance When TrailerTowing
    The vehicle needs service more
    often when pulling a trailer. See this manual's Maintenance Schedule or
    Index for more information. Things
    that are especially important in trailer operation are automatic
    transmission fluid, engine oil, axle
    lubricant, belts, cooling system, and brake system. It is a good idea to
    inspect these before and during the trip.
    Check periodically to see that all hitch nuts and bolts are tight.
    Engine Cooling When Trailer
    Towing
    The cooling system may temporarily overheat during severe operating
    conditions. See Engine Overheating on page 1018.

    Trailer Towing (Fuel
    Economy Model)
    The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer.

    Trailer Towing (Except
    Fuel Economy Model)
    Before pulling a trailer, there are
    three important considerations that have to do with weight:
    .The weight of the trailer.
    .The weight of the trailer tongue.
    .The total weight on your vehicle's tires.

    Weight of the Trailer
    How heavy can a trailer safely be? It should never weigh more than
    454 kg (1,000 lbs). But even that can be too heavy.
    I have done a lot of heavy towing in the past, mostly with automatic vehicles. The trick to cut down on overheating of both transmission and engine is to run a separate transmission oil cooler, this keeps the transmission cooler and prevents hot transmission oil from causing the radiator to run hotter as I didn't use the core in the radiator to do any work other than keeping the water cooler. Made a huge difference and never had any temp problems when towing even in 100 degree F plus days.
    Last edited by Aussie; 01-06-2013 at 01:36 PM.

  10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Similar Threads

  1. Towing with an ECO
    By Okie_Pilot in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 08:55 AM
  2. Cruze towing
    By topgun966 in forum Powertrain
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
  3. Towing Ideas...
    By Andy2012ltz_rs in forum Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
  4. 2012 Dingy Towing
    By bbohnnd in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM
  5. Dinghy towing: Anyone else get this letter from GM?
    By scaredpoet in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2