towing 1300lbs jet boat with cruze???

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: towing 1300lbs jet boat with cruze???

Learning about my Cruze

towing 1300lbs jet boat with cruze???

i bought a 96 seadoo speedster very light boat trailer and boat wieght 1300lbs the boat launch i put in at is perfect no to steep and the concrete is grated so there is no traction issues at all my question is whats the most wieght any you guys have towed
    and if the cruze struggles a lil i would prolly get the trifecta tune get a lil more power out
    my trip is only lik 10 miles all high way so its not stop and go

i dont need u guys tellin me how its unsafe i cant stop it i just want to kno if any1 has towed allot of wieght and if it can handle it short
    distances i have the ltz with larger brakes and turbo engine

and is there enough hitch clearance on the rs package

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

500lbs max tow, wouldn't recommend it. RS bumper makes it almost impossible. Most didn't buy a Cruze to tow lol. I know you don't care to hear this, but 1300lbs is very unsafe. The tune wont really help, youre just going to chew your clutches up quicker that way, if not worse
    obermd likes this.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Learning about my Cruze
    the manual say 1000lbs im lookn at it this way a jeep has 190hp at 200lb torque and can tow like 2500lbs a cruze has
    138hp 148 tq and the trq is achived at 1850 rpms so i cant see an issue with towing it
    trifecta tune bumps it to 172hp 200 tq thats **** the same as a 4.0l jeep and the cruze wieghs less just food for thought
    im not worried bout clutches 5/100,000 i work at the dealer so mine will be covered

Formula One Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTaurus View Post
    Most didn't buy a Cruze to tow lol. I know you don't care to hear this, but 1300lbs is very unsafe.
    I completely agree, this car is not designed to tow. Think the cruze can only have about 900lb of payload including passengers(see sticker on door of car). Just asking for early wear out of rear suspension & transmission not to mention risking others lives when driving on public roads(what happens when a spring breaks at highway speed?)

Lifetime: 10.4 cents per mile @ $3.67 average price over 60K miles

Learning about my Cruze
    very unlikely this is not a taurus for cryin out loud

Spacedout is right. This is an economical car were talking here.. GM really didn't have towing in mind when they manufactured this car. The suspension in the LTZ's are sport tuned, but for cornering mainly and still weak when it comes to hauling something behind it over 500lbs.

Do what you want though.. you wanted opinions/suggestions, you got them. Just looking out for the safety of you, and others.

FWIW, the new taurus's can actually haul alot more than the Cruzes. They're a beefy midsized sedan now, not what they were in the 90's.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.

210hp/270tq on E85.

Learning about my Cruze
    yea no doubt the new taurus are sick but im talkin late 90 early 2000s with the broken spring i have a 2001 sable i would put a hitch on but its a work car 160,000 miles and i dont trust it i kno i will be keepin the cruze till at least the 3yr/36k runs out
    but i ordered the trifecta tune and hitch this morning hope fully i will have it all installed by 15 which will be the 1st time i take the bout out with the cruze ill take pics, gas milage, and how it does pullin it mayb the week after ill take the tune off and see how it does with out it if the cruze doesnt end up at the bottom of the lake lol

Yeah if this works post it, i'm sure many will want to see proof. Good luck though man, I'd be extra careful. I'm sure you already know
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance

210hp/270tq on E85.

Retired Moderator

It's just fine. The Australian Cruze has a 695 kg tow rating without trailer brakes, and a 1200 kg rating with trailer brakes. And, it's the same 1.4T engine and same transmissions we get here!!! Holden Cruze Series II

To the OP: You're fine, enjoy the jetboat!
    Hoon likes this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Learning about my Cruze
    its very light boat and its takes in no water when i pull the plug on the boat launch barely any water pours out i could see a problem if i had a large amount of water in the bilge but i dont plus i dont believe i will put gas in the boat till a block from the marina to reduce wieght when towing

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.