GM finally admitting there is a problem with 1.4L pistons
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: GM finally admitting there is a problem with 1.4L pistons

Driver's Ed

GM finally admitting there is a problem with 1.4L pistons

#PIP5036: Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston Or Pistons - (Jun 25, 2012)

Subject:

Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston Or Pistons

Models:

2011 - 2013 Chevrolet Cruze, Sonic
    1.4 LUJ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

You may encounter a customer concern of oil consumption, blue smoke from the exhaust.

There may be oil in the intake and turbo ducts or no oil found in the intake system.

Verify that oil consumption is greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 km (2000 mi).

Recommendation/Instructions:

If all diagnostic have been followed without isolating the concern.

We need to remove the pistons to inspect for a crack piston or pistons at the ring land between the number 1 and 2 ring.

Replace the pistons as needed using the part numbers in the catalog.

Do not replace the engine for this unless the block is damaged which is not common.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
    Aeroscout977, Starks8 and bbdhomer like this.
    2011 Cruze LTZ RS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Time to install that oil catch can...

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    OnlyTaurus and CruzeTech like this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Retired Moderator

Good to know, and thank you for sharing!
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

5th Gear
    Interesting. Someone fill me in.
    HOW TO: Gain Access to Side-Markers

Current: Smoked Side Marker Lenses, Black Bow Ties, Bluetooth PDIM, Reso Delete, 35/5% Tint, TCollins Big 3 Kit, Dashcam
    Soon: Custom Tablet Magnet Mount, De-Chrome, ?

Ive never seen a turbo that didnt have some oil wetting in the intake. Especially if you put some miles on these things. And I just saw someone on here that had one installed. I didnt read the thread though, as I initially saw it as a unnecessary mod. Even if you install a catch can you will see some oil in it. I doubt it will be like some of the DSM ones where you actually need to put a sight gauge on the side of it...LOL

You should've seen the Cruze I worked on a few weeks ago. The compressor seal blew out of the turbo, sending oil ALL through the piping, intercooler, manifold. It was insane how bad it was. I had to physically take all the components out and 'dump' the oil that was tracked inside it all. Crazy...
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Eco
    Handbrake Released
    SO far... So good. This Cruze is the only turbo car that I've never burned oil on. I think I added 3/4s of 1 quart after 10K miles. By that point the oil had probably thinned quite a bit, added a bit and ran it to about 12K.

So I couldn't be happier. With my 2.0TFSI passat 6MT ('06) I had to add almost a quart every 1200 miles. It would have fresh oil in it after the 5K miles. : |

Still waiting for a legit catch can kit.

'12 Cruze Eco 6M Topaz Blue

It seems the Cruze is becoming one very interesting car to own. Lets see we have pistons a cracking-Antifreeze a smelling and Engines a lighting sounds like Christmas in July.
    fastdriver, JeffBazell and Lisa like this.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohdan View Post
    It seems the Cruze is becoming one very interesting car to own. Lets see we have pistons a cracking-Antifreeze a smelling and Engines a lighting sounds like Christmas in July.
    In all fairness, we need to remember that these are not the norm, but incidents that appear to be more prevalent due to the nature of online discussion boards. CruzeTalk is a hub of sorts where people come to discuss their problems. For every one person that joins to post about a problem they're having, there are hundreds if not thousands who don't have any issues that don't join.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast