1.4L - Mod For Better Airflow to Intercooler - Page 6
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1.4L - Mod For Better Airflow to Intercooler

Driver's Ed
    The larger opening you've made will most likely result in less air flow through the intercooler. Smaller opening equals higher velocity (lower pressure), so more air flows through the more narrow opening (like putting your thumb over the end of a water hose), which would cause better cooling and aerodynamics, than a larger opening. Venturi effect: "The Venturi effect is a jet effect; as with a funnel the velocity of the fluid increases as the cross sectional area decreases."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    what are the airtube restrictions?

If the car does fine with the "restricted airflow" then I would leave it alone.. Ecos are made to be aerodynamic, and i'm all for it. I've never had a problem with my car struggling to build boost.. so i don't see the need to take the covers off. Even the intake temp of these cars stay really low. I have a interceptor scan gauge that reads intake temps and i've never really seen it more than 10-15 degrees higher than the outside temp with normal driving.
    Current
    2011 Chevy Cruze Eco 1.4T
    - Full Injen cold air kit, Forge BOV, Trifecta tuned, Clear side markers, AutoMeter Cobalt Boost Gauge & Aeroforce Interceptor, Tinted windows
    1994 Chevy K2500 6.5TD
    1988 Yamaha V-MAX
    2005 Suzuki DR-650

Past
    1995 Chevy S-10 2.2L (First car)
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L 5-Speed
    2007 Kawasaki Eliminator 125
    2007 Suzuki DR-650
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote Originally Posted by jchasp View Post
    The larger opening you've made will most likely result in less air flow through the intercooler. Smaller opening equals higher velocity (lower pressure), so more air flows through the more narrow opening (like putting your thumb over the end of a water hose), which would cause better cooling and aerodynamics, than a larger opening. Venturi effect: "The Venturi effect is a jet effect; as with a funnel the velocity of the fluid increases as the cross sectional area decreases."

Agreed!
    Current
    2011 Chevy Cruze Eco 1.4T
    - Full Injen cold air kit, Forge BOV, Trifecta tuned, Clear side markers, AutoMeter Cobalt Boost Gauge & Aeroforce Interceptor, Tinted windows
    1994 Chevy K2500 6.5TD
    1988 Yamaha V-MAX
    2005 Suzuki DR-650

Past
    1995 Chevy S-10 2.2L (First car)
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L 5-Speed
    2007 Kawasaki Eliminator 125
    2007 Suzuki DR-650
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Learning about my Cruze
    I'm not sure where I am on this. Looking on the inside at the cooling fan there is a shroud all around the intercooler/AC condenser/radiator that funnels it to the fan.
    Got My New Crystal Red Metalic Tintcoat 2012 1.4T 6 auto 1LT on 11/26/2012!
    Mods: 44 psi in tires, K&N drop in filter, resonator delete, NEXT???.
    2006 Honda ST1300
    1994 Kawasaki KLX650C

Okay I'm going to chime in on this. On my friend Franks 2012 RS automatic who has the same 1.4 turbo motor that I have his grill opening is much larger than that on my Eco manual. Also on the 1.8L motors the grill opening is much larger. This completely leads me to believe that it was done for aerodynamics. Has anyone else observed the size of the openings of the grills as well on different levels of the Cruze?

Sent from my Telefunken U47 Electronic Response Unit
    spacedout likes this.
    Missing our 1st generation Aveos everyday!
    02 Chevrolet Suburban Z71
    04 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan (Sold but not forgotten!)
    07 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Hatchback (Sold but not forgotten!)
    12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6MT
    12 Chevrolet Sonic 2LT (wifes new car)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCruze2012 View Post
    Okay I'm going to chime in on this. On my friend Franks 2012 RS automatic who has the same 1.4 turbo motor that I have his grill opening is much larger than that on my Eco manual. Also on the 1.8L motors the grill opening is much larger. This completely leads me to believe that it was done for aerodynamics. Has anyone else observed the size of the openings of the grills as well on different levels of the Cruze?

Yes the eco has several more holes blocked off to help aid in efficiency.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCruze2012 View Post

Previously in the thread I mentioned the difference with links to both, unfortunately only one link is working now. I would add the plastic from the eco to my RS to block more to gain a small percentage of MPG highway If I could.

Only way removing these would increase air flow to the radiator is in city driving situations.

Lifetime: 10.7 cents per mile @ $3.74 average price over 49K miles

Look at the Cruze Diesel. It's got about 40% less opening on the upper grill compared to a Cruze LT.

http://www.gm.ca/images/vehicles/201...issions_02.jpg

Off-Road Champion
    A discussion in a similar thread on a FMIC. My response is below Sciphi. This may answer some of your questions.

Originally Posted by sciphi
    IIRC the shutter system will set a CEL if it can't work since the car needs it to meet EPA fuel economy ratings. It's a piece of "emissions-control gear".

Losing a pound of boost but having boost sooner sounds like it's less restrictive than the stocker. The turbo doesn't have to work as hard to move air, so it's not needing to pressurize the air as much. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Nope, I'd say you hit the nail on the head. IIRC, it was said that the inlet and outlet bends are 'kinked' by design, so the airflow doesn't have the 'highway' it did in the actual piping before and after the intercooler. I looked and verified. I'd say that's the restriction.

If you're stock, its probably fine. But for the tuned guys with highers pressures, it's more difficult for the airflow to squeeze through the inlet and outlet of the IC.

Combining this with ZZP's pipes should reduce lag quite a bit I'd say, resulting in even better(and sooner) low end torque.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456