1.4L - Mod For Better Airflow to Intercooler
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1.4L - Mod For Better Airflow to Intercooler

1.4L - Mod For Better Airflow to Intercooler

Hello.

I discovered a very easy modification for getting more airflow to the intercooler (and radiator). I was looking at the front end of my 2011 Cruze LTZ and noticed two blacked out areas on either side of the front bumper grill. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the blacked out areas on either side of the grill are two flat pieces of soft plastic that fit on the backside of the grill and are held in place by a few tabs on the grill and slots in the plastic peices. I firmly pushed with my fingers through the grill and was able to dislodge the pieces. To get the pieces out of the bumper, I opened the hood and removed four plastic locking buttons (not sure what you call them) in the front near the hood latch and removed two bolts, one on either side to be able the pull the bumper forward. With the top of the bumper forward , there is enough room to fit your hand and arm through a slot and remove each of the black pieces. I am sure that the pieces were there to help with the aerodynamics and fuel economy but I can't see how they could make much difference. Anyway, now the grill on my car doesn't block any airflow to the the radiator and intercooler. I will post pictures tomorrow when I get a chance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Interesting idea. You have likely increased high output performance cooling, and decreased aero and mpg performance. For example, on the Cruze ECO, they have auto dampers that close off even more of the airflow.

I asume those parts are surely needed, as GM does not spend a penny they do not have to, and if the engineers thought they could get away without those pieces, they would not be there.
    jchasp likes this.
    2011 Cruze LTZ (Black Granite Metallic)

It sounds like you mean the fog light covers - without fogs

Quote Originally Posted by shawn672 View Post
    It sounds like you mean the fog light covers - without fogs
    No, it's not the fog light covers. Take a look a the front grill directly below the bow tie. On the backside of the grill on either side there is a flat piece of plastic that blocks off approximately 4 inches of the grill. I would estimate about 30 to 40 % is blocked off.

World Rally Champion
    I just seen a Commercial on TV for the Cruze & seen the plastic you are talking about. This picture below shows it very well.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ grille Photo - Car and Driver
    blk88verde likes this.

The Engineers put it there for a reason. Just because you or I do not know what that reason is does not mean it is a good idea to remove it.
    jchasp likes this.

Handbrake Released
    From all the cars I ever had ,rule of thumb more airflow over the intercooler and the cooling system the better. I'm sure he did not loose MPG it still traveling through the engine comp. area.

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbick View Post
    The Engineers put it there for a reason. Just because you or I do not know what that reason is does not mean it is a good idea to remove it.

Its pretty easy to see why its there, to increase the MPG of the car by blocking some of the grill opening. Imagine what the front of this car would look like with a grill that much smaller than the current one, the car would look a bit silly with the wide painted section on either side of the grill, much easier to add a bit of plastic to the back of the grill.

That also shows they really over sized the grill opening, they may have realized the extra air flow was unnecessary in most conditions. If I lived in a desert or raced my car I would remove this just to get more air into the radiator.

Handbrake Released
    Well we are looking around what is that round grate inside the air intake box it looks like small cup with holes at the bottem just above the air filter looks like in can be a little restrictive.

Handbrake Released
    I guess its true more MPG they just didnt put it there for no reason.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast