74K views 95 replies 46 participants last post by  XtremeRevolution 
#1 ·
:) I will keep everyone posted.

The way GM should have made it!!!!!

Reason i'm doing this. Just because.

#4 ·
I find this almost impossible.

-You'd have to refabricate the whole engine bay
-It's not going to fit tranverse, and certainly not longitudinal.
-The Cruze is FWD
-If you think the think the trans will fit, let alone sustain that kind of power, you're crazy.
-Axles too
-Suspension too

Among many other things.

With the money you're going to spend to 'try' this project, you can easilt get yourself another GTO..?

#10 ·
Sure. Practical though? Nope.

I can agree with silverls. If you do it, Ill be a believer and will take a trip out to the OP's garage to see it and congratulate him personally. But the thing most don't understand when they get an off-the-wall idea like this is, its going to require alot, repeat, ALOT, of determination, time, frustration, not to mention money.

Most don't understand what they're getting into with a project like this. Just saying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Reactions: silverls
#6 ·
I could understand a northstar swap. Wouldnt be nearly as bad. But this is basicalky gonna require you to buy an impala ss with the FWD 5.3 and swap everything but the motor into the cruze. In my opinion its senseless, but more power to you if you really want to do it.

#12 ·
And that 4T65 was not meant to withstand the 5.3. I rode in one 3-4 years ago, and the owner said he couldn't get on it hard much because it would blow up the transmission in short order. The 6-speed out of the current Impy would be stout enough, though. That V6 has about the same power ratings as the old 5.3.

For my money, I'd swap in a 2.0T powertrain from a Verano Turbo. Similar power can be made with much better fuel economy, won't be a maintenance nightmare with a giant engine in a small engine bay, and it "ought to be" a bolt-in swap.

#9 ·
+1!

#14 ·
Yeah I dont approve of an LS1 Cruze. I did have the thought too but why spend so much time and money converting a fwd to a rwd. I think dropping in a modded cavalier or cobolt engine would be way more effective or maybe a V6 out of a malibu would do wonders.

#15 ·
Wow this blew up fast. Off the bat I had some people calling bullshit. Well it's not.
Yes I got rid of the GTO for something that gets good gas mileage. What I didn't say about the GTO in my first post was that i was tired of that project. The Cruze has great lines and a pretty easy platform for a ls1 swap. As far as resources for parts my guess many of you are only capable of a intake swap with no other know how of building a car.
This isn't my first project, I have built 3 pro streets, 1 twin turbo GT0, 1 Nitrous ls1 GTO, and soon to be the first Ls1 cruze with 4link.
and last. Money...Don't judge someones pockets by how much he posts.

Will keep you all posted.

#36 · (Edited)
Wow this blew up fast. Off the bat I had some people calling bullshit. Well it's not.
Yes I got rid of the GTO for something that gets good gas mileage. What I didn't say about the GTO in my first post was that i was tired of that project. The Cruze has great lines and a pretty easy platform for a ls1 swap. As far as resources for parts my guess many of you are only capable of a intake swap with no other know how of building a car.
This isn't my first project, I have built 3 pro streets, 1 twin turbo GT0, 1 Nitrous ls1 GTO, and soon to be the first Ls1 cruze with 4link.
and last. Money...Don't judge someones pockets by how much he posts.

Will keep you all posted.

If you are really gonna try something that silly, you would be wise to use the LS4. I think it would fit, but is so non-cost effective it is a ridiculous idea.

Problems off the bat:
-Won't fit longitudinally without moving the firewall
-IF you used the LS4 it may fit horizontally, but you will never get a transmission in there without again, moving the firewall
-Axles
-Weight distribution will suck
-Electric steering box has to go
-ground clearance
-oil pan clearance
-Front suspension/steering geometry will most likely have to be reworked (maybe not) to clear the bigger engine
-If you go RWD somehow you will have to refab the entire floor to fit the D/S (and/or exhaust), most likely move the fuel tank for the rear axle, reshape the firewall and move the exhaust

-Punch out the wheel wells to fit bigger tires (optional, but you will most likely need them)

That's just immediate concerns.

You may be able to do it but I say it is well in excess of a $20K project for a car that most likely will drive pretty poorly

#17 ·
Have been around these kinds of projects before, I'll say this much:
is it doable? Absolutely! In a winter? Yeah, maybe. Will it look stock and run with equal reliability? Well, now that depends.
Any ******* with a Saw-Z-All can yank the motor, rip the seats out, hack up the floor pan, and start grafting in a Camaro drivetrain. Is it going to look pretty? Probably not. Is it going to be safe and reliable? Almost definitely not.
Going from FWD to RWD on a unibody platform is a huge engineering feat... But that doesn't stop people from trying.
Now I don't know 8urvette, maybe he owns a fab shop and does this for a living, in which case more power to him, I think it's a cool project idea. But... I suspect like many such projects, it will end up a failure to launch. Or worse yet, end up like Victory Red SS in the Cobalt community. But, I hope not. Wish you nothing but good luck, 8urvette. Can't wait to see pics and vids.

#18 ·
LOL @ you're going to ruin a good cruze. These are economy cars not vintage Ferraris, no one is going to miss one if the project goes badly.

I say **** YES, go for it!

Solid rear axle on a 4 link, T56 and a nice LSX could be absolutely sick if done right.

Take the platform to new places OP. If you really have built pro-streets you should have the competence to fab this up. Sick!

Best of luck, can't wait for pics when you get into it

#22 ·
Although there are lots of platforms I'd like to do an LS1 swap in, the Cruze isn't one that comes to mind. IMO this would require a RWD conversion, but there are so many better RWD platforms already out there, it doesn't make much sense to me.

OTOH, if you're serious and have the money, time, and expertise.... do it and post lots of in progress pictures, followed by completed pics and videos.

#25 ·
Whatever the outcome is going to be it sure will be interesting! I would love to see pics as you move along!

I'm telling you the truth officer! I wasn't speeding but I sure passed a whole bunch of people who were!

#26 ·
If any ls series were going to go into a Cruze, it should be the 9. Just saying :)

Reactions: titan2782
#27 ·
Im helping doing an ls1 in a wrx right now, and at a pro fabrication race shop its already been more than a year and a lot more money than you probably have. And that was atleast awd so there were rwd components there. This will not end well. You sir are dumb. You can list all the prostreets and nitrus cars you've built, but that doesnt matter. Those have been done before and there is a blueprint to follow, other peoples work to follow. All the parts you can order. All of this LSX swap will be custom. more custom than you or most people can do.

If you are serious, I would pm the guy that did the civic ls1, civette. If you do not know who that is or how to get in contact with him, you will never do this.

#28 ·
You sir are dumb.
Stick with agreeing or disagreeing Jayman. Dont insult intelligence please, its not necessary.

#30 ·
View attachment 7956

I'm sure the same was said for every Frankenstein motor swap out there. If no one did it first, there'd be no one to follow.

Curious on why someone would want to put an ls1 in a wrx. The only application I could see where rwd would be better than awd would be drifting and if that's the case, It be smarter to put that endless amount of money into actually drifting. If it's just to show what the shop is capable of, then that's cool.

Don't read that as an attack btw.

#32 ·
I hear you, the gist of the project goes as follows:

Build 2.7 with a 42r turbo, dogbox behind it. Kept having issues, parted out the drivetrain. Sat as a roller for 2 years while its future was decided. Always loved and has an lsx camaro, but prefer the styling of the wrx. It would be incredibly unique, and will be a track/showcar.

We had the shell, had a t56 and ls1 from hanging out with lots of f-body and vette guys, so it only seemed right to combine the two. Going to be a 1/4mile car/Showcar.

#31 ·
it hasn't even been a year and its almost turn-key operational. Try again, pal.

Yes I do know what it takes. My neighbors 18 year old daughter built and drove an 8 second prostreet. But you also have the option to buy one that's done, or close to done, or learn from others who have done it. countless times. This has never been done. few fwd to lsx swaps have been done, let alone on this car. If he does it, then great. But don't expect it to be cheap or quick, and all be done in your garage. Unless you have a badass garage.

#35 ·
People have been swapping LS1s into a ton of different cars for a very long time now... plenty of applications where it "couldn't be done". They have crammed them into Miatas, RX7s, Civics, Supras, BMWs, god the list is endless.

If you have the money, **** why not. It'd be fun to see at least lol

Reactions: titan2782
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.