Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze New Issue - Never ending....

11K views 81 replies 18 participants last post by  ChevyGuy 
#1 ·
It seems I have a new issue that occurred today & I think its the water pump but I am not quite sure. So I will post here for everyone's thoughts & suggestions.

I was cursing down the road normal speed around 45Mph & then all at once I hear a chime & I look down at the DIC & to my surprise I see the heat nearly pegged & the DIC reading Engine temp high or something of that & then A/C off high engine temp. so I pull over & raise the hood & see the reservoir bubbling coolant pushing it out so I let it cool down a bit & then everything returns to normal & I don't experience anther issue until about 25miles later the engine temp starts creeping up to 3rd notch on the temp gauge & the DIC displayed "A/C Off engine temp high" or something of that nature not quite sure I am so frustrated! & the reservoir was nearly full & now its barely got any left in it. & the fan is at full speed

So thoughts & suggestions on what this may be & yay for me another trip to the dealership yet again! Well the car lasted a week before a new issue appeared lucky me huh?

#3 ·
Thermostat is hanging up......sounds like it is working part time....you are doomed to another trip.
Rob
Is this part covered under the special warranty that GM has for this water pump?; or am I gonna have to foot the bill? Also FYI I coolant looking wet on the bottom of the splash pan its the location of the water pump area, coolant is also disappearing due to gasket maybe?

& I feel like throwing up on another trip to the dealership.

#9 ·
Well my powertrain warranty is gone as you may know; however in my booklet states correct me if I am wrong. If the car is kept at the dealership for x days for repair & not with the owner, don't you get those days back.
Do you know what page that is on? No you don't get to count the days your Car was in the shop as lost warranty days, those days are lost forever!

#6 ·
:( Oh no. I'm pretty sure the temp gauge on the Cruze doesn't actually read the real temp. I believe its controlled by the computer and only moves to set points. I've noticed it starts moving once the temp reads 100F and stops at one mark below half when it reaches 180F then it doesn't move a millimeter after that, while my Ultra gauge shows the temp increase up to the 218F-226F mark where it normally operates.

I believe it only moves up to third notch or full HOT when the computer senses it's too hot. Either way, something is wrong again. I'm wondering if there was an air bubble in the system that didn't get worked out when they gave it back, but that would probably leave your surge tank empty instead of bubbling.

I agree that the problem is likely either a failed thermostat or a failed water pump. The thought of you having issues again so soon makes me very sad :(

#7 ·
That was my initial thought maybe it got a air bubble caught & it hiccuped it out & that would be fine. Well it started again after about 25mphs later I get the A/C Off engine temp hot message. The reservoir is nearly empty - as mentioned in my previous post it looked like it had been leaking down on the splash pan but not enough to say exactly its a external leak from it, maybe internal? But non the less I am sick of this mess.

#8 ·
GM has been flexible in the past on the time limits of its warranty interpretation. But inflexible on the mileage.

If you speak in soft and friendly tones there's a good chance that you can get this covered.

If you go in ranting and raving you will likely end up paying out of your pocket.

In an emergency overheat situation always turn off the A/C. Lower all of the windows. Turn the HVAC temperature to max hot. Turn the HVAC fan to its highest speed.

This will effect supplemental engine cooling that can save your engine and get you home or to the dealer.

#10 ·
I bet if you take it back to the dealership that was actually able to fix your car you may be able to get this under a goodwill coverage. Be nice to them. It's possible the leak is something that came loose after your engine was rebuilt.

#12 ·
I am gonna see what the dealership where my car was successfully repaired & see what they will do, & I am always nice & never get upset w/ them as hey what good is yelling gonna do, but beside make me look bad. I have always learned being kind & respectful will go along way!

Update: I went back outside the car is nearly cold & I started it up & it idled for a few mins normally & then all at once the fan speed went into jet mode & will not quit & this is at nearly cold. No engine light (yet!); I had to fill the reservoir tank back to normal.

Also forgot to mention ( bad day since this happened ); when the initial time it did this, the reservoir tank pushed coolant out it badly I'd say about 2 lines on the tank worth & spilled on the transmission casing. Other then that tho & the temp rising somewhat & falling back down nothing else I can think of, so hopefully the dealership will goodwill this if it isn't covered by the CCL or special warranty coverage.

#13 ·
Check the coolant tank for cracks, especially along the seams. If it's the tank this is an easy repair.

#14 ·
Well I checked that it's good, when I opened the hood on the initial time it started you can it like 'overflowed' not sure how when the cap was on it good & tight.

Also what fee would the dealership charge for such thermostat replacement if its that?

#15 ·
I'd think a bad thermostat would set a code. The computer senses the engine temp as well as the radiator temp and sets a code if it's too far off.

If the engine is cold and the fan's in jet mode, I then I have to question if the coolant is flowing properly in the engine.

Since the engine has just been overhauled, I have to wonder about the possibility of a head gasket problem.

#16 ·
I would think you would have 12 mos/12,000 miles of coverage. Isn't that the standard warranty when you get work done at the dealer? They only problem has been proving the new problem is related to the work they did but with the work you had done I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes I actually went outside again when it was completely cold & then started it. It ran til the temp hand came down two notches & then bam the thing went into jet mode again. Well if its a head gasket I am not to worried on as my CCL would cover "gaskets" & I am assuming head gasket would be considered a "gasket" right?

I would think you would have 12 mos/12,000 miles of coverage. Isn't that the standard warranty when you get work done at the dealer? They only problem has been proving the new problem is related to the work they did but with the work you had done I wouldn't think that would be a problem.
Yes that is GM standard warranty because that is what I got when I got them to install my brakes at least 12/12,000 miles whichever comes first. So you would think w/ a rebuilt engine that would as well right?

#22 ·
Well I was actually thinking this today when they kept my car! Now onto the day I had, Well I called the dealership & they said to bring it in & they would squeeze me into the line today which was awesome. I made sure it was ok to drive the car w/ the fan blazing & the service manager said it should be fine, so off I go & during my trip was mainly OK, had about 3 stops to cool down a bit it seems it got a bit hot & coolant pushing out the reservoir; note also I thought maybe it was the thermostat; I grab the hose it really warm & I give it alittle squeeze & I can see bubbles pushing up into the reservoir so would that be a stuck closed thermostat also wouldn't I get a CEL which I never got & also got a few DIC messages 1 was " Coolant is to hot" & the other was "A/C Off due to high engine temp." & no I didn't have the A/C On nor was it on either time the message read on the DIC. So I get to the dealership its doing OK not hot actually got really cool there w/ the fan blazing I turn it off & get it checked in. I am there waiting & waiting & then all at once the service writer approaches me & say we are gonna put you a in a rental as your car is shut down & is broke down on the side of the road w/ the tech & said we are just letting you get out of here! Nice of them.

So I am now in a 2016 Gen2 Cruze 7miles on the odometer; very nice car & runs very awesome. I love it! So Cruzen Vegas you still may win after all I think we spoke to soon people! LOL

#24 ·
Just tell them to keep your car, and that you're keeping the Gen II for all the troubles you've had. :D But seriously, I hope this time it's fixed for good. Can't believe what a mess this ordeal has been for you.

#25 ·
Yeah I know right, just let me keep this new Gen II car :D But on a serious note, I am just thinking what could this be I want to say a thermostat but wouldn't that throw a CEL cause I drove it a good distance to the dealership & you would think the computer would sense a issue in that limit of time right?; Plus now would a thermostat completely disable the car as per it did on the tech that took it out on a test drive?. That morning when I started the car; it sit overnight & got really cold so I started it & then it reached two notches down & here comes the fan on full speed & didn't let up, the next door people could hear it in the house ( that loud! ); so I am just lost of words & thoughts.

So got a few suggestions on thermostat, head gaskets, any other thing's it could be?

#31 ·
I am just hoping there isn't anything serious wrong w/ my car again. Because I am just puzzled as to why my car didn't throw a CEL if it was the thermostat sticking open or closed wouldn't that prompt the system to throw a code? - Also the puking of the coolant out of the reservoir enough to wet transmission & make steam.

Well I'll know monday what is going on hopefully just again really sucks I kept the car a week and 1 day before being sent right back! What a shame right?

#34 ·
Well my 2013 Eco has been doing this for some time now. Dealer replaced the heater core because I was only getting heat on the DS, then the water pump was replaced. They've done warranty work on a coolant tube under the hood. I just had to turn around on the way to work and drop it off again to them. Mine has 101K on it. So if you find out what is causing this, post it here. Thanks!

#35 ·
Update : Called the dealership today as I was a bit concerned because when I left it was broke down on the side of the road. Writer told me they haven't had a chance to finding out the main cause of the issue. So maybe this is a stall on there part as they are not sure what is wrong, but that is me guessing, so once I get a update I'll update everyone.

ctrider :
Once I figure out what is wrong I'll update this thread & what the resolution to the problem was.

#38 ·
Thanks! My dealer has had mine back 3 times now. We thought it was an air bubble because yesterday they put a vacuum pump in the cooling system and it drew air out. I drove it about 150 miles and it was fine, then happened again right near the dealer. they've been great about it, gave me a 2016 Malibu and haven't charged me a cent. IDK if they'll figure it out or not.

#41 · (Edited)
Update : I got a call from the dealership it seems my engine "may" have major engine issues/damages & they will likely need to call in GM tech support. But its still grayish on what exactly is wrong at the moment. So I am just still hanging out awaiting a full diagnosis on the exact issue & I will update everyone once I have more.

#42 ·
I was somewhat surprised Chevy chose to replace the pistons on such a high mileage engine with such a troubled past.

But, they have the checkbook, so they call the shots.

Somewhere near the front of this thread I said something about cutting losses and replace the poor engine......that's where I said there are only new units available and no remans in the pipeline.

I suspect this is now the only option.

Rob

#43 ·
I honestly wish they would just replace my engine all together & be done with it already. However as you mentioned they have the checkbook & are calling all shots, but I cannot complain that much GM has been very good to me thus far & stepping up to the plate handling there business as they should!

But I am just confused as to what major issue's could be wrong w/ a engine w/ new pistons & bearings only a week old!

#44 ·
But I am just confused as to what major issue's could be wrong w/ a engine w/ new pistons & bearings only a week old!
I'm curious as well. From what you describe, it's really is overheating or the system is getting pressurized. I'm having a hard time imagining what could have gone wrong - except for some kind of error in reassembly.

Did it ever overheat before they fixed it?

#47 ·
Hot, not extremely no but it was nice and warm I was able to grip it. Plus if I am not mistaken when my water pump was replaced last year I think the thermostat was replaced as well. So you think it maybe its a head gasket type issue at this point ? Plus if the thermostat was stuck wouldn't it throw a CEL & the tech would be able to find such a issue right off right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.