Ebay catch can BEWARE! - Page 2

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ebay catch can BEWARE!

Markj2222 is online now [OP]
    XR you have a very different driving style, and your not running insane levels of boost. I've been moving oil since i installed the trifecta tune at 5000 miles. It was droplets in the intake, after hard track days, getting the oil over 200C. The volatility absolutely comes into play. Mobile one 5-30w is what i've been running, i have no doubt that amsoil would not mist up as easily. I dont use a catch can for performance, its a such a slow amount of oil making to through the PCV it wouldn't give you detonation. (Unless PCV system failure then it will cause detonation!)

I use the catch can to catch oil cause i get a quart an oil change in the intake. To say that it doesn't happen on a healthy cruze is ridiculous even with amsoil. I can see if your eco driving any cruze it won't move oil, but once you start heating up the oil and running 22+ psi boost the story changes.

I'll do this XR, I'll measure how much i catch with M1, and change it to Amsoil for 2 oil changes, and compare collection difference.

Also lots of cruze owners run catch cans, you should know this as MOD of Cruze talk. And yes you will argue that their PCV systems aren't working properly. But i know that mine and other High output cruzes do have their PCV systems in working order and have pulled their hair out over many nights trying to figure out why they get oil droplets pooling in the throttle body. In a track day i can fill the catch can, a cold month in winter i wont move a drop...

See various catch can cruzes below
    2011 Holden Cruze SRIV – Elite Cruzes
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Manual 6
    Mods: HP Tuners ~22 PSI, 8-11 *Timing advance , 12:1 AFR (WOT)
    Water/Meth 50-120 ML/min, Vtuner Forged Pistons & Valve Springs
    Turbonetics 11038-BB, 2.5 inch exaust, magnaflow muffler.

Tires:
    Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 215/60R16
    220 WHP at 22PSI Soon for 35 PSI @ ??? WHP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Markj2222 is online now [OP]
    Which amsoil will have the lowest volatility, which would you recommend for my catch can test. (If it doesn't fill the can at all i'll buy you a beer)
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Manual 6
    Mods: HP Tuners ~22 PSI, 8-11 *Timing advance , 12:1 AFR (WOT)
    Water/Meth 50-120 ML/min, Vtuner Forged Pistons & Valve Springs
    Turbonetics 11038-BB, 2.5 inch exaust, magnaflow muffler.

Tires:
    Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 215/60R16
    220 WHP at 22PSI Soon for 35 PSI @ ??? WHP

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Markj2222 View Post
    XR you have a very different driving style, and your not running insane levels of boost. I've been moving oil since i installed the trifecta tune at 5000 miles. It was droplets in the intake, after hard track days, getting the oil over 200C. The volatility absolutely comes into play. Mobile one 5-30w is what i've been running, i have no doubt that amsoil would not mist up as easily. I dont use a catch can for performance, its a such a slow amount of oil making to through the PCV it wouldn't give you detonation. (Unless PCV system failure then it will cause detonation!)

I use the catch can to catch oil cause i get a quart an oil change in the intake. To say that it doesn't happen on a healthy cruze is ridiculous even with amsoil. I can see if your eco driving any cruze it won't move oil, but once you start heating up the oil and running 22+ psi boost the story changes.

I'll do this XR, I'll measure how much i catch with M1, and change it to Amsoil for 2 oil changes, and compare collection difference.

Also lots of cruze owners run catch cans, you should know this as MOD of Cruze talk. And yes you will argue that their PCV systems aren't working properly. But i know that mine and other High output cruzes do have their PCV systems in working order and have pulled their hair out over many nights trying to figure out why they get oil droplets pooling in the throttle body. In a track day i can fill the catch can, a cold month in winter i wont move a drop...

See various catch can cruzes below
    2011 Holden Cruze SRIV – Elite Cruzes
    Let's see, driving style. The 15,622 mile run (which you can see an analysis of in the 1.4T subforum of Powertrain), had:
    - WOT runs for datalogging and testing various Trifecta tunes
    - Several hundred WOT runs for datalogging BNR tunes
    - Short trips and constant runs to redline

I've towed my 14 foot boat to the lake and back 2-3 days a week for all of summer and fall for the last 2 years. I occasionally tow a 5x8 uhaul trailer, have towed a 5x9 open trailer, and on some occasions towed a fully loaded trailer (estimate about 1500-2000 pounds) against a moderate headwind for an hour straight, sustaining 3-4psi of boost for minutes on end on perfectly flat road.

The engine hits redline every time I go out, and sustains levels of boost for extended periods.

Now, I'm not hitting the same boost levels you are, partly because I can make more power at lower boost levels with my BNR tune than I did with the Trifecta tune I had before it, but the point I'm making is that my vehicle operates in boost for substantially more of my driving than your average Cruze owner.

Now, you know how much oil I had to add during that 15,622 mile run? Absolutely none. I put 4.75 quarts in the engine when I filled it up to barely pass the full mark, and I did not add anything until I drained it, even when I replaced the filter at 7,500 miles. With a PROPERLY functioning Cruze, even under hard tuned driving conditions, the engine will not consume a measurable amount of oil. Maybe it's the oil I'm using and the fact that it remains stable and maintains its volatility and thermo-oxidation specifications throughout its service life; I couldn't tell you since nobody can afford to send oil out for those kinds of tests. I'm on my 3rd change with AMSOIL Signature Series. First was 15,622, second was 8,255 (dealer drained it when they replaced the oil pan gasket), and the current run has about 6,500 miles on it. I will repeat, I have never had to add oil to my engine.

Now, I will acknowledge that even I find oil droplets pooling in the throttle body, and I will maintain that there exists some amount of seepage at the turbo seals, but that the actual amount of oil being ingested by the engine is, for practical purposes, inconsequential.

Please don't take my response as accusatory or attacking; my technical responses are always blunt and the tone can sometimes be perceived as abrasive. Just assume you're listening to Spock. I present what I believe to be the facts. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Markj2222 View Post
    Which amsoil will have the lowest volatility, which would you recommend for my catch can test. (If it doesn't fill the can at all i'll buy you a beer)
    AMSOIL Signature Series 10W-30 has the lowest volatility, if you do not plan to operate at temperatures under 0F (-17c). Since you're in Canada, however, I would expect you to need a 5W-30, if not a 0W-30.

AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 has a NOACK volatility of 7.5%, and the 0W-30 comes in at 8.4%. Both are lower than Mobil 1's (assuming you aren't using EP, and are at 5W-30) 10.1%.

Conveniently, there's an AMSOIL distribution center in Edmonton, at 14328-121A Ave. Edmonton, AB T5L 2T2. Shoot me a PM, and for this specific occasion, I'll get you wholesale pricing on it. If you don't see a reduction in oil in your catch can, I owe you a beer.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 12-17-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    Markj2222 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    I assumed one was talking about a GOOD baffled catch can, not an ebay special from China.

I also assumed you would have remembered that the PCV system bypasses the catch can (and there is no possible way to change that) when the engine is operating under vacuum (90% of the time).

I know you have a Gen2, but there's a nice explanation and diagram in the Gen1 powertrain section in the 1.4T sub-forum explaining the PCV routing of this particular engine. A catch can is a waste of time and money in the Gen1 1.4L Turbo, and I'm not holding my breath that the design is substantially different in the Gen2 with respect to PCV routing under intake vacuum.

When is any engine in vacuum 90% of the time? Maybe if you have a very light foot but I think most Cruze 1.4t with automatic transmissions drivers are in boost at least 50% of the time. It doesn't take much to get into boost. The turbo spools quicker with an auto than a manual.
    Last edited by 5banger; 12-19-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by 5banger View Post
    When is any engine in vacuum 90% of the time? Maybe if you have a very light foot but I think most Cruze 1.4t with automatic transmissions drivers are in boost at least 50% of the time. It doesn't take much to get into boost. The turbo spools quicker with an auto than a manual.
    I've noticed Cruzing around 65-75mph it for sure gets near atmospheric on the light rolling bumps on our relatively flat road ways, if not 1-2 psi gauge pressure.
    5banger likes this.
    Hidden Content

HPTuned, 42lb, ZZP HFI, ZZP FMIC, ZZP DP/MP, ZZP Catback, ZZP Pillar (Glowshift Boost + Innovate WBO2), Kappadapt Mount

Administrator

Go datalog your Cruze with something and tell me how much time you spend above atmospheric pressure. Trust me, it's a lot less than you think. Cruising straight on the highway, you will be pulling a vacuum.

The only time the Cruze is producing boost is when going up a hill and when accelerating. However, you are pulling a vacuum when decelerating and going down a hill, so at best, you are using boost 50% of the time if your driving is 100% hilly and stop/go without maintaining speed at any point or ever stopping at a traffic light. I'd be willing to bet that you, and anyone else around here, spends more time maintaining speed or waiting for a light to change than they do accelerating and decelerating.

Exceptions include driving against a headwind or over standing water and snow.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    Go datalog your Cruze with something and tell me how much time you spend above atmospheric pressure. Trust me, it's a lot less than you think. Cruising straight on the highway, you will be pulling a vacuum.

The only time the Cruze is producing boost is when going up a hill and when accelerating. However, you are pulling a vacuum when decelerating and going down a hill, so at best, you are using boost 50% of the time if your driving is 100% hilly and stop/go without maintaining speed at any point or ever stopping at a traffic light. I'd be willing to bet that you, and anyone else around here, spends more time maintaining speed or waiting for a light to change than they do accelerating and decelerating.

Exceptions include driving against a headwind or over standing water and snow.
    I live in Missouri and I'd say about 50% of my driving is highway but it's hilly everywhere I drive. You can't just throw out a bogus stat just to better your chances of people believing you. Sooner or later you're going to lose credibility. I have datalogged my daily commute and I average just above atmospheric pressure in the intake manifold even driving like a grandma. This is with the cruise set at 60mph 80% of the way to work. It's only a 25-30 minute commute. Your statistics are in the idealist of conditions which is not real world for most.

BOOOOST!
    I live in Missouri and I'd say about 50% of my driving is highway but it's hilly everywhere I drive. You can't just throw out a bogus stat just to better your chances of people believing you. Sooner or later you're going to lose credibility. I have datalogged my daily commute and I average just above atmospheric pressure in the intake manifold even driving like a grandma. This is with the cruise set at 60mph 80% of the way to work. It's only a 25-30 minute commute. Your statistics are in the idealist of conditions which is not real world for most.

If I have been reading all of this correctly, unless you tend to accelerate down hill a lot, it is still 50/50 at best.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals)
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1988 Dodge Aries K SE 2dr (Hidden Content ) also in Hidden Content
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

Administrator

What part of my last post was not clear to you? Assuming you are doing nothing but accelerating and decelerating, you are operating, at best, a 50/50 boost/vacuum ratio. Under cruise conditions on straight roads, the vehicle pulls a vacuum. A 1.4L Turbo, Direct Injected or otherwise, does not rely on boost to maintain speed on a flat road. Furthermore, the sheer number of Cruze owners that drive their cars in traffic conditions, where you are waiting for a light to turn red or waiting for the next car to move, indicates that for the duration of their trip, they spend far more time under vacuum than they do under boost.

Let's see that datalog that shows you average above atmospheric pressure while maintaining speed on flat roads.

Administrator

For the record, the context of this thread should have indicated that the actual percentage is not what's important. We're going to butt heads quite frequently if you're going to argue semantics out of context every time a noted data point disagrees with your personal experience. Whether it's 90%, 85%, 80%, or even 75% doesn't matter. It is a given that variances in driving conditions would mean that nobody could ever provide a specific, accurate number that applies to all driving conditions. That being said, the point of my statement, in context, was to note that the engine spends significantly more time under vacuum than it does under boost, and that the absence of that vacuum may not be inconsequential.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.