Muffler delete: check!

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Muffler delete: check!

Alex V. is online now [OP]

Muffler delete: check!

Helping out at a friend's shop this week we pulled Scarlet in after work today and did my very first mod that involved more than just removing something: muffler delete - with duals! Took about 4 hours of experimenting, fitting, etc. for the T and second tailpipe, but the results are just what I was looking for. Moderate increase in volume (at idle the exhaust note is actually more noticeable than the injectors' little song now) but not to the point of altering occupants conversation volume even when under load, and no crackle or chambered tone but it's much more obvious what the engine sounds like. No turbo noise, but with two cats and the resonator still in the way I didn't expect any. It's 2" up to the T, then 2 1/4" (to match the factory tailpipe we kept) after that, all welded - the matching bumper cutout was my handiwork.

I'm really leaning toward some tasteful tips to give it that SS Malibu/Impala look. Anybody interested in taking their Cruze to South central MO for the same treatment, PM me and I'll give you my friend's info. FYI, for the benefit of the discussion last week about how much a muffler delete should cost, a non-dual-conversion delete is honestly as simple as cutting the muffler and two 6"? pieces of pipe off, fabbing a foot or so of nearly straight pipe to bridge the gap, modifying one hanger and adding another - we'd have been done in a half hour if not for the dual setup. Not sure if a jack, sawzall, and some generic pipe pieces and clamps are adequate in this instance, but not a $200 at any shop in my eyes.
    Last edited by Alex V.; 01-11-2017 at 01:33 AM.
    Merc6, DslGate and Sklyn like this.
    Alex V. - Campbellsville, KY - 2013 Cruze 1LT, 1.4L, 6-speed manual, RS package, 85K and counting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Another pic:
    AutumnCruzeRS, Merc6 and DslGate like this.
    Alex V. - Campbellsville, KY - 2013 Cruze 1LT, 1.4L, 6-speed manual, RS package, 85K and counting.

Super Moderator
    Looks like it worked out well, my question is if you were cutting the bumper why not do regular tips vs turn downs? Is turn downs to make it discreet and save on the price of 2 fancy tips?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD) Hidden Content
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (Traded) Hidden Content
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car) Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Some of all of the above. When we realized the existing tailpipe could be reused that partially dictated how we did the other one, and having not decided on a tip setup yet I opted to stay subtle with the cosmetic modifications at the moment. But it's cool to see two puffs of steam come out at startup, and the stuff is there if I want to go a more visible route with the tips in the future.
    Merc6 likes this.

Handbrake Released
    Upfront, I say what you did works, it's way cheaper, and I agree that it is probably less restrictive than the stock muffler. Just that way you T'd the pipe may become restrictive past some flow rate, a flow rate which you may never achieve so it may not matter at all in this application with the stock turbo, cats installed.

Under certain configurations in certain conditions, flow can be restricted at these abrupt and sharp transitions. We don't have flow simulations or anything to backup your design, but we know generally air likes to transition and turn smoothly; but again I am totally not hating on it, looks like good work that should last.

Hidden Content

HPTuned, 42lb, ZZP HFI, ZZP FMIC, ZZP DP/MP, ZZP Catback, ZZP Pillar (Glowshift Boost + Innovate WBO2), Kappadapt Mount

Agreed, that T isn't conducive to extremely high flow. The guy with the exhaust equipment has made some real nice flow deviders, I just didn't consider it beneficial enough to warrant the time. That piece pictured is real slick - once I zero in on the cosmetics I may eventually put something in place of the T, but with my current goals it's not high on the list.

It's really nice to be able to hear the engine now! After 450 miles I'd consider interior noise at the high end of what I wanted - not intrusive, but definitely present. There's a slight harmonic in the low 2,000 RPM range at max load, when accelerating or pulling up hills. My BIL took it for a spin so I could hear it and when he was into it hard I could hear it from 1/4 mile or more, and pulling WOT past where I was standing in 3rd and 4th it wasn't obnoxious but easily audible over the car's road noise. Also, I really don't think it's a placebo but I believe the turbo spool point at 1,800 RPM (where these cars are known to lurch forward in first) is substantially more gradual, which makes sense if the decreased back pressure allows the turbo to spool more freely. The stock tune is still going to plateau power where it always does, but it'd make sense that it's getting there easier without the muffler's restriction.
    Last edited by Alex V.; 01-12-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    Steelmesh likes this.

Driver's Ed
    WHY...??? Not trying to bash your mod or the work it looks great, but what is the purpose and/or reason for doing this...? I know where I live I would never pass the state inspection regulations with this type of modification to my car. I very curious about this. Thanks

MB2014LT2, why wouldn't it pass your state's inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2014LT2 View Post
    WHY...???
    Because it sounds better, looks better, and makes it unique and personalised to the owner =)

I love it! I think twin exhaust looks heaps better, more sporty, on almost any car. Got a pic of the whole rear end now?

Ditto Sklyn! I was giving him a chance to explain fully before my rebuttal, but that's the answer in a nutshell. Yes, duals take it from the aesthetics of a low optioned, frugaly engineered economy sedan to a little more a of sports car - a driver's car, which I think the heart of the Cruze's design could be very suited to. That's what it is to me. No, haven't taken any ground level pics yet, but that's about what it'd have to be to even notice it at the moment. Not knowing at the time the exact bezel//tip treatment I wanted to give it I opted to just duplicate the turn down on the factory tailpipe, knowing I can cut them both back a little at whatever point I add tips. There's a welded-on bracket on the end of the frame channel right inside the bumper on each side that keeps the pipe from going any higher, so whatever I do it won't eat too high into the bumper. Not that I'd want it to, really, as I like the RS trim strip and don't want to intrude into it.
    Sklyn likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.