Had some oil leaking from the left front of my car

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Had some oil leaking from the left front of my car

Blancmange is offline [OP]

Had some oil leaking from the left front of my car

Last week I saw some oil on the floor of my garage. It was under the left front corner of the car in front of the front wheel. Probably coming from the charge pipe connection to the intercooler. So, I took it to the dealer. At first they said there was some leakage from the valve cover. Ok, makes sense that it could be the PCV valve. They said they would replace the valve cover. Sounded like a good plan.

Then they didn't call me back when they promised. I finally got hold of them a day later and he says that called GM tech support and they think there's "too much pressure in the engine" (their words) and they want to replace the pistons and rings.

I assume they are concerned about the rings leaking and getting blow-by into the crank case. I'm a little nervous about this. I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the problem and haven't had any experience with this dealer before.

Any thoughts?
    2012 Cruze LT - 1.4T M32

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Since you haven't mentioned any prices, I'm assuming this is being done under the powertrain warranty. I don't think GM would authorize that unless they were pretty sure there was a problem.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Resident Tater Salad

It was not uncommon for the 2011-early 12, and sometimes later models, to crack a piston at the ringlands.

Ask for them to do a compression test and provide you with the results before you authorize them taking your engine apart. And ask how many the tech working on the car has actually done. Lots have had a piston or two lopped in that broke, and are still driving their cars today. A small handful had more unpleasant experiences.
    joshuab likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    It was not uncommon for the 2011-early 12, and sometimes later models, to crack a piston at the ringlands.

Ask for them to do a compression test and provide you with the results before you authorize them taking your engine apart. And ask how many the tech working on the car has actually done. Lots have had a piston or two lopped in that broke, and are still driving their cars today. A small handful had more unpleasant experiences.
    This is very true its not uncommon at all. You know OP my Cruze had oil coming down on the passenger area like you are mentioning they changed the throttle body they changed the PCV trying to fix the problem, they was unsuccessful in repairing the final diagnosis found broken ring lands on #2 & #4 pistons - so they rebuilt my engine & 1 week later - melted intake. Then complete engine replacement.

I am not saying this is your issue - but unfortunately you may be experiencing the same dreaded piston issue. - But be sure to update us all on your progress & your outcome w/ GM & good luck!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze
    Trim : 2LT
    Engine Size : 1.4L Turbo

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Hi Blancmange,

We’re very sorry to learn of this concern with your Cruze, and can understand your feelings of concern. Although we are not able to provide you any technical feedback, we’d be happy to stand as an additional layer of assistance. If interested, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Helen
    Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Blancmange View Post
    Last week I saw some oil on the floor of my garage. It was under the left front corner of the car in front of the front wheel. Probably coming from the charge pipe connection to the intercooler. So, I took it to the dealer. At first they said there was some leakage from the valve cover. Ok, makes sense that it could be the PCV valve. They said they would replace the valve cover. Sounded like a good plan.

Then they didn't call me back when they promised. I finally got hold of them a day later and he says that called GM tech support and they think there's "too much pressure in the engine" (their words) and they want to replace the pistons and rings.

I assume they are concerned about the rings leaking and getting blow-by into the crank case. I'm a little nervous about this. I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the problem and haven't had any experience with this dealer before.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Care View Post
    Hi Blancmange,

We’re very sorry to learn of this concern with your Cruze, and can understand your feelings of concern. Although we are not able to provide you any technical feedback, we’d be happy to stand as an additional layer of assistance. If interested, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Helen
    Chevrolet Customer Care
    Thanks for the concern.

They've had my car for almost 2 weeks now and are "still waiting on parts". I am not at all impressed with the level of communication I'm getting from this dealer. For every 3 calls I make I get one back.

We'll see what happens next week.
    2012 Cruze LT - 1.4T M32

I got my car back on Saturday, almost 3 weeks in the shop. But,they fixed everything!

They replaced:
    - 4 pistons and rings
    - Timing chain
    - Intake manifold
    - Valve cover
    - Charge pipes
    - Water pump (I didn't even mention this to them)

So far, so good. The only problem is the CEL is on - P0236. Could be from something they did. I need to connect my scanner and see if there's a boost problem. If so, I'll take it back. Or see if it clears itself.
    sparkman likes this.
    2012 Cruze LT - 1.4T M32

Oh, and all the above was under warranty,
    sparkman likes this.
    2012 Cruze LT - 1.4T M32

OP, if I may ask, what is the build date of your Cruze? (It's found on the drivers door sill sticker)
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by jblackburn Hidden Content
    I always find it funny that you can find sports fans all over the country that universally hate:
    -The Cowboys
    -The Patriots
    -Duke

Quote Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
    OP, if I may ask, what is the build date of your Cruze? (It's found on the drivers door sill sticker)
    7/26/2012
    2012 Cruze LT - 1.4T M32

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.