Unfortunate dyno experience

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Unfortunate dyno experience

evolizzee is offline [OP]

So I went to the local tuning shop that has a great reputation of fabricating and tuning 500-4000hp cars to get some dyno results after BNR tuning. YIKES! It was a pretty bad experience. First off, a "Service Stabili-Trac" alarm popped up before we got the Cruze up to rpms. We restarted the car and made two 4th gear pulls. The first pull, the car threw a P0300 code and had horrible results. After clearing the code, resetting the tune and putting several driving miles on the tune we strapped it back down and again, horrible numbers and a slight hesitation at 5600-5700rpms.

I checked the plugs, which have only 4000 miles on them, 4000 miles on the entire car in fact... The plugs looked great. No signs of lean or rich conditions and all 4 measured at 0.028". All the coil plug springs were good. Adequate amount of dielectric grease. So, I went ahead and checked the downpipe, as well as charge pipes and fittings. All looked good. So, I did a global reset and went for a 40 mile drive. Afterwards, I made few WOT pulls and sure enough, the hesitation is still there. The car pulls very smoothly and shifts great too...but if I try to take it above 5500rpms; a slight blip in power will always occur.

I've never noticed this before, because the few WOT pulls I've made, I would shift at 5200-5300rpms. BNR has such a great reputation of creating great tunes for this platform that I'm conflicted as to what the root cause may be. But 145whp/180wtq is way too low for BNR tune with a catless downpipe, at low altitude, with ambient temps in the low 70s. Plus, this dyno is not known for yielding inflated numbers, nor false numbers.

Hope someone can chime in with a possible direction to go that I have not already taken. I've emailed BNR datalogs with a log that had the hesitation, my situation, and low numbers, but until then I'm just going to continue to baby it around as usual.
    Last edited by evolizzee; 03-10-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    16' Cruze LT Limited (Daily): MPFab Intake/ZZP Downpipe/XR PCV/BNR Tuned (21psi)
    12' Camaro SS 45th Anniversary (Garage Queen): Borla Longtubes/Cincy Speed Tuned

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Is it the base tune or have to re logged to get the base adjusted?
    Merc6 likes this.

I've relogged and have had a more aggressive tune sent and loaded.
    16' Cruze LT Limited (Daily): MPFab Intake/ZZP Downpipe/XR PCV/BNR Tuned (21psi)
    12' Camaro SS 45th Anniversary (Garage Queen): Borla Longtubes/Cincy Speed Tuned

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

here are the dyno runs. The red line is the first run
    Attached Images Attached Images

BOOOOST!
    How long did you have the new tune installed before dynoing it?
    Merc6 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Hidden Content , Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Hidden Content , splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals)
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
    2007 Chevy Cobalt
    1988 Dodge Aries K SE 2dr (Hidden Content ) also in Hidden Content
    1971 AMC Javelin 3-spd
    1973 Gremlin X 3-spd

first run: 500miles on the tune
    second run: about 25miles

The log I sent BNR was after a troubleshooting attempt, resetting the tune, and putting about 40 miles on the car. It seems too consistent for me to consider blow out. Especially when the dip in power only occurs for a brief moment, consistently at the same rpms as the second dyno pull. I am picking up a set of colder plugs today BKR8EIXs. I will install them, put some miles on the tune, and see if it continues it. Normally, BNR won't respond to my emails until Sunday night, so I have another day to troubleshoot before I hear what their professional opinion is.
    Last edited by evolizzee; 03-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    Blasirl likes this.

BOOOOST!
    It happens right at the spot you'd normally see power drop because of the intake manifold tumblers. Interesting.
    2017 Cruze Hatch LT w/RS manual | Cajun Red Tintcoat
    Metro Detroit

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I work at a Chevrolet dealer; let me know if I can help!

248-882-0883 | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by EricSmit View Post
    It happens right at the spot you'd normally see power drop because of the intake manifold tumblers. Interesting.
    The plot thickens lol.
    Blasirl likes this.

BOOOOST!

Quote Originally Posted by evolizzee View Post
    the plot thickens lol.
    dun dun dun.
    Blasirl and evolizzee like this.
    2017 Cruze Hatch LT w/RS manual | Cajun Red Tintcoat
    Metro Detroit

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I work at a Chevrolet dealer; let me know if I can help!

248-882-0883 | Hidden Content

BNR is moving to a new shop this week and weekend- So may take a bit longer for a response. I had the same dip at the same rpm. It went away after I played with different plug gaps... i'm now at .022 with ac Delco, my car didn't like the same gap on NGK's 7's. But then I'm GTXed and running the coil pack upgrade. What boost psi are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by evolizzee View Post
    first run: 500miles on the tune
    second run: about 25miles

The log I sent BNR was after a troubleshooting attempt, resetting the tune, and putting about 40 miles on the car. It seems too consistent for me to consider blow out. Especially when the dip in power only occurs for a brief moment, consistently at the same rpms as the second dyno pull. I am picking up a set of colder plugs today BKR8EIXs. I will install them, put some miles on the tune, and see if it continues it. Normally, BNR won't respond to my emails until Sunday night, so I have another day to troubleshoot before I hear what their professional opinion is.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.