Muffler delete yielded 2-3mpg average gain. For real.

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Muffler delete yielded 2-3mpg average gain. For real.

SPARTANZ06 is online now [OP]

Muffler delete yielded 2-3mpg average gain. For real.

No kidding. I have driven the car several thousand miles since I did my custom muffler delete and have averaged a 2-3mpg gain in fuel economy. Maybe this is a rarity, or some voodoo magic, but it happened. I guess my stock exhaust was just that restrictive, but I am sharing because $30ish dollars for a muffler delete and the gain yielded was well worth the money to me. I can take pics and add how/what I used from AutoZone to accomplish the muffler delete, which required no welding if anyone is interested. My only other performance engine mod is a Spectre CAI, which has been on the car almost since I first bought it nearly a year ago. There is not a tune in the car, yet.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco , 1.4L Turbo, Automatic transmission. Mods: Spectre cold air intake. Muffler delete. Stopping oil leaks.

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. 824HP Procharger D1SC, fully forged 427, fully built. Built by me. LINEITUPRACING on FaceBook. ANGRY6LITER on YouTube for videos.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71 4x4 TurboDiesel. AFE CAI, EFI Live TUNED, CAT/DPF/muffler delete, PCV reroute. 3 inch lift, MotoMetal 20x12 wheels, 33x12.50 mud tires. Built by me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    I'm interested. Does the car sound much louder after the delete? I don't want to annoy the neighbours. Your MPG boost is making me consider it. Your resonator is untouched?
    2012 Eco MT - "Bubba's Boganmobile"

I didn't want it to sound "ricer" either, and it does not. I YouTube'd "Cruze Eco muffler delete" and found some clips which is why I got the SawZall out. It has a nice little "bass" to the exhaust now (of course more pronounced on cold startup) but it is not loud or annoying to me. I will have to take some pics for you, as I did not when I did the install. I should also have the receipts from AutoZone for part numbers to make that part easy. My cats, resonator and mid pipe is all Stock OEM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco , 1.4L Turbo, Automatic transmission. Mods: Spectre cold air intake. Muffler delete. Stopping oil leaks.

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. 824HP Procharger D1SC, fully forged 427, fully built. Built by me. LINEITUPRACING on FaceBook. ANGRY6LITER on YouTube for videos.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71 4x4 TurboDiesel. AFE CAI, EFI Live TUNED, CAT/DPF/muffler delete, PCV reroute. 3 inch lift, MotoMetal 20x12 wheels, 33x12.50 mud tires. Built by me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I wanna know how to do a muffler delete without welding and of course the MPG is a factor for me too. What did you use and how did you do it for $30 and no welding?

Driver's Ed
    Interested, Should make a little "How-To" if you've got the time

Starting to make a “How To” here now. Let’s start by letting all the negativecommenters know that they can go run their mouth somewhere else. If you want to see bad a**, no corners cut,no dime spared, go check out my 824hp C6Z06 Corvette I built. The whole purpose of the Cruze for me is tobe built/modded “on the cheap” with things that can be done easily in thegarage at home. It just so happenssometimes things I find out may help or interest others who are likeminded. That being said, let me getposting pics and diagrams.

Chris2298 and dtuerk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTANZ06 View Post
    Starting to make a “How To” here now. Let’s start by letting all the negativecommenters know that they can go run their mouth somewhere else. If you want to see bad a**, no corners cut,no dime spared, go check out my 824hp C6Z06 Corvette I built. The whole purpose of the Cruze for me is tobe built/modded “on the cheap” with things that can be done easily in thegarage at home. It just so happenssometimes things I find out may help or interest others who are likeminded. That being said, let me getposting pics and diagrams.
    do you need a safe space?
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 102,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 340,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 290,000 km

Cut the muffler at these locations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SPARTANZ06; 04-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Here is a sketch of the parts install, with part numbers, all bought from AutoZone. In America. Not Canada, eh?

Exhaust flow in this pic is from left to right.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.