Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Tap into headlights for LED's

11K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  jt_trouble 
#1 ·
Is is safe to tap into the wire for the low beams to power two LED strip lights? I would like to install LED on the filler panels were the fog lights would be, and I would like to just power them with the headlights.

#5 ·
Could set a code if high power leds are used, also a risk of BCM getting shorted out, seen a guy on utube that changed to hid headlights and they toasted up his BCM,
that being said, I did hook up some led daytime running leds with turn signals, I'm quite happy with them, they replace the blank plug where the fog lights would go and they also have another version that adds the DRL leds and keeps the fog lights if you have them, check ebay they are all over there, using the led strip lights, even if the waterproof ones, will not work properly wired directly off the low beam headlights since they are also pulse width modulated to dim them when in DRL mode, the ones on ebay only use the signal from the low beam lights to turn on a controller module they come with, this way there is no additional load imposed on the expensive BCM module, avoiding any risk of shorting it out, leds can and do short out so if you do directly connect led strips they need to be run from a constant current source controller to regulate and stabilize both the light output and operating parameters--if exceeded they will run away current wise, safest way to use those strips would be to use one of the controller modules (also available separately on ebay) and property fuse it, I'd just go with the ones already made to fit the cruze instead---

#6 ·
#7 ·
The question I have is will my 2012 need the BCM reprogrammed to support the fog lights? If so I am not sure I want to go down that path.
Reading the question section, it seems to be hit or miss. You might want to ask the dealer how much they'd charge to do it. You might get lucky and not need it.

#8 ·
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but has anyone ever used one of these [?]Amazon.com: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit: Automotive

I installed LED fog lights from ebay on my cruze (there was no fog lights initially), and I just spliced into the side marker lamp on the driver side to power it. Only problem is that I've notice that they will go off frequently and not turn back on until the car is turned off and on again. When that happens the side marker lamp also goes off, as well as the parking lights on the headlights.

I was wondering if I could just use one of these to draw current from the fuse box (probably the fog light slot, or an unused slot) to power them. I saw pictures from a post [http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/145-...uze-fog-light-install-warning-lots-pics.html] on how they installed their fogs and he connected it to the fog light slot in the fuse box from underneath, but I don't know how he accessed the bottom to stick the wires in.

#9 ·
I installed LED fog lights from ebay on my cruze (there was no fog lights initially), and I just spliced into the side marker lamp on the driver side to power it. Only problem is that I've notice that they will go off frequently and not turn back on until the car is turned off and on again. When that happens the side marker lamp also goes off, as well as the parking lights on the headlights.
Have you tried manually turning the headlights on? Because that sounds like "DRL"mode to me. In DRL mode, the headlights are on, but no other external light is on. No parking, no sides, no tail lights.

#11 ·
Ah. Odds are you're pulling too much current and the BCM is going into self-protect mode.

Since you're so close to it's limit, you might get away with changing the sidelight with a LED.

#13 ·
Personally, unless the DRLs came with only one controller box, I think I'd wire the passenger side DRL to the passenger side light. Split the added load in half.

But adding a relay to do it isn't overly hard. I'd imagine there's a few guides on the internet on how to do it.

#15 ·
So, after talking to my local dealer I have been informed that my BCM will need reprogrammed to use the fog lights and they want $100 to do it, or $200 to do the whole install but I would have to buy the fog light kit from them. So that is a no go on the EOM fog lights.

I am now back to just to LED strip lights, I found some two color led strips (amber and white). Does anyone know if the side marker lights would be safe to tie into?

#16 ·
I am now back to just to LED strip lights, I found some two color led strips (amber and white). Does anyone know if the side marker lights would be safe to tie into?
I'd think so. But if you want more headroom, change out the sidelight with a LED. That would reduce the load the BCM sees. And if the controller allows, try to spread the load so that you're not pulling for both lights just from one side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.