Playing music with USB flash drive

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing music with USB flash drive

Driver's Ed

Playing music with USB flash drive

I am starting this post as a way of gathering all available information with regard to playing music with a USB flash drive through the armrest USB interface. The owner's manual has enough information to get started, but lacks some crucial details. I will edit this post as more information is gathered.

USB requirements

Music files

• As stated in the manual, MP3 and WMA files are recognized.
    • MP3 bitrates
      • Maximum constant bitrate: 320kb/s
      • Supports variable bitrates

• WMA
      • ???

• ID3 tags
      • Music is sorted according to the ID3 tags. If the files do not have tags, the songs are sorted according to the filenames and can not be searched by artist and album, for example.
      • v2.3 and v2.4 are supported. v1.x tags are not recognized.
      • If you need to add ID3 tags or change old v1.x ID3 tags to the newer v2.x ID3 tags, try one of the following programs:

Last edited by nosro; 07-25-2011 at 01:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Here's what I did...
    Skipped the owners manual, did a straight copy of my music folder on my PC to a thumb drive, plugged it into the car and it worked.

Driver's Ed
    I did the same thing and it works perfectly.

Me Three.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

Driver's Ed
    Straight copy should work for most people. For some reason, I kept running into problems (ID3 v1 tags, FAT16 formatting), so I'm documenting here for posterity.

LJG
    I just ripped my CD's with Audiograbber, shoved them into My Music and straight onto a flash drive. Works fine. If an old geezer like me can do it I am sure you young blokes can! I have also done it thorugh iTunes as well.
    2011 Australian built Holden Series II Cruze CDX 163hp Turbo Diesel

Learning about my Cruze
    Any size limit on the flash drive?

We use a SanDisk Cruzer 32GB with well over 4k in songs and such..No problems to report after 2 months

Learning about my Cruze
    Bought a 16 gig Sandisk Cruser USB flashdrive. Copied my iPod back to the library in Windows Media Player. Ripped my CD's also to the library and then synched 14 gigs of music to the Cruser from the Media Player and it works like a charm in the Cruze. Took about 10 minutes to finish indexing the USB drive to the Infotainment system the first time but after that it is ready to do searching, etc. within about 2 minutes after starting the car. I leave the drive plugged in at all times. The iPod wouldn't work properly with the system but then again it doesn't work properly with any other of the docking systems that I plug it into so this is the answer to using it's collection without any hiccups.
    Last edited by dennisu; 07-26-2011 at 03:40 AM.

2nd Gear
    I made the initial comment about it working right away without referencing the owners guide.

To be more helpful, I am using the SanDisk Cruzer as well. I can't remember how large it is, but it seems most people have success with "plug and play" using the SanDisk Cruzer.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.