I am starting this post as a way of gathering all available information with regard to playing music with a USB flash drive through the armrest USB interface. The owner's manual has enough information to get started, but lacks some crucial details. I will edit this post as more information is gathered.
- Maximum Capacity: > 32GB (Windows XP and newer can only format to 32GB, but the theoretical maximum is over 8TB)
- File format: the drive must be formatted in FAT32. (FAT16 and NTFS are not recognized.) Most USB flash drives come already formatted this way and there is nothing more to do to prepare the drive. If you have a small number of files and the system appears to be spending more than 30 seconds searching the USB drive, the flash drive may not be formatted to FAT32. Try using this utility: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads
- Any USB flash drive will work. However, there are some drives that are particularly small. Here are a few examples:
- PNY Micro Sleek Attache: Newegg.com - PNY Micro Sleek Attaché 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Purple) Model P-FDU4GBSLK/PRP-EF
- PNY Micro Slide Attache: Newegg.com - PNY Micro Slide Attaché 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Green) Model P-FDU8GBSL-EF/GRN
- ADATA MicroSDHC with USB adapter: Newegg.com - ADATA 8GB Class 4 Micro SDHC Flash Card with V3 USB Reader (Black/Blue) Model AUSDH8GCL4-RM3BKBL
- Verbatim Store n Stay: Newegg.com - Verbatim Store 'n' Stay 8GB Netbook USB Drive Model 97463
- Ebay MicroSDHC-to-USB adapter (and your own MicroSD or MicroSDHC card): http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=micro+sdhc+usb&_dmpt=PC C_Drives_Storage_Internal&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m301
- As stated in the manual, MP3 and WMA files are recognized.
- MP3 bitrates
- Maximum constant bitrate: 320kb/s
- Supports variable bitrates
- ID3 tags
- Music is sorted according to the ID3 tags. If the files do not have tags, the songs are sorted according to the filenames and can not be searched by artist and album, for example.
- v2.3 and v2.4 are supported. v1.x tags are not recognized.
- If you need to add ID3 tags or change old v1.x ID3 tags to the newer v2.x ID3 tags, try one of the following programs: