Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Backup camera installed.

71K views 61 replies 32 participants last post by  coasterdiehard 
#1 ·
Since I havnt seen any of you fiddling with backup cameras yet, i decided to try it myself, I work as a electrician in the daily life, and I thought why not.

I bought Car Rear View CAMERA CHEVROLET Epica/Lova/Aveo/Captiva/Cruze/Matis/HHR/Lacetti | eBay

And some 1x 0.75 copper wire.

Some cable thieves (Atleast thats why they're called in denmark, something you can clip onto the existing wireing, and then get a connection to another wire).

and some basic tools.

My standard cruze comes with a 7" navigation-multifunction system, which can play DVDs, navigate, bluetooth, connect ipod, play games excetera excetera.

I wont go into much details about the wireing, but if any of you feel i should, i will go disassemble my car, and be more specific about it. (since its a few months ago since i did it, i can't really remember :))

Anyhow. this is how the picture looks. on my navi screen.
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/6440/img1389fp.jpg
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7416/img1388j.jpg

So far I havnt had any issues with it, except for when it's heavy rain, you could be unlucky the lens will be hit by a raindrop, which makes it pretty hard to see.

However everything is still highly visible at night.

If any questions, feel free to pm me or write in this thread, and I'll be answering as soon as possible.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Not bad quality for the price.

Couple questions;

1. Manual or Auto?
2. Does it switch to rear view when you put in reverse?
3. If yes, how did you manage that?
If no, how do you switch to rear view?

Also, I thought the stereos that came with connectivity (blue tooth, USB) had a different deck with more buttons around the play button.

#3 ·
1. Manual.
2. It does indeed switch to rear view when i put it in reverse -and it does it very quick, and without lag, or interferance with mobilephones or such.
3. It uses a pulse from the camera, the wire which came with the camera had a red wire connected to it also, which was hooked to the camera, so when the camera is turned on, there's 12 volts to the screen ,so it knows when it's on. I did that by connecting the camera to reverse back light.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't have anymore buttons than that, except for the steering wheel :)

#6 · (Edited)
Don't have either. Was wanting to get back up camera but didn't think it was going to be a simple diy being that it didn't come from factory. For some reason I thought the sensor for switching display would be be either at the computer level or shifter.

#8 ·
Could you take a picture of the camera installed (and if possible) the wirring? I guess it is installed in one of the license plate lights?
By the way i'm also from denmark and i have a 2010 1.8LT cruze but i think mine comes with an older navigation/music system it think the
model name is "CD500" what model is yours? And do you think it would work with my system?

#10 ·
I can take a picture, but I'd rather wait till you've decided if you're gonna buy it or not, it takes quite some time to disassemble and assemble everything :)

If you have 7" nav, i'm sure it works. You can test by removing your fans to the left and right of the nav screen (the ones surrounded by lightgray finish), and then you could probably get your hands in, and see what inputs and outputs you have.

#14 ·
@ mbond

If your 7" nav has CCD inputs, thats where you connect the video out from the cam.
the other cam wire, red wire as mentioned by the OP, is connected/tapped to the "+" of the reverse light wires.
thus, when your reverse lights come on, your cam also comes on. :)

HTH

======

@ Snazzy

what brand and model is your 7" Nav?
It seems to be a RoadRover unit? am I correct?

cheers!
phantom

#19 ·
@steamguy14

the wire runs thru the left molding in the floorboard (not sure what its called)

thats also where the speaker wires for the rear runs thru.

If you remove the cover for the front hood release, you"ll see a harness with a bunch of cables, follow the wires goin to the back and you'll figure how to wire your reverse cam.

HTH
phantom

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#20 ·
Ok so I tapped the camera into the reverse lights and I fed the wire through the left molding in the car. now my question is how far do I have to feed it to reach the connector to the monitor. I just want to ask before I tear apart my car and find out that there was a different/ easier way.

Thank you!

#23 ·
Hey everyone this is my first post and actually the first time I've posted on a forum of any kind, so I apologize now for all of the etiquette based mistakes I assure you I'll make in the future. I just finished pulling apart the dash of my 2012 Cruze 2LT RS with the OEM nav system, and there are no available inputs on the back of the screen or the head unit. Thank goodness the camera was only $20 or I'd be feeling pretty sheepish having ordered the camera first and checking for inputs second...

#25 ·
#27 · (Edited)
I took my dash apart too and have the wiring schematics from the dealer. There are NO inputs on the back of the stock nav system for a reverse camera or any other type of AV accessories. As such, I have now mounted a small 4.5" display to the dash to the left of the wheel above the AC vent. It's connected to a reverse camera kit I installed in the right license plate light. It looks nice and works great! I tapped it's power into the reverse lights, so it turns on when I put the car in reverse. The screen had a second (primary) input that is automatically used when it cannot sense a signal from the reverse camera. So, I bought a second camera for the front of the car (mounted in the lower grille) and use it to help me judge distance and squeeze into tight parking spots. It works great too and has an awesome picture, but I am debating moving it to someplace on the front-right of the car angling back to help with my blind-spot.

My only question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount my screen to the dash without drilling a hole or other destructive methods? I've tried a strong 3M 2-sided adhesive pad and it does not want to stick to the vinyl/leather (the plush material) of the dash.

Reactions: Lostiguy
#28 ·
Snazzy,

I have 2012 Cruze with factory installed 7" display. I would like to install a rear camera but could not find any installation guide for this navigation system. I found how to install the rear camera(here no problem). But no wiring diagram or installation guide at the back of navigation. Do you have a picture or wiring diagram? What input has to be used to connect video?
Your or other form members advice would very helpful!

#29 ·
It can't be done on a 2012 Cruze with factory nav system (US models at least). I went through that process last January/February. The dealer gave me the wiring diagrams for the nav system and head unit. They didn't indicate any auxillary inputs of any kind, but I took apart the dash to be sure -- there's no place to plug a camera into the factory nav system. So, I added a second screen above the driver's left air vent. I'll eventually mount it by the mirror.

#30 ·
Thanks for quick response!
Yes, I have a 2012 US Model and that is strange that no option to connect video as you described. Maybe the required video wire is covered somethere? I will keep looking for ways to connect to the factory screen. I will let you know if I will find anything new.

#35 ·
From the looks - His navigation appears to be aftermarket. Notice his control faceplate is similar to our non nav units (circular portion has less buttons) and built into his screen is a SD card slot for the navigation - both typical of an aftermarket install. (Or maybe aftermarket and installed by dealer) Fo some reason non of these after market options have proven to work 100% correctly on our NA Cruzes without loosing screen real estate or features (like USB port, steering wheel buttons, speakers, etc.)
Only UNAVI has proven 100% work as navigation aftermarket install for NA Cruzes but it also costs around 1K. Maybe we could try for a group buy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.