Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

7" Android Tablet In Dash

106K views 169 replies 51 participants last post by  Mick 
#1 ·
Well after a bit of research about after market double din head units and Car-PC type replacement systems I finally decided to opt for an Android Tablet for use as an add on and not a replacement for my stereo. I still have full functional use of my stereo/XM/setting controls/ETC but when I switch to AUX the fun begins. I have it set to power up when the car is turned on or to AUX power (currently through a usb cig adapter but will be hardwired soon) and by using anyscreentime (app) it prevents the unit from sleeping, although it dims when not in use, and when I turn off the power it sleeps within a minute. Currently have to pause the music before it sleeps or it will run while the car is off, but looking into app killers to pause or stop the music app when it sleeps. I have full GPS routing which mutes the music to tell me when/where to turn. With a bluetooth OSB adapter you can use an app to monitor your tach/speed/etc as well as check your codes. Still getting a few more tweaks but I'm happy with the outcome so far.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Center console
Electronics Multimedia Technology Display device Electronic device
Electronics Technology Electronic device Multimedia Display device

See less See more
#2 ·
How are you playing music off your Android?

#3 ·
I'm using ProPlayer app. since it works well with iSyncr to allow me to track rating changes, playlists, etc all while syncing with iTunes (previously an iPhone user until recently) and I have the music loaded on a 32GB micro sd. 3.5mm to 3.5mm ran to the AUX port in the console.

#6 ·
I would strongly recommend changing to the Bluetooth PDIM and using the A2DP interface on your tablet. The sound quality is that much better.

#4 ·
You did my vision of what I wanted to do!

Where did you get the dash kit for the infotainment system?

How did you mount the tablet?

Which tablet is that?

Lots of questions I know but I have been itching to do this for a while!

#5 ·
Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (smallest one I could find and it's a close fit.

Screen protector on the tablet first then doublesided (permanent) tape. Will require slowly cutting tape then removing screen protector to remove the tablet.

JY Custom CCRUZ-74 2 Piece Navi & Digital Display Housing

Above link is the place I found the display relocation kit and the bezel for the screen... had to make a couple small modifications to it (removing two tabs, trimming one tab, and had to cut a small rectangle in dash to plug in the sync cable (since you have to be able to sync without removing the tablet)

#17 ·
This is an ingenious idea nice job I been thinking of something similar but this seems like it will be worth far more when it comes saving money

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#19 ·
best Idea yet / samsung oushines again found a shinie new dime on the ground

#20 ·
Awesome install, Looks great! Does the housing come with installation instruction?I would like to do this mostly for GPS and music video integration and was just wondering if your tablet is connected using a wireless(3g/4g) connection or if your GPS app has phsyical maps on it.I have a Nexus 7 and am seriously debating doing this install

#21 ·
I ran across a free navigation system in the Google Play market that allows you to download maps ahead of time. It does all the routing computations and works using only the device's GPS. Not as smooth of an interface as Google Navigator for Android, but it doesn't require a cell connection to operate either.

#23 ·
Navfree USA: Free Satnav

#24 ·
The bezel package comes with a very basic installation paper lol search for aftermarket radio installation and it will show you all the trim pieces and screws required to install.

I'm currently using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable ran to the AUX port in the console for sound and the original usb sync cable from the tablet connected to a USB extension cable to a USB cigarette charger for power. I'd like to hard wire a USB into the missing one in the console in the future though. I used the original cable to allow for syncing by connecting to my laptop for large transfers (movies or lots of music) but I can get a wifi signal from my driveway... or from hot spots.

This is a permanent installation at this point but I'm looking into a way to make it removable. Since it is permanent... if your device turns off you have no access to the power button. Mine died due to not driving enough to keep it charged (2 miles to work lol). So while messing with it I noticed if I pulled the top left area of the bezel toward me and pushed up... it hit the power button... this allows me to turn it off and on now. I'm looking into an option to hinge the bezel and allow for a holder inside the dash and then the bezel could be moved to access the tablet.

I use the NAV free USA and it works great. Bonus is that even when you aren't listening to the tablet (XM/Radio/CD) that the device outputs the turn directions through the speakers of the tablet and you can still hear it. Routing directions aren't always the most logical but they are the shortest (so it might make you turn down weird roads in town instead of the easiest way) but it reroutes very quickly. The address search has yet to put the marker where I'm going, but you can tap a spot on the map and it pins it and you click ROUTE HERE and you are off. Just get the map near where you go and you can always move the screen some and use that method.

#25 ·
#26 ·
The opening of the 7" bezel isn't a double din... there's only a little space behind it. If you buy the aftermarket stereo bezel kit then you can install a double din, but not through this method.

Update on the removable option... It's not an option. Not that I can see through this method that is. Also there is a small grommet at the bottom of the console compartment that I was able to use to allow access to run the audio cable inside.

And last but definitely not least... by using an app TASKER... I am not able to have the tablet automatically adjust the brightness according to time of day and screen time out by wether the power is on or not and most importantly... it automatically pauses the music when I lose power (ie. turn off the car and open the door). These are only a few of the possibilities that you can use this app for. Unfortunately it is a paid app but there is a trial (free for 7 days) that you can use to determine if you want to purchase.

#73 ·
Could be so kind as to give instructions on how to change the power settings to work like this install would need them to be? I bought the app and I am SO lost on how to make anything work!!!

#28 ·
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

It was the smallest one that still allowed for a micro sd card and GPS at the time. I have found some online that would probably work too and save a bit of money but it's a bit late for that now since I already have this one. I suggest a black one since the 7" opening isn't the exactly 7" of the screen and if you have the white like I do, you will have a sliver of white at the top and bottom of the screen (had black tape edging the white out previously but removed it while trying to make the tablet removable)... I need to redo that when I get my new cables in I ordered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.