Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Another HID thread.

Tags
hid
3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Sk8ermarc 
#1 ·
Okay guys, I know this is another thread on HIDs, but hear me out. I have read I don't know how many posts about this and can't find a clear answer. This is for those who have done it already.

What HID kit do you have? Do you like it? How much was it? Where did you get it? Is it plug and play? How does it work with the DRLs? Did you have to buy/do anything extra?

I really want HIDs on this car, but keep seeing the horror stories of rewiring, flickering, and all around non-success. I want to try to get a plug n play kit. If it doesn't turn on DRLs, that's fine by me. I just don't want a kit that flickers or messes with the DRLs because of the low voltage we have on DRLs in these cars. I am looking for a 4600-5000k set with digital ballasts. A good company that won't be gone tomorrow would be nice too. Please Help! Thanks.
And before you post it, I know :signs042:

#2 ·
Standard disclaimer: HIDs are unsafe and illegal per NHTSA and are not DOT approved for use in your factory halogen housings. They will exceed the legal limit for glare by several times and can land you a $250 fine. That's not rhetorically speaking; people on this very board have been find for it.

Ask yourself why you want HIDs. Is it because you want improved lighting output? If so, you can achieve that with great success by adjusting the aim of your headlights, installing an upgraded wiring harness, and running a higher output halogen bulb such as a Philips X-Treme or a Sylvania XtraVision bulb. Those combined will increase your lighting output to impressive levels safely and legally.

If you insist on HID retrofit kits, I would very highly encourage that you install HID projectors to safely utilize the 2.8x increased output out of the HID bulb. A few companies sell an entire headlight assembly, but you can also retrofit them yourself by going to The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications.

#6 ·
Standard disclaimer: HIDs are unsafe and illegal per NHTSA and are not DOT approved for use in your factory halogen housings. They will exceed the legal limit for glare by several times and can land you a $250 fine. That's not rhetorically speaking; people on this very board have been find for it.

Ask yourself why you want HIDs. Is it because you want improved lighting output? If so, you can achieve that with great success by adjusting the aim of your headlights, installing an upgraded wiring harness, and running a higher output halogen bulb such as a Philips X-Treme or a Sylvania XtraVision bulb. Those combined will increase your lighting output to impressive levels safely and legally.

If you insist on HID retrofit kits, I would very highly encourage that you install HID projectors to safely utilize the 2.8x increased output out of the HID bulb. A few companies sell an entire headlight assembly, but you can also retrofit them yourself by going to The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications.
I have had HIDs on all my vehicles, adn have never had a problem with "the Law"..lol I like the look, color, brightness, and everything else about HIDs. I usually re-aim the lights lower as to not Blind everyone on the road, as some cars that I have seen and been blinded by.

What does changing the wiring harness out do exactly? I don't want to run a higher wattage bulb, because I don't want to melt the plastic headlight lenses (seen and had this happen on some fogs before). I am looking for brighter, whiter, HID look if anything.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi!
I bought this kit 35W DIGITAL HID KITS - Retro-Solutions Store from Retro-Solutions. Really nice! I love it! Just choose correctly the options at the bottom of the page and you are ready to go. Fast shipping. Really easy to install, they give you a wiring harness made for our car so you keep the DRLs too. No flickering or anything. Make sure you choose "H13/9008 bixenon low/high beam" bulb fitment and Chevy Cruze as the vehicle application.

I only had one problem when I installed them. The high and low beam were reversed. I only had to switch the wires on the plug that connects to the original light plug and everything is ok now.

For our car, they are priced at $158.99 but it totally worth it because you get really good quality. I suggest to get the regular ballast type and not the slim ones (less problems).

EDIT: Be sure to adjust the headlights a little down.

#4 ·
I saw your post about Retro-solutions on here somewhere. I googled them and some other forums bad mouthed them, to the point where Retro was going to sue them for libel. I am skeptical about going with them now based on that, as well as their pricing seems high. Have you had any problems besides the wiring? Did you ask them if they would send you the correct harness instead of you re-wiring first. I just don't want to have to cut up the factory harness, for whenever I sell the car, that way I can reverse everything and have still look like nothing was ever done to it. Thanks for the response though. i am still trying to figure this all out.

#7 ·
I like that idea too. I like the whole kit from retro, but just don't want to hack the factory wiring to make it work. That's why I want and actual "plug and play" kit from somewhere, but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.