Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Battery Upgrade Options

188K views 121 replies 52 participants last post by  controlsgirl 
#1 · (Edited)
I had this discussion with bartonmd on the FB group earlier today and he provided a few options for battery replacement upgrades over what we have from GM. As you guys may know, the 1.8/1.4T battery tray is adjustable and has plenty of room left for a bigger battery.

Here are the specs for the OEM H5/47 group size, from an AutoCraft Gold battery:

H5/47:
520 Cold cranking amps
7.5" Height
9.57" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45 lbs
Price: $161.99

The following two group sizes fit in our battery trays. Here are the specs I found for the Advance Auto AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery. I strongly recommend any AGM battery. I've posted the differences over the OEM battery (assuming the AutoCraft Gold is equivalent or similar) in bolded green. The CCA specs and prices will vary slightly but not by a whole lot.

H6/48:
760 Cold cranking amps (+240 CCA = +46%)
7.5" Height
11" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 45.66lbs (+0.66lbs = +1.5%)
Price: $174.99 (+$13 = +8%)

H7/94R:
850 CCA (+330 CCA = +63%)
7.5" Height
12.44" Length
6.938" Width
Weight: 51.83lbs (+6.83lbs = +15%)
Price: $187.99 (+$26 = +16%)

Here is what the OEM H5 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here is what the H6/48 battery looks like in the battery tray:

Here's a picture of the H7/94R battery in the Cruze:

Remember, if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, there is almost always a 30% coupon available that will knock $50 off the price of a battery. Order online to pick up in store.

See less See more
#56 ·
Snowvette-

I think you're one of the first that installed the biggest batteries. Did you have to remove the Circuit block that's attached to the positive cable?

I would assume the H7 would be pretty long, and you might not be able to "angle it under" the circuit block.

My 2012 is 4 years old this month, and still has the factory battery. So far so good, but if remove the battery again it will be for replacement. I removed it and had it tested last year thinking I had problems.

#63 ·
Quick battery question for everyone. In January 2016 my OEM battery took a dump. I was in a pinch (couldn't do much research) and picked up a Bosch Platinum Series AGM H7/94R (spec wise a much better battery than OEM) from Pep Boys. The battery got me through the rest of the winter and was a champ all summer long. Just recently (start of November) I've noticed that in the mornings when I start my car (it sits outside overnight for about 14 hours), it cranks a lot harder and takes longer to turn over. This got me nervous, as its only been in the low 30Fs and IL winters get far colder than that. I took it to the dealer to have them do some testing on the battery, alternator, etc. Everything came back aces and I was told that the most likely cause was short tripping. I drive to and from work 5 days a week, 20 miles round trip (70% stop and go city, 30% "city hwy" - 40-50mph) and usually get a good hwy drive in once a week. In my mind, that's not really short tripping. What do you guys think? Am I really short tripping? Time for a new battery already? How long does it take to top off the battery charge from the alternator when driving? Any other causes? This was never an issue with the OEM battery. That was great until the morning it just died with no warning.

#64 ·
I don't think so at all. I used to use my car ~1 time a week to run errands (5-10 miles at most, many starts) and it would sit around undriven the rest of the time. Never had an issue with the AGM battery - always cranked right up and held itself above 12V.

What's the current voltage when the car is off? You could also have the battery load-tested at an auto parts store to see if it's providing the correct cranking amperage.

Battery cables are a common issue on these cars - don't know about the diesels, but I think even 2014's were affected by that.

#66 ·
I've also recently noticed my battery will be at around 11.6V before starting, and sits between 14.5V and 15.3V when the car is running. I'm concerned that since the alternator is always charging now, I'll wear it out. I have not observed any behavior problems yet (IE: Car alarm going off randomly, car not starting, CELs, etc)

Would it be wise to change the battery early, to try and save the alternator from premature wear? Or would it just be a waste of money? My car was built 1/2014 and it sat on a lot until I bought it 3/2015. Since then I've put on 34K miles, 20K of which was delivering pizza which requires an excessive amount of starting. I've also got a power thirsty 1600 watt amp that drew straight from the factory battery for 7 months before I installed a second battery and an 80 amp isolator relay in the trunk.

As I'm writing this I think I'm realizing that I should indeed change the battery....

#69 ·
12.1V looks to be about 50% of charge. Now, that could be high discharge (perhaps self-discharge), or failure to be charged. Can't tell.

At this point, I'd say it's cause for some concern, but it's not pointing to what is wrong.

Note that after shut-off, the battery voltage will be high due to surface charge.

#70 ·
Is that something that can be addressed with B2B warranty?

#73 ·
WRONG WRONG WRONG, I was just going to start a new thread on this, because I just picked up a new battery at the GM parts Counter for free! Do Not bring the whole car in to the service area, Take the Battery out, it free replacement for 30 months, it has a secret Date code marked on the top of the battery.. This is the second Gm Battery I have got for free, the first one was two years ago, and now just got my second! This is the best battery ever, mine seems to last exactly 2 years... So today I called my service guy, and he was like NO NO, once your Bumper to bumper runs out so does your Battery warranty,,,All BS, The battery has a 30 month free replacement warranty, you don't need a receipt, the date code is on the battery for warranty, that's how all battery warranties work! Take the battery out, and bring it into the parts counter!

#76 ·
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ttery-group-size-h7-850-cca-h7-agm/10210826-P

Use code SAVINGS

I am looking for a new battery and I think this will be it.
I like that Battery however a little pricey? It would cost me about $275, including tax, core charge and California recycling fee before the various savings promotions they offer, I see $30, or 20%, also your SAVINGS code or N61 to save 10%. Who spends $275 on a battery. Plus they can't ship it to me although they offer free shipping and are out of stock at the stores that are for pickup

#79 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd put my .02 in.

Replaced my battery today.

2014 Cruze LS 1.8l

Looked at the options and went with a 34R Optima Red top, 800CCA

Not a perfect fit but with some padding it works. Price was the same as a Duralast Gold and cheaper than the Platinum (which the diesel requires because the CCA).

It's just long enough you have to move the divider out and fill. It's just short enough you'll have to pad under the tie down. The pos terminal needs a bit of massaging but it will fit fine.

Overall works and fits great.

EDIT: added pic

The foam spacers is the stuff you buy to keep your pipes fr M freezing. Cut to fit.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Tire Automotive tire

#81 ·
Car and Truck Automotive Batteries - Buy a Vehicle Battery for Cars or Trucks | Interstate Batteries - Mega-Tron Plus 94R/H7 Automotive Battery Six-Year Performance 790 CCAThis is a great thread. I wanted to add my input and findings. I have always used Interstate Mega Tron batteries. I am on my second one in my truck, the first one I replaced after 7 years of being started everyday in temps from -14 to 100 degrees. It ran extra lighting too and a bigger alternator charged it, it is 1000CA and I think about 880 CCA. Biggest one I could fit.

So I am glad I found this thread so when I need a battery I can fit the biggest one. The MTP 94R/H7 is 985CA/790CCA but weight is 42.9 lbs, so way less than the AGM stated in the OP's post.

I wonder what gives?

I will go interstate for my Cruze as I like to support local and they always have really good pricing.

Reactions: Diamond193
#82 ·
aAhh, nevermind I see what I did wrong in comparing

#83 ·
What I would do, is buy a Lithium battery, and put a 3Farad cap in parallel with the battery.
The CAP is just there to smooth out the charging current.
1 or 0.5 Farad cap will be just as good, but since it's only a few bucks more for a 3 Farad, I'd just get a 3 farad.
Besides, they also help in case you have a power-hungry radio with subs.

#84 ·
The failure rate of cheap caps is high enough that I wouldn't recommend this to everyone as a replacement for an OEM battery. The combination may not have enough cold cranking capacity for everyone else to start their cars with on exceptionally cold days here in the northern midwest. Good caps cost as much as a battery, so at that point, you may as well just pick up an H7 AGM and be done with it. A cap is really just a bandaid for a weak electrical system when it comes to sound systems, and has a tendency to mask real electrical issues that should be addressed.

#88 ·
It's not necessary, indeed. It just gives a more stable charging current, less voltage fluctuations or spikes, and should help the battery live a little longer.
If you turn on the digital volt meter on the car's dash, you can see that voltages can quickly fluctuate between 12.6V and 14.8V.
A cap can even them out.
It can also help with better starting on a worn or cold battery; but the difference is minimal

#97 · (Edited)
Still working on this capacitor "thing" which ProDigit originally brought up a couple posts back.

World highest level super-capacitor successfully created by CRRC ZELC_Home_CRRC ZHUZHOU LOCOMOTIVE CO., LTD.

China's first home-made supercapacitor tram unveiled - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Maxwell and CRRC to develop rail transit supercapacitors

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/asia/crrc-zhuzhou-wins-malaysian-emu-order.html

http://www.electronicdesign.com/power/can-supercapacitors-surpass-batteries-energy-storage

Forget diesel and gasoline powered cars I'm ready for a Bolt powered by supercapacitors!!
:tongue4::3tens:

Where is the gen 3 Tesla powered with the "flux" capacitor drive from Dr. Emmett Brown's DeLorean... I'm off to "Back to the Future!:eek:fftopic:

#101 ·
Just so everyone knows there's a code right now to get 30% off batteries at Advance Auto on you can get the H6 for about $130 and you can get the H7 for about $190.

The code is EM308A

It looks like the codes only good for about three more days, so if you think you need a new battery get one now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#102 ·
Looking to get the H6 but just missed out on this coupon. There's a 25% offer for signing up for their emails, but I'll probably wait for another 30% offer if I can.

This took me awhile to figure out: The group sizes list maximum sizes. So the H6/48 size can be longer, but the Platinum AGM doesn't use the max size. So a H6 Gold and H6 Platinum AGM are different actual sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.