Battery Issue

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Battery Issue

jmlo96 is online now [OP]

Battery Issue

Hey all,

Hopefully I am not making another thread on this issue. I know that I've read about the OEM batteries on the Cruzes not being the greatest. After about 2.5 years I think my battery may be failing.

When I went to leave work today, my battery was about 11.5 volts before starting and 11.2 right after starting. The car was sitting for about 10 hours. I also noticed when I am driving my reading stays at 15.4 volts from the alternator constantly charging. Does it sound like the battery is going bad or is it just from being 10 degrees?
    Current- 2014 Red Hot Cruze 1LT RS 6M
    Past- 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Consider it a warning.

If you're still under the three / 36 bumper-to-bumper then I'd have the dealer test the battery on the Midtronics machine to see if it can be warrantied.

Otherwise, start shopping for a new battery.

Best batteries on the market are Odyssey and Northstar. ~$300

Best value, i.e. Best battery for the money is Kirkland from Costco. ~$200
    jmlo96 and BrandoFisher117 like this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Administrator

Definite signs your battery is nearing end of life.
    jmlo96 likes this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I charged the battery some on the charger this morning. My results were still about the same. I'll definitely have to check into getting the battery replaced under warranty.
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

Update: I took the car into the dealer today and my battery was indeed bad at 23000 miles and 2.5 years. They replaced it for free with the upgraded ACDelco gold battery because that's all they had in stock. I'm pretty happy because it saved me 175 bucks.

FYI my battery was the updated 525 CCA battery.
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by jmlo96 View Post
    Update: I took the car into the dealer today and my battery was indeed bad at 23000 miles and 2.5 years. They replaced it for free with the upgraded ACDelco gold battery because that's all they had in stock. I'm pretty happy because it saved me 175 bucks.

Pretty cool deal! My Dealer had 3 AC Delco Batteries on display today and they were priced quite reasonably although they weren't Gold series, they were the PS series
    jmlo96 likes this.

Handbrake Released theonlypheonix's Avatar

So ...after replacing the battery what kind of readings do you get with the new battery under the same operating conditions and temperatures you described in your original post (10 hrs setting all night at 10F, before starting, right after starting and after driving your normal route when you saw 15.4V)?
    Last edited by theonlypheonix; 01-11-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Tomko and Blasirl like this.
    '15 Cruze Diesel- daily driver, currently 57K on clock. Hidden Content
    '05 Bonn GXP North*-head gaskets at 122K mi,head gaskets again at 153Kmi- TTY head bolts replaced w/studs,current 199Kmi
    '05 F350, 6.0L,SB, DRW -work horse at 175Kmi; other diesels owned '80 Rabbit, '85 Toyota Pickup, '85 Olds 88.
    '93 Stealth TT -garage princess but on the road she's King!!

Quote Originally Posted by theonlypheonix View Post
    So ...after replacing the battery what kind of readings do you get with the new battery under the same operating conditions and temperatures you described in your original post (10 hrs setting all night at 10F, before starting, right after starting and after driving your normal route when you saw 15.4V)?
    Well, it's 50 degrees now so I can't comment. I do notice the alternator running less and the car starts faster.
    2000 Daewoo Lanos Hatch

Driver's Ed
    Just an FYI: the battery will have a different warranty than your car. In other words, if you are out of your 36k Mike warranty, the battery "month" warranty may still be good.

You can look at the stickies and see I replaced mine with an Optima Redtop 34R. Fits nicely and has 800CCA. Cost was $175 out the door.
    jmlo96 likes this.

Handbrake Released theonlypheonix's Avatar
    Well, it's 50 degrees now so I can't comment. I do notice the alternator running less and the car starts faster.
    Well... its 50F degrees out now and not 10F like before so one would expect the car would start faster. Alternator running less... I assume means the voltage DIC is now lower then the 15.4V you previously reported. It was nice that your dealer step up to the plate checked your battery and replaced it free of charge but not sure that's the end of the story?

But without a full check out of your charging system you may still have problems and that might be the real cause behind your battery failure so soon. Historically there at least appears to be a problem with the crimps on the high current battery cables and not just the short one between the Batt neg terminal and frame.
    '15 Cruze Diesel- daily driver, currently 57K on clock. Hidden Content
    '05 Bonn GXP North*-head gaskets at 122K mi,head gaskets again at 153Kmi- TTY head bolts replaced w/studs,current 199Kmi
    '05 F350, 6.0L,SB, DRW -work horse at 175Kmi; other diesels owned '80 Rabbit, '85 Toyota Pickup, '85 Olds 88.
    '93 Stealth TT -garage princess but on the road she's King!!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.