Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

My first "indication" of a problem!

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Chevy Customer Care 
#1 ·
I was sitting at a longish red light, nothing new here, listening to the radio when all of a sudden, the radio "burps". I mean it was playing, went completely dead for about 1 second, came back to life and then did it again. Is this the beginning of the end for my battery?

I have no heavy excess loads, just a few minor add-ons; detector, pucks, voltmeter and not sure if it counts, but XP50 reverse lights (yeah I know, they are not on). After leaving that light and continuing on to the gas station (below low at this point), I looked at the charging voltage. It was about 15.2vdc while driving. At the gas station, after fueling, while driving away, it read 15.0vdc and then after parking at home a few miles later, the car was not running and read 12.3 vdc.

The 12.3vdc seems a bit low for two starts, radio and headlights after a 25 mile drive.

I also noticed some corrosion on the positive terminal that I need to take care of pronto as well. If I can I will test the battery with our (work) Midtronics Essential tester, but at this moment I do not know what the Siemens rating is for the stock battery. (At least I think it is stock). When I get a chance today, I will look at it and chime back in.

Any comments, suggestions, WTFWYT!'s

Time to get to work though, l8r!

See less See more
#4 ·
No and my warranty ran out in November.

The negative battery cable TSB doesn't apply to the Gen 2 Cruze. This sounds more like a bad battery, especially with corrosion on the terminal.
I have a Gen I - 2014 LT 1.4 gasser

Auto part Automotive fuel system
Label Subcompact car

Does anyone know what model battery this is? If I can research it before I take it out, it would be better.

Also, the markings on the terminal - any idea what they mean - if anything?

Thanks

#3 ·
The negative battery cable TSB doesn't apply to the Gen 2 Cruze. This sounds more like a bad battery, especially with corrosion on the terminal.

#6 ·
#10 ·
And I answered based on it being in the Gen 2 section. I do think, however that the problem is the battery. There should be no corrosion around either terminal.

#18 ·
Hi there Blasirl,

I'm sorry to hear about this battery concern with your Cruze. I understand you've received feedback from fellow forum members, however, I would be more than happy to look into this for you further on my end as well. If that is something of interest, please send a private message verifying your VIN to move forward.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.