Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

More News on future of the Cruze Diesel

5K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Aussie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
Yes. Last night industry bible the automotive news reported that the diesel hatchback will be offered with a six speed manual and a nine speed automatic.

Reactions: vwgtiglx
#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Makes me glad I waited to buy ... might finally jump on the diesel train again (had a 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 5.7L diesel) been away from it for too long!

#7 ·
That's a car that I think we'd all be very eager to hear more about.

#8 ·
The 2014 Cruze diesel came out in May of 2013 (when I bought mine). Seems like the 2018 will follow a similar release schedule (in 2017)

#10 ·
But with GM and their "infinite" wisdom, they'll probably still screw up the options packages and force you to get an automatic transmission and other unwanted specs when all you really want is a Navigation radio, and a manual transmission ... instead of having to get a sunroof to get the better stereo, or front and rear collision avoidance to get just one thing you want ... not all the extra stuff. Oh, how I miss the days when you could go down the options list to pick and choose what you wanted on the care you were having built for yourself.

Reactions: oilburner
#11 ·
That's any auto manufacturer, attempting "complexity reduction".

That said - the only trim the sunroof is available on is the Premiere - so, yep, you're forced into an automatic if you wanted a sunroof. And the upgraded stereo.

I think that since MyLink has Android Auto, you can use your phone for navigation, "mirrored" onto the screen.

#13 ·
Does not appear to be the case for 2017. Only on the LT automatic and Premier, can you get the Sun and Sound package.

#16 ·
I guess we won't know what's what as far as options go until they release it (the diesel). I'd like the Bose as a standalone option on a lower trim level.

#17 ·
I'm just pumped that I'll have the option to buy a manual at all, especially for their turbo diesel car which won't sell nearly as well as the gas powered brothers. I can always add an aftermarket navigation radio (the sunroof is kind of a bummer but I'm a cheapskate anyway) Everyone else keeps telling me "let it go man, soon manuals will disappear all together" But I REFUSE! The day manuals stop being offered in new vehicles is the day I start buying used vehicles only.

Reactions: spaycace
#19 ·
According to the latest 2017 GM Powertrain Products document, it will be the new 9T50

#22 ·
I've known a few gals that could take care of that ... Oh, wait a minute, that's a different kind of snake charming ... :th_coolio:

On a serious note ... I wouldn't guess the diesel variant this time around will be much different option comparison wise compared to the Gen1 comparisons when it comes to transmission choice, although I'd almost wager a paycheck that the manny tranny and the auto will be rated for the same mpg rating, or the auto will actually be rated higher in diesel guise than it's gasoline burning siblings.

#23 ·
If I read it correctly that the ctd will have a nine speed auto, in theory it could be more efficient than a manual, a nine speed should be keeping engine right where it should be. Excited to see how the cars drive in real life and reliability.

#25 ·
Some very intriguing questions come to mind. First what is the true mpg comparison between the manual and the automatic? Second what is the transmission cost service and the service interval for the automatic(remember the $$$cost of VW DSG service)? Third, do I have to buy a soon to leak, solar oven, of a sunroof in order to get Apple Play? Do the interiors come in anything other than black cloth(I have a brown haired dog)? How comfortable are the seats on long highway drives? All other problems aside, VW seats are some of the most comfortable seats for me especially after I developed sciatica. Most important of all is how much would I have to pay for the joy of diesel driving? If all of these questions are answered to my satisfaction, I have a purchase to make in early 2018.

#26 ·
Most important of all is how much would I have to pay for the joy of diesel driving?
If they enter the market around where VW did, I think that would be a great start. I seem to remember the TDI's started out under $22K.

#28 ·
True. I would like the option for a stripped down model though. With a stick.

#29 ·
Oh I want a stick but with most of the other options except a sunroof. A good stereo system with Apple Play, light colored seats that hold up to my dog, heated and comfortable seats. I don't need the super big wheels that people think they have to have now days, that just leads to a rougher ride with a shorter life span and more expensive replacement costs. I'm open as to the paint color to most anything except black or gray. Gray is blah and black is a punishment.

#30 ·
Well after todays court ruling it looks like I'm going to have money to spend within a very few months. However so far it's just like late 2012, I had a spare 5K show up and my niece cracked up her ride and I essentially gave her my Toyota for a family discount. That meant I needed to act fast. VW had a diesel available and Chevy didn't for several more months. Will history repeat itself?

#31 ·
I would bet the farm that Chevy releases a diesel Cruze before VW releases a diesel anything. :)

Reactions: MP81
#35 ·
Actually you have to drive the car into the dealership under it's own power. That means if I get tboned or the hpfp grenades I'm diddled. At that point I would get paid the post emissions scandal insurance price which almost immediately dropped 16% once the scandal broke. So I'm stuck rolling the dice until Chevy puts out their diesel hatchback maybe late in the summer? I also lose 5 cents for every mile driven which admittedly is better than a sharp stick in the eye.
And no VW won't release a diesel anything in the US any time soon. The EPA has them by the short and curlies. They will focus on electric cars since they have to build a network of charging stations anyway to settle the environmental remediation clause of the courts judgement.

#36 ·
I was reading about the new Holden Astra hatchback that is coming out in December and came across this in the middle of the article. This is the European car and will be imported into Australia.

Our test car is a pretty-basic ‘Selective’ specification so there are no fancy driver aids or other techno whizbangs to distract and confuse things. Powered by a 1.6-litre 110kW/300Nm turbo diesel and six-speed manual transmission, it lists for around €21,000 (A$32,000) which puts it in between European pricing of a Mazda3 and Toyota Corolla.

Reactions: pacolino
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.