2018 Cruze Hatchback Diesel

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 2018 Cruze Hatchback Diesel

LiveTrash is online now [OP]

Went to look at a hatchback (it was a 2017 LT with RS package) and took it for a drive yesterday to get a feel for the hatchback model. I loved everything about it. Very much looking forward to the Diesel release. From what I've read, it looks like it'll be out for the 2018 release and be available with a manual transmission. This is the car I've been saying for ages that I would love to have; now here it is.

I figured I'd start this thread for others who are interested in the same or similar combination. We can post info about the model here and just share general knowledge we come across that we and others can reference off of. I talked with the salesman I bought my 2014 Diesel off of and he said he should have more information about it (for a Canadian release anyway) in the coming week or two. Another salesman there who was a diesel aficionado to say the least was able to provide some insight into it. He said a GM exhaust engineer was at the dealer and he was talking to him about it and the new engine coming out for 2018. It's going to be a 1.6L turbo whisper-quiet diesel engine that delivers power that will be pleasantly surprising to some.

I'm looking forward to the package options for the 2018 release rather than being stuck with the premium model the 2014 Diesel was bound to. But in all honesty I'd probably go with a leather package anyway. The LT with the base interior wasn't really working for me.
    Last edited by LiveTrash; 01-08-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel | Crystal Red Tint Coat /w Cocoa Leather Interior | Safety and Convenience Package

Modifications
    20% Window Tint All Around
    OEM Fog Light Install
    Hidden Content /w Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Equipment
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Same here, waiting patiently for the 2018 DIESEL/MANUAL to be released.

Drag Racing Champion
    Has a price been mentioned for the diesel manual hatch? I think that will affect the decision to get one for many people.
    Current vehicles:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Previous vehicles:
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
    2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I assume the manual will be a six speed? And the auto will be the new nine speed?

LiveTrash is online now [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
    I assume the manual will be a six speed? And the auto will be the new nine speed?
    This is highly likely. I can't see it going any other way.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel | Crystal Red Tint Coat /w Cocoa Leather Interior | Safety and Convenience Package

Modifications
    20% Window Tint All Around
    OEM Fog Light Install
    Hidden Content /w Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Equipment
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
    It was just reported that the GMC Terrain diesel will have the 6 speed auto. Not sure if there are any implications for the Cruze.

"GM's 1.6-liter diesel four will also be available, making 137 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque in this application. Both gas engines will be paired with nine-speed automatic transmissions, while the diesel gets a six-speed auto."

2018 GMC Terrain loses the V6 and gains a diesel for an all-turbo lineup - Autoblog
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 200K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 6K (Gordon - my backup car until the new 1.6 diesels come out)

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    It was just reported that the GMC Terrain diesel will have the 6 speed auto. Not sure if there are any implications for the Cruze.

"GM's 1.6-liter diesel four will also be available, making 137 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque in this application. Both gas engines will be paired with nine-speed automatic transmissions, while the diesel gets a six-speed auto."

2018 GMC Terrain loses the V6 and gains a diesel for an all-turbo lineup - Autoblog
    Given that they have said the Equinox and Cruze with that engine both come with the 9 speed, as well as the 1.5T in the Terrain, I think someone got their facts wrong.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Given that they have said the Equinox and Cruze with that engine both come with the 9 speed, as well as the 1.5T in the Terrain, I think someone got their facts wrong.
    Agreed.

I can't wait until we at least get some facts about this **** thing. I'm okay with the wait, though, since it's likely just trying to make sure they have this thing nailed down if they are going to try to steal away burned VW owners.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I don't think we will know for sure until we see one on a dealer's lot.
    obermd likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 200K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 6K (Gordon - my backup car until the new 1.6 diesels come out)

I really don't understand the fascination for a manual diesel other than you like shifting. The mileage with a manual can't be much better (if at all) than an automatic transmission. Auto's are getting better and more efficient every year. I mean at 50+ mpg with my 14 CTD auto, I'm pretty darn happy never shifting.
    IndyDiesel and Chris Tobin like this.
    Black Granite CTD

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.