Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feeler: Swap Cruze for Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mike1coolguy88 
#1 ·
I realized I may be more of a lease guy because I always want a different car. Right now I and am thinking about switching(trading) my cruze out for a jeep wrangler unlimited (4 door). The cruze is a 2011 eco 6mt that I purchased July 2011. It has just shy of 18,000 miles on it right now. Interior has been meticulously well kept, exterior is also in phenomenal condition. Has the drivers convenience package (leather wrapped wheel, leather shift knob, bluetooth, etc.) Front windows have a 35% tint on them, rear doors and rear windshield have 25% tint. Chevy emblems on the front and back have been painted in a matching metallic paint by Maaco. Everything else is just as it would come from the factory. Just trying to get a feel for what kind of interest (if any) there may be. Please chime in with whatever you're thinking.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet cruze Full-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Mid-size car

See less See more
#3 ·
Depending on what you plan on doing to the Jeep the economy will really stink after owning the Cruze. I have been on JK-Forum.com for a few months, I'm also looking at getting a JKU once I sell my 65 impala. From what I read the mpg isn't to bad on a stock setup but once you add bigger tires and such it really drops.

What part of NJ are you in? I have friends in Forked River.

#5 ·
I went (kind of) the other way. A little more than a month ago I traded my 2009 2 door Wrangler Rubicon on a 2013 Cruze Eco.

I loved my Jeep and they are unmatched for their off road capabilities. A couple of winters ago when we had 40+ inches of snow I went looking for unplowed roads and never came close to being stuck. I had it in water deep enough that it was coming OVER the hood, deep sand, mud, etc. It never disappointed.

As a daily driver it was not great. I had a 2.5" lift, with stock Rubicon tires. I have a 65 mile RT daily commute and averaged around 18.5 MPG. 2 trips a week to the gas station. It was noisy, with lots of tire and wind noise at highway speed. The JK (2007 and up) Wranglers handle great compared to the older ones, but it's still a short wheelbase vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity. Mine was a 6 speed manual and the Rubicon gearing is lower. The Cruze accelerates like a rocket ship compared to the Jeep.

The 1 thing I really miss about my Jeep is being up higher for better sight lines.

I'm really pleased with my Cruze and feel like I absolutely did the right thing for my situation. With that said, if I didn't need it as a daily driver I'd still have the Jeep.

#6 ·
I have a 2012 Wrangler 2-door. The OP should be aware that the 3.6 motor has a known issue with cylinder heads failing. Chrysler redesigned the head in the summer of 2012, and then a second redesign later. Be careful if you're thinking about a 2012 model year Jeep. There are a lot of folks who have trouble with rain leaks into the cabin also. They can be fun but they drive like a short wheelbase top heavy truck.

I like mine for the open roof driving experience. In warm weather I take off the doors and replace them with lightweight fabric doors. It's pretty nice driving topless like that through the scenery on warm evenings.

#7 ·
I had a 2009 4 door, before i went with something a little more fuel efficient. Loved the jeep, hated the gas it guzzled. Really cold in it in the winter, seats take some getting used to as they are really stiff. I loved the top down and doors off (don't recommend over 100km) . Wifey hated it though as she hates the sun.

If it wasn't for the gas i would of kept it. Also was always worried with the soft top on, as all it takes is someone unzipping it to get in, let alone some punk kids slashing the windows. Never had an issue but was always worried when i went to the mall or movies.

#8 ·
It honestly depends on
Where you live country or city.
Miles driven daily
Do you "NEED" it for its capabilities
Or do you just like it for its look and "name".

Personally I like jeeps, but I def see it as a cheaper downgrade. I would never buy one for a daily driver only for the weekend fun or when in winter time.
I just see it as a problem child in the future.

#10 ·
My commute really isn't that bad. About 20 miles per day so the mpg aren't my biggest concern. Kind of bored with the cruze. Looking for something bigger, thinking about gettin some jet skis so i will need to be able to tow them. I want something I can have a little more fun with as far as customization and design uniqueness. Also I just want something with a slightly more "road boss" type feeling. I am in south jersey, mount laurel actually, we get snowy winters and I snowboard so something good for the mountains and snow would also be ideal. And of course topless drivin in the summer at the beach would be lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
Snow tires solve the snow traction issue very well. A Wrangler, even the Unlimited, is likely giving up a bit of interior space. These cars do tow just fine, even though it's not mentioned in the owner's manual.

And, "fun" is in the eye of the beholder. A Cruze is "fun" for me since I drive a ton and it doesn't suck down a ton of gas while still being fast enough to pass quickly. It's also comfortable for the long daily drive I do.

Sounds like you want a Wrangler just because you want one. There's nothing wrong with that.

#12 ·
Sounds like you want a Wrangler just because you want one. There's nothing wrong with that.
Thats the exact reason i got mying. Ever since i started driving i wanted a jeep. Finally bought it, kept it for a year said well now that thats out of my system time for a more family fuel friendly car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.