Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

DIY Bluetooth A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming)

391K views 496 replies 163 participants last post by  leifalbor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Go back to COMG- The Cruze Owner's Maintenance Guide

DIY Bluetooth A2DP (Bluetooth Audio Streaming)

So after reading and doing some research I've been itching on the idea of having factory Stereo Bluetooth aka A2DP. In the forum post on this site http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-e...e-firmware-version-your-cruze-radio-pdim.html the user bojangles talks about his issues with USB and how he was able to get the dealership to install the PDIM from a Camaro. Looking further I want to avoid the dealership at all possible. I then got in my 2012 Cruze LTZ/RS and checked the FW/SW and luckily I have the latest according to the forum post DB/DD.

Looking on the internet and the forum the PDIM GM#20985421 (22872777, 22829143 - part has been renumbered a couple of times now -obermd) is the PDIM from a Camaro and is the latest according to the forum post on the Camaro website. AMAZON has it currently for under 90 bucks, I ordered it and took apart my dash and after poking around for about an hour I finally found my current PDIM which is very conveniently located. Today the Camaro PDIM will come in, point being is hopefully since my FW is up to to latest it should be plug and play and work like a charm. (fingers crossed) I can't be certain poking around on the Camaro forum the people who have installed PDIM's never had one to begin with and they didn't have the latest and had to have theirs flashed. This is why I say this is a test, Will update and post a how to if it works along with the location of the PDIM.

UPDATE: WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Simple Guide to install

I already had DB/DD installed prob will work for you too as long as your radio is at this FW. If not I'm not sure how this will work out for you. You might need to go into a dealership to update then you can preform this mod. I take no responsibility for anything about this guide it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you or your car wont randomly explode because you installed a factory feature not available to the cruze lol.

1. First you need the New PDIM GM#22797218, along with a flat head screwdriver and a 7mm socket
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

2. Detach the passenger kickpannel that is under the center console like so. (It just pulls off but be careful)
Vehicle Car Auto part

3. Detach the silver/golf ball trim that around the shift-nob
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive design
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

4. Remove the 2 screws on each side of the change holder
Auto part Bumper Vehicle Electronics Engine
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel

5. Sorry for the pics couldn't get a better one but kinda underneath after you remove the change holder you'll see the PDIM.
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive lighting Mid-size car

6. Ok back underneath the passengers side kick panel you removed earlier you'll also see the end of the PDIM I used my hand and pushed it. FYI their are some clips holding the PDIM front where we removed the change pocket.

Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Trunk

you'll see it start to come out.

Auto part Tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

7. After pulling it so far I let if fall down so it exposes the back of the PDIM
Electronics Electronic component Technology Auto part Electronic device

8. Here we have the PDIM

Material property Auto part Car

9. All you do now is replace it with the new one and your good to go. FYI the USB cord is hard to get off you need to put a flat blade in-between the metal clip you do not press down on the metal clip to remove you press up by putting something in-between.

See less See more
#6 ·
Confirmed Working MOD

Updated to a guide on my original post it really works!!!:eusa_clap: Also my FW/SW stayed the same
Electronics Technology Electronic device Gadget Telephony
Technology Telephony Electronics Electronic device Mobile phone

So for anyone wanting factory A2DP this is one route special thanks goes to bojangles for without him I would of never looked into this in the first place.

#30 ·
I thought I had put a whole new top of the line stereo in with top of the line speakers after swapping in the Bluetooth PDM. I tested by starting a song via the MP3 jack and then switching over to bluetooth stereo. Better volume, crisper sound, no static, etc. I also compared to a different song on a USB stick and I couldn't tell the difference from a USB stick plugged in vs the Bluetooth audio.

#11 ·
I like that concept. The reason why I ask is because I have a bit of a blessing and a curse. I design very high end home theater speakers and have installed some incredible car audio systems. I design my speakers and car audio systems using precision measurement equipment to ensure that the frequency response is as flat and natural as possible.

If there's a loss in audio fidelity using bluetooth streaming, I'll hear it.

#12 ·
O yeah you being a audiophile you will prob notice the sound degration. Normal music listening joes like myself wont notice or care. Bluetooth looses audio manly because its wireless and the bandwidth allowed by the Bluetooth spec.

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah I don't think the A2DP of this module is necessarily high bitrate/bandwidth, but it definitely gets the job done. I personally didn't see too much of a difference compared to Satellite radio.

This PDIM solved ALL of my problems, until it failed on me about one week later.

Keep us posted Extibal!

#14 ·
Yeah I don't think the A2DP of this module is necessarily high bitrate/bandwidth, but it definitely gets the job done. I personally didn't see too much of a difference compared to Satellite radio.
Eek. Satellite radio is no better than FM, lol.

#15 ·
It's all up to the listener's ear. Depends on your phone's Bluetooth signal as well. You could see USB quality, but **** I haven't had this installed for more than a month now. All I can say is that I was personally pleased with the quality when I had it.

I've gone the more expensive route and am getting a DDIN Nav Unit Installed next week!

EDIT: OH, and for all of you wondering. When you press and hold the MENU button to view the firmware, THIS IS THE PDIM FIRMWARE AND HARDWARE VERSION, NOT THE RADIO.

#25 ·
2 questions - first, does the cover around the shift lever come off in the same way in the Manual Transmission?

Why do we need to take the covers off the console if the PDIM is accessible from the passenger kick panel? Is this simply to make it so there is enough room to swap the PDIMs?

#26 ·
I am not sure about the Manual Transmission Question, but if i recall the PDIM can only come out from the area where the change bin is. I use the passenger kick panel to push the PDIM out. As far as I remember anyways you might be right been since March since I did the mod so I don't recall clearly.

#28 ·
#29 ·
Extibal - thanks for this writeup.

Minor change for those of us with manual transmissions.

You don't need to take the passenger kick plate off (step 2).

To take the trim off in step 3, do the following:

Set your handbrake and turn your car off - you will need to move the shifter between 1st and 2nd gears several times while removing the trim, coin holder, and PDIM. Make sure you can shift from 1st to 2nd and back without pushing in the clutch.

3A - With your fingernails, lift the top part of the shift boot ring off the silver trim. The ring is silver as well and you want to slide your fingernails between the ring and the silver trim. The front of the shift boot trim will come up and then you can pull the back part up. Pull the boot trim up so it covers the shift knob.

3B - Reach into the opening and lift the rear of the silver trim up. You can get the four tabs around the shifter this way. To get the tabs at the top of the silver trim, I used a 1.5 inch spackle blade. Lifting the trim about halfway up the side (next to the A/C control knobs) you can gently slide the spackle blade in and twist. The silver trim will pop off.
When I went to pull the old PDIM out, I used a pair of pliers to grab the lip of the old PDIM. I then pushed each of the two tabs down with my fingers and pulled. You only need the pliers to pull out far enough to pass the tab edge.

The rest of the instructions are the same as Extibal's instructions for an automatic transmission Cruze.

#33 ·
No song information was shown on the radio screen. I checked and the steering wheel controls worked changing the music on the phone, streamed a shoutcast station from the phone as well. Just a little additional info, i have a 2012 Cruze LT1 - I have the latest firmware DB/DD, paired the car and phone with no issues once I was done. I checked the USB port in the console and the USB connector under the passenger side kick panel, no power to them, it looked like the USB cable was wired into the cable going into the PDIM USB cable.

I'd much rather have the A2DP streaming, it is just annoying to have to go to this extent to get bluetooth stereo streaming.

any other settings/config I need to do?

#35 ·
Pull your new PDIM back out. There are two plugs on the back of it. The big one goes to the radio and the small one goes to the USB & Aux ports in the center glove box. You didn't get the small one completely reseated.

#37 ·
Excellent.:)

#39 ·
I couldn't find anything. When I'm in for my next oil change/recalls I'll ask. This PDIM is the same one as the one in the Sonic and it displays in the Sonic so it must be software. I tested my phone in a Sonic before spending the money.

Stacy - is DB/DD the latest version of the Cruze's base radio firmware?

#41 ·
Does it show the media information when playing via Bluetooth?

#43 ·
Stacy, I'll send it to you when I get home. I don't have my VIN readily available. Enjoy your time off - you've earned it reading all the complaints on CT and other forums.

#46 ·
obermd,
I have not received an answer to this question but as soon as I do I will report it back to you. I did enjoy my time off btw. It was very hot but nice to spend that time with my kids. I hope you also enjoyed your holiday!
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service