How To: Get to the Gas Cap!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How To: Get to the Gas Cap!

How To: Get to the Gas Cap!

I needed someone to create this thread before I bought my Cruze. I read some articles about the car, visited a few dealerships after hours to see a Cruze 'in the flesh' without being 'helped', and then I test drove one to see how it drove, and sounded, and felt. Then I made the decision to buy a Cruze, and I decided which model and color I wanted. Fortunately the exact car I wanted was sitting on my nearest dealer's lot! I showed up and told the salesman I was interested in buying THIS car. We discussed the price, he gave me the keys and left me alone to explore the car. I wanted to sit in all the seats, look at the trunk and the engine compartment, and see how things opened, turned on, adjusted, etc. I figured out just about everything on my own EXCEPT how to open the fuel door! I couldn't see anything on the door which indicated how it opened from the outside, so I searched the passenger compartment for a release lever or button. I have a similar looking fuel door on my 1988 Fiero GT, and it has a release lever. I did try pushing on the door, but I didn't use enough pressure to open it. I didn't want to do the wrong thing and break something (especially since this was going to be MY car!). So when the dealer asked if I had any questions, I did have one for him.

How to get to the gas cap....

Go to the round door located on the passenger side rear quarter panel.

Imagine the door has a clock face on it, and put your finger where the '9' would be. Use a clean finger or thumb, not a rock, or car keys, or anything with an abrasive surface, or you will scratch the finish on the fuel door.

Push down on the '9'. Not 'down' toward the ground. Push on it as if your intention was to stick your finger through the side of the car. As though you wanted to touch the driver's side rear tire.

Continue to push with a firm pressure. You will need to apply more pressure than you need in order to type text messages on your mobile device, but less pressure than is required to do a pushup. Try to do a pushup so you will be able to compare.

If you do this properly, the fuel door will give way, moving inward, and then stop. When it stops moving, release the pressure you are applying (pull your finger back toward your body).

The door will open, revealing a secret compartment containing a fuel (gas) cap.

Mission accomplished!

I am exhausted, but I am glad to have contributed. I will leave it to someone else to create related 'how to' threads (like 'how to remove the gas cap', 'how to put fuel into the car', and 'how to close the fuel door').

And in all seriousness, let me say that I love this forum. It has saved me time, money, and frustration. I appreciate all of the sharing of information, and I hope that you'll take this message in the spirit it is created - with love and the sincere hope that it will make you smile.
    Vinny, Jules6977 and mikeeitup like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Perfect for a "new/potential owners" thread. I approve!
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Driver's Ed
    I had to laugh at this only because it hit home a bit. I was ready to go fill up for the first time since buying my Cruze and there were two things I didn't know. 1) Which side of the car was the gas cap on and 2) How the **** do you open it. I made the wife read the owners manual to me on the way to the gas station. The again, I live in Jersey and can't pump my own gas. At least the attendan knew how to access it. Fortunately I pulled in on the correct side of the pump.

Off-Road Champion
    Well done good sir.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Duke of Oil
    Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Very cool! This is what this community is all about!

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Haha that's awesome. I think most people go through this as I did. But I learned that on the fuel gauge, next to the fuel pump picture there is an arrow. It points to the direction of which side the fuel is pumped on. Maybe on all cars? Very helpful for when I brain fart and forget which side, look down and poof it tells me.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

I'm glad fuel door is on the passenger side. I never have to worry about opening the door and scraping the bottom on the concrete slab that some pumps sit on.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
    2011 LS MT | Eiback Pro Kit | Injen CAI | Klearz Side markers | Carbon Fiber overlay Bowties | Debadged | Upgraded headlight harness | Kenwood 12"

Definitely a needed post..sadly, but true! I know for certain, I went from driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee where you just flicked it open. I know that I spent some time trying to figure it out! Like Jgaul said.. you have to laugh because it hits home.
    jgaul79 likes this.
    2013 Cruze 2LT w/ RS Package
    2012 Cruze LS (oCRUZEo) -
    Traded in on 07/25/2013

Follow me on twitter! @iamjoshmahoney

Quote Originally Posted by jgaul79 View Post
    I had to laugh at this only because it hit home a bit. I was ready to go fill up for the first time since buying my Cruze and there were two things I didn't know. 1) Which side of the car was the gas cap on and 2) How the **** do you open it. I made the wife read the owners manual to me on the way to the gas station. The again, I live in Jersey and can't pump my own gas. At least the attendan knew how to access it. Fortunately I pulled in on the correct side of the pump.
    Look at your gas guage. There is a little arrow that points to what side the cap is on.
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by jgaul79 View Post
    I've always driven cars with the fuel door on the left. Five months later, I *still* pull in on that side. *facepalm*
    All advice, opinions, etc contained in this post are guaranteed to be worth exactly what you paid for them. All rights reserved. Offer not valid in some areas.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast