10 years ago I said I'd never own another car
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By iCruze2

Thread: 10 years ago I said I'd never own another car

Driver's Ed

10 years ago I said I'd never own another car

We just had trucks and SUVs.....then in 2011 and 2012 with gas pushing four dollars, I had to eat my words.
    I am a old gearhead and had a 79 CJ 7 Jeep, frame off build with tons of cash invested.....in Sept 2011 I sold it on Craigslist and bought a 2012 Cruze LT auto.
    It now has 17,000 miles, no problems....the dealer stopped giving free oil changes, so I found this site looking for tips and info. Looks like the biggest problem is getting it up in the air, I have 2 floor jacks but am concerned of damage.
    Anyway Hi. to everyone......

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Resident Tater Salad
    Buy a set of rhino ramps. They're brilliant.

Welcome to the site!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Off-Road Champion
    Welcome aboard Crash&burn.

The only tips I can give you for a DIY oil change is:

Have these tools handy:

-2 Car ramps(for front wheels).
    -10mm socket for the drain plug.
    -24mm socket with a 3" extension for the filter cap.
    -Proper oil filter.
    -ATLEAST Dexos Approved synthetic blend 5W30, if not full synthetic Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, Royal Purple, etc.. I'd honestly steer clear of conventional oil, unless you want to change your oil every 3k miles.
    -Shop rags or paper towels to clean up.

It's not too bad of a job. May I strongly suggest, the first thing you do, is crack open the filter cap several turns before draining oil. That way, the oil will drain out in a steady stream rather than pulsing, and the filter will have ample time to drain while the oil is being drained. By the time you change your filter after closing the drain plug, there will be next to nothing dripping off the filter.
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Buy a set of rhino ramps. They're brilliant.

Welcome to the site!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    I have a set of Harbor Freight ramps but they look like the facia will hit first, will try to cut some 2X8s to set in front of ramps.....

4th Gear
    Buy a might-vac and suck the oil out through the oil dipstick tube from the pan. Problem solved. I bought one for that reason. No jacking the car up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iCruze2 View Post
    Buy a might-vac and suck the oil out through the oil dipstick tube from the pan. Problem solved. I bought one for that reason. No jacking the car up!!!
    How effective is that process ... and more importantly, is there ANY POSSIBLE chance of damage to the vehicle in any way, shape, or form? Such as, is there something you have to put down the dipstick tube that could potentially break and/or leave debris behind?
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD Traded in for 2014 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos pushin' 680 ponies to the wheels!

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by spaycace View Post
    How effective is that process ... and more importantly, is there ANY POSSIBLE chance of damage to the vehicle in any way, shape, or form? Such as, is there something you have to put down the dipstick tube that could potentially break and/or leave debris behind?
    Very effective, and to answer your question...No, its a nylon tube that fits almost as if it were made to go inside the Cruze dipstick tube. While the mightvac sucks the oil out, you can remove/replace the filter and then your oil pan should be empty!!!
    OnlyTaurus likes this.

Sounds good ... just wondered if there was any way small pieces of the tubing could get "nicked" against engine parts while inserting/removing it and end up in the engine where they might cause a problem if they got trapped somewhere other than in the filter.
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD Traded in for 2014 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos pushin' 680 ponies to the wheels!

Off-Road Champion
    I have a set of Harbor Freight ramps but they look like the facia will hit first, will try to cut some 2X8s to set in front of ramps.....
    Like jblackburn said - Rhino ramps work fine. I get a little scrape from the rubber air dam on my ECO, but no damage. The actual oil change is a breeze. Just follow the instructions Only Taurus listed. Also your tightening torque specs are very low and if I recall are listed on the oil pan and filter cap.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements