Oil pan heater... - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Oil pan heater...

A few loose bolts in the engine bay , wires not crimped in the engine bay and my back window on the passenger side was warped and needs/will be replaced and 3 missing clips that hold trunk liner were missing .
    Manny

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GotDiesel? View Post
    ..3 missing clips that hold trunk liner were missing...
    That's what NickD was talking about if I can remember.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I'm thinking the opening from the engine shield recall, route it under there, then zip tie the plug to the bottom of the bumper

-Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 on VZW's LTE network.
    what is this recall that your referring to??

Quote Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
    what is this recall that your referring to??
    The engine shield was cut on 2011 and 2012 Cruze to prevent oil fires from piss poor oil change practices. 2013 and on got a new shield from the factory already cut. In short if you open the hood and look down and see ground, it's been cut.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Last edited by Merc6; 09-15-2013 at 10:03 AM.

2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

6th Gear
    Does anybody know the lowest temp this car is designed to start at, without any heater?

I watch cold start videos on Youtube all the time and I see many diesels sitting overnight at well below -20 starting up without being plugged in or anything. I, personally, will not worry about that. The only diesel I ever had an issue starting was a 1979 Mercedes 300D with low compression. It would not start when it dropped below zero (but it was quite a show trying to get it to start!)
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 76K (Domenic), 1990 Buick LeSabre 121K (Bob), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed (Rammstein - odo broken)

Touring Champion

Good day bigluke and others. It's a little hard to follow the start of this conversation as there are some deleted posts, but I think I've got he basic idea.

I'm not sure if the oil pan heater on the TD is the same as the one on the gas Cruze, but if it is, I posted a thread a while back on how to defeat the thermostat inside the heater cord.

NOTE: This is a non-reversible modification and the cord is not cheap from the dealer, so modder beware.

On the gas Cruze the oil pan heater has a thermostat that doesn't allow it to turn on until the temperature drops below 0F (-18C). I modified teh cord to allow the heater to activate regardless of outside temperature. The gas car has the potential to set an SES light if a block heater is used. This is because the car runs a diagnostic when teh key is switched on and if two different temperature sensors in the engine don't register within a few degrees of each other on start up the car assumes an issue with one of the sensors.

I don't know if the Cruze TD has similar diagnostics, or if the oil pan heater even has a thermostat in the cord. Here's the thread in case there's any relative information:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-ho...t-removal.html

Since doing this modification to the heater cord I have educated myself quite a bit on engine oils. I am VERY convinced that even this little 200W oil pan heater is making a significant difference in how easy it is to pump the oil when starting at extreme temperatures. Warming the oil even a few degrees can make a huge difference in its viscosity at low temperatures, as can be seen in the following graph here:

Widman viscosity graph - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Anyone who is interested in learning about oil should consider reading through the "Oil University" tutorial on that Bob Is The Oil Guy site. Engine oil viscosity is not an overly complicated topic to comprehend, but it is really surprising how many people "think" they know certain things about oil, when in reality they know very little.
    '12 ECO MT

ive never plugged in any vehicles til -15c anyways

5th Gear

I only would plug in at -13 F and that was with a carburetated engine.

Never plugged in a fuel injected engine.

Cruze Diesel has been tested to start unassisted at -20 (one source says -22).

The Diesel's oil pan heater does NOT have a thermostat.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Touring Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
    Cruze Diesel has been tested to start unassisted at -20 (one source says -22).

The Diesel's oil pan heater does NOT have a thermostat.
    Good info, thanks!

Regardless of how cold the engine is capable of starting, cold oil is cold oil. Anyone starting any engine, gas or diesel, in extremely cold environments will be doing their engines a big favor by using a good full synthetic oil as well as using the oil pan heater.
    '12 ECO MT

Thanks for the info! Never plugged a gas engine either but I want to baby this diesel because I want to keep this car as long as I can. Great info again!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast