Oil pan heater... - Page 6
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Oil pan heater...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorday View Post
    I've heard the diesel oil pan heater does not have a thermostat, but I do not know if this is correct. I'm considering adding the oil pan heater to my car since it doesn't have it. Sounds like there are two parts needed from GM; the heater itself and the cord. Each part has a GM list price of over $200. The part numbers I was given are 12654017 and 95275360. Unfortunately, these part numbers are so new that they aren't even in any of the parts catalogs I have so I can't tell for sure which is which or if they are even the right parts.
    diesel oil pan heater DOES NOT have thermostat in the cord. says right in the owners manual.

fwiw, the oil pan heater was $100 option on my car
    Blue Angel likes this.

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 33,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 340,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 290,000 km

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post
    diesel oil pan heater DOES NOT have thermostat in the cord. says right in the owners manual.

LOL, so it does. I guess I never bothered looking it up in the book as my car doesn't have the option. I'm not surprised it was a cheap option but the list price is a fortune. When the part numbers become available on gmpartsdirect maybe it won't be as bad.
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel, Crystal Red

Touring Champion

Quote Originally Posted by boraz View Post

Thanks for clearing that up! The thermostat is a serious flaw in the gas car's heater. The option was only $60 on my car so I can't complain too much I guess, but it certainly could have been a lot better.
    '12 ECO MT

Touring Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jorday View Post
    Sounds like there are two parts needed from GM; the heater itself and the cord. Each part has a GM list price of over $200.
    WOW... if it comes to that I'm sure you could rig up a superior solution using stick-on heater pads for FAR less money. These are available in lots of different sizes and power ratings:

Amazon.com: Kat's 24250 250 Watt 4"x 5" Universal Hot Pad Heater: Automotive

If the actual GM heater element looks like a good idea, a generic cord may fit:

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-28216-6-R...t's+heater

The plug on the end of that cord looks like it would plug right into the oil pan heater on the gas car:

202.jpg

205.jpg
    Last edited by Blue Angel; 11-26-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    '12 ECO MT

1st Gear
    My car has the oil pan heater and with the weather in Michigan I doubt I will ever use it. My truck on the other hand does not like the cold too much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    14 Cruze Diesel
    02 Chevy Duramax

Handbrake Released
    Any chance of you getting a couple of pics of the heater?
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel, Crystal Red

Quote Originally Posted by hduplease View Post
    just a warning to all, just talked to chevy customer service and they said the only way they could figure out how to run it is a customer must open the hood every time they want to plug it in, if you park it outside you must clean off your hood first, then open the hood, and unplug it, not very customer friendly and had i known this i wouldnt have wasted my money on it guess this is why gm pays these engineers so much, so they can make it a challenge to you in a snow storm, should stick their as..s up here in the storm and see how they like it
    i just leave it like this....

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 33,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 340,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 290,000 km

Driver's Ed
    So I've had my cruze diesel since July an so far all has been good (1st diesel by the way). Now that the weather is getting colder (Maryland) I've been using the remote start in the mornings. Problem is that my mpg's drop to about 28 compared to almost 42 during the summer. Does Idiling kill the mpg that much, would the oil pan heater help with this? 28 mpg's just ain't enough.

1st Gear
    Idling kills the mileage that bad.. Our cars have an auxiliary electric heater that gives warm air after about 3 minutes.. Takes my car about 12 minutes of driving to get up to operating temp so the electric heater is great.. My mileage is real bad until she heats up

1st Gear
    I only use the remote start on the diesel for defrosting, it doesn't really heat the car even with the electric heat.

The one thing I can't figure out though is how to extend the remote start another 10 minutes. Every time I try to do what the book says it just shuts off. I got it to work once, but no such luck since.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast