Oil pan heater...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Oil pan heater...

Oil pan heater...

Hi everyone, I looked today how I'll plug the oil pan this winter, found that the only way to let the hood closed while it's plugged is to squeeze the extension cord beetween the body and hood. Mine will sleep in heated garage for the cold coming days but sometimes I'd like to leave it outside. I know that on VW's the plug is located in the front bumper so it's very easy to plug. Maybe on the 2015's we'll see a bumper plug and DEF level?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Ok I'll try the walmart stuff, why there's an oil heater if we dont need it? I live north and canadian winters are windy and cold,what's the lowest temps you tried to start it up?

Also explain me why diesel powered generators that are in heated rooms are always plugged so the oil is always at operating temps...imo is to prevent premature wear and to keep the engines ready to start and the keep the oil at is most effective running temps.

How you know I'm a power engineer I work with diesel engines for 16 years so I can say that I know diesel engines too, here is getting 35 below 0 that's why I'm asking. If you don't want to answer just leave the post and someone else will be enough kind to do so instead of writing that you're the king of diesels.

Cool cheers

Driver's Ed
    I'm in Minnesota and sure as **** will be plugging it in when it sits outside below 0F overnight. Even gas cars have a tough time starting when cold soaked below about -20F. I see colder than that numerous times per winter.

If the guy wants it plugged in, what's the big deal?
    Last edited by E365; 09-14-2013 at 04:12 AM.

The onstar remote app will be handy for sure... Get that car nice and warm before you get in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel
    Mods: dipped bowties, Splash guards, K&N drop in, intake resonator bypass, tires inflated to 46 PSI, De-badged
    Future mods: Window tint, HID headlights, Fog lights, paint calipers, underbody lights, footwell lights, CAI, trifecta tune

Ah, I see what is going on. Diesel has the same active shutters we have in the grille so a cord zip tied there is out of the question.
    spacedout and bigluke like this.

2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

3rd Gear
    I'm kind of getting tired of this GotDiesel? guy bossing people around and then when we don't immediately agree with what he's saying, or ask pointed "why" questions, he just throws out he was a VW technician and knows what he's talking about. Engineers are not techs. So what is it?

Back on topic,

BigLuke, I think it's a great question. I myself have a good bit experience with diesel generators myself as well. I opted to not get the oil pan heater in my location. I do not think it's absolutely necessary to get these engines to start in even some of the coldest days but it sure as **** will help them start sooner, easier. Like mentioned before, why put extra wear on everything else including your battery/starter cranking and cranking if you don't have to? They in fact do make them for a reason, even though I'm not a VW tech/engineer I can see this. If there's a place you might want to use one, Quebec might just be it
    jblackburn and bigluke like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KpaxFAQ View Post
    I'm kind of getting tired of this GotDiesel? guy bossing people around and then when we don't immediately agree with what he's saying, or ask pointed "why" questions, he just throws out he was a VW technician and knows what he's talking about. Engineers are not techs. So what is it?

Back on topic,

BigLuke, I think it's a great question. I myself have a good bit experience with diesel generators myself as well. I opted to not get the oil pan heater in my location. I do not think it's absolutely necessary to get these engines to start in even some of the coldest days but it sure as **** will help them start sooner, easier. Like mentioned before, why put extra wear on everything else including your battery/starter cranking and cranking if you don't have to? They in fact do make them for a reason, even though I'm not a VW tech/engineer I can see this. If there's a place you might want to use one, Quebec might just be it
    Thanks, I agree with you. I understand all the gelling with diesel fuels back in time we were heating bunker fuel before throwing in a power plant boiler and done enough chemistry for that. My question was only on heating the oil in cold start to reduce stress on engine and were to pass the power cord of the oil pan heater to be able to close the hood so the snow is not getting in.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast