Cruze Rated 5th in a 5 Car Comparo By Motor Trend
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cruze Rated 5th in a 5 Car Comparo By Motor Trend

1st Gear

Cruze Rated 5th in a 5 Car Comparo By Motor Trend

I can't believe no one's talking about the Motor Trend comparison between the Cruze TD, Honda Civic Hybrid, Toyota Prius, Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid and the Volkswagen Jetta TDI. After all the blah, blah, blah...they rated the Cruze last because of it's lack of interior space. The winner was the Jetta TDI because of it's pricing (they tested it with no options at $23K compared to the Cruze at base price). Also intimated that the VW was better on fuel mileage and faster in acceleration. They mentioned that the Cruze exceded the EPA rating, but didn't say by how much...I wonder why?

Also, gave no credit for the Cruze's 100K mile drivetrain warranty or upgraded interior (leather vs vinyl) or far superior brakes.

Chevy and maybe all of GM rarely get good ratings on comparisons by Motor Trend. They also hit the Cruze hard on it's depreciation rating...duh, it's only been out for a few months, how can they rate it on depreciation...I bet there aren't ten used TD Cruzes on car lots nation wide...lol.

Anyway, read the biased article in the December Motor Trend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I read it and looked over the numbers. I also found it odd they tested a manual jetta tdi despite every other car being auto or cvt. The cruze is dinged for a small back seat which is true, but ive sat in a new model jetta and the base models are worlds behind in content and feel. While the jetta may drive nicely I found the cruze just as confident and quiet. I havent driven a TD cruze yet and can imagine the extra weight of the diesel over the nose may affect handling balance some but the cruze is still one of the most solid and stable platforms in the compact market.

Administrator

When MotorTrend did their comparison of 40 MPG cars, the Cruze ECO MT was the clear winner for fuel economy, even beating out the Jetta TDI, but it didn't "win" the comparison. MotorTrend's editors and reviewers have a definite bias towards foreign cars.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    MotorTrend's editors and reviewers have a definite bias towards foreign cars.
    Yeah, but those MT editors & reviewers are getting PAID for their 'technically (biased) opinions' whereas you & I aren't (wink,wink)!
    obermd and Merc6 like this.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Sydney, Australia, Suburb called Lalor Park.
    When was the last time a motor writer had to buy a new car? It is amazing the difference it makes to the view one gets of a new car when it is your own money paying for it. I wanted a new VF Commodore when I bought my Cruze only the price difference was more than I wanted to pay. Having previously owned a V6 Commodore I wasn't really interested in either 4 cylinder cars from the Cruze range and then I saw the torque figures of the TD and ordered one without even taking it for a test drive as the only one they had was being detailed in a holding yard somewhere. That has been the best decision I could have made as now 15 months later I still really enjoy driving it. I would still prefer a Commodore but not by much RWD being the biggest attraction for me.

2012 Holden Cruze CDX Diesel, Nitrate Silver,
    Tinted windows. Built July 2012, MY13 model.

Resident Tater Salad
    The Jettas have nice driving dynamics but that's all I can really say about them. The interior looks like an old Civic - cheap plastic abounds. The TDI and a MT is a fantastic combination - I drove a Golf with one and loved everything about the car but the price.

I can't believe the Prius placed above anything. Those cars are abysmal to drive and make even a Corolla look nice on the inside.

The Cruzes rear seat is small, but the interior and driving dynamics are great. That's why I bought one. There are times I wish there was more passenger room though. And the diesel has so much torque on tap compared to anything else there, even the TDI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Drag Racing Champion

Usually you can tell how a 'comparo' will end by looking at who purchassed the most pages of advertising over the year.

Dynamics and overall useability and operating costs without loading resale into the equasion are all I pay attention to.
    Resale is meaningless.....never purchassed a car using selling it back as a purchass criteria......what has that to do with enjoyment of operation?

Use the articles to get a feel for what you may want to see in your driveway every morning.

Rob

Yeah VW price and I was afraid of electrical gremlins. I drove the eurospec diesel and fell in love with it after I got used to shifting gears with my left hand. Most the issues I seen across the board was back seat space(volt isn't any better) and brake feel.

2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

1st Gear
    I feel bad for people that believe everything these magazines say and buy solely based on their opinion. I drove a SEL Passat awhile back when I was interested in buying a new car. The time came to actually buy one and I drove a Cruze TD. The interior is so much nicer in the Cruze and feels so much more comfortable. The interface of the German cars is not something I like or would ever like. Like I have told everyone thinking about getting a new car, DRIVE EVERYTHING. Just because Joe Blow over there did not like the car does not mean you won't. YOU are spending the money, get what YOU want.
    obermd and Merc6 like this.
    14 Cruze Diesel
    02 Chevy Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMan33 View Post
    YOU are spending the money, get what YOU want.
    Buying CARS is a lot like buying HAMBURGERS...always get'em "...YOUR WAY..." (wink,wink)!
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 11-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast