Fast Heat - Electric?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Fast Heat - Electric?

5th Gear

Fast Heat - Electric?

So, I paid attention this morning. It was about 40 degrees out and I had very noticable heat after about 2-3 minutes of idling and easy driving. I remember somebody saying something about an electric heater. I have to say there's got to be something there, because this was WAY before the temp gauge moved at all.
    MD5335 likes this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 56K (Domenic), 1990 Buick LeSabre 121K (Bob), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed (odo broken)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I'm going to have to take notice the next time it's pretty cold outside. I read that somwhere early in my Cruze experience and meant to research that more thoroughly. I'm going to watch this thread for an answer from the experts.

Learning about my Cruze
    If you turn your Heater Control to Max (full rotation) you will get instant heat via the help of the electric auxiliary heater.

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiglx View Post
    If you turn your Heater Control to Max (full rotation) you will get instant heat via the help of the electric auxiliary heater.

...and that diesel only feature should be added to all cruzes! Like if you agree.
    Merc6 and ParisTNDude like this.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by vwgtiglx View Post
    Yep - like VW TDIs, the Cruze Diesel uses an aux. electric heater until the engine reaches operating temp.

Diesel engines tend to warm up very slowly since they generate less waste heat than gasoline engines.

I really wish the 1.4T models had this - the small engines warm up extremely slowly in cold temps.
    spacedout and Merc6 like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Yep - like VW TDIs, the Cruze Diesel uses an aux. electric heater until the engine reaches operating temp.

Diesel engines tend to warm up very slowly since they generate less waste heat than gasoline engines.

I really wish the 1.4T models had this - the small engines warm up extremely slowly in cold temps.
    I put about 15 miles on the car by the time I get comfort heating and maybe 6 before windows start to defrost better.

2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)
    2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

5th Gear
    Does anybody know where this heater is and how many watts/what type it is?
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 56K (Domenic), 1990 Buick LeSabre 121K (Bob), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed (odo broken)

Resident Tater Salad
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc6 View Post
    I put about 15 miles on the car by the time I get comfort heating and maybe 6 before windows start to defrost better.
    Solution: don't run the heater until the gauge reaches the 1/4 mark.The [1.4] Cruze will warm up within 5 minutes in cold weather if the heater is kept off and you're not idling at stoplights, just driving the car. Then, keep the fan speed on 2-3 instead of full blast.At that point, it will be able to maintain 160F or greater in the engine coolant, and you'll get nice and warm in a few minutes. Running the heater before it's warmed up just saps away all the heat.
    Last edited by jblackburn; 11-05-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    spacedout likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Oh that is why the charge 28000.00 $$ for one .
    spacedout likes this.
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . There is a 70% chance that you wil have to breath Dex-Cool !!!!!!!

Rocket Science .

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    Does anybody know where this heater is and how many watts/what type it is?
    Maybe we'll all find out if someone here buys the Helm Service Manual on the 2014 Cruze Diesel due to come out this week.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast