Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Diesel Stock Exhaust

42K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  MRO1791 
#1 ·
One of the steps I usually take in all my cars is a trip to Performance Muffler in Phoenix, where we torch out any resonators, and sometimes a muffler or two. The Cruze TD is just too quiet, so I was hoping to get some volume out of the exhaust system.

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Exhaust manifold Fuel line

This is the downpipe

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Suspension Vehicle

Looking from the downpipe towards the rear, we see the DEF injector?

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Car

Looking from the rear of the car forward.

Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Bumper Carbon

A couple of sensors near the back axle

Auto part Automotive exhaust Muffler Exhaust system Vehicle
Auto part Metal Muffler

Now, here is where it get's interesting. The shop and I both thought this could be a resonator. After all, Diesel's don't need a catalytic converter!

WRONG! This is the Diesel particle filter. Grrrr. Welded it back up and called it a day.

The short and straight of it is that our exhaust has no mufflers/resonators. It is 2 1/4" before the particle filter, and 2 1/2" after.

I guess it all wasn't bad, I did have them put on an exhaust tip. :D

Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exhaust Vehicle Exhaust system

See less See more
#2 ·
That isn't the DPF. Its the SCR. (Selective Catalyst Reduction) unit. I always wanted to know what the inside looked like though. Any way. The DPF is up front by the exhaust manifold. Either way don't go hacking things off without first hacking into your computer. You are on the fast track to limp mode.

#4 ·
Point taken. The SCR is what your DEF fluid gets injected through. there is a NOx (nitrogen oxide) sensor up by the exhaust manifold and one on the exhaust pipe behind the SCR. (the other sensor in your picture is a particulate matter sensor) anyway. The computer reads the NOx level before the SCR and after to make sure the levels are being lowered and it schedules DEF fluid accordingly. If you gut the SCR the levels wont change and the computer will think you are putting water in your DEF tank and start a 100 mile count down to 65 mph the 75 miles to 55 mph then limp mode. The computer would have to be opened up and re programed if you wanted to gut the exhaust. It would be pricey and illegal but you would probably get 55 mpg.

#6 ·
That's pretty cool! Thanks for the look at the exhaust system!

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

#8 ·
danny5

im with you i wish i could open it up a little bit more, but after warranty is over. katie bar the door
nice pics as well

#9 ·
Very interesting. Thanks for the pics and info

#12 ·
See attached:

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Automotive super charger part

I took these a while back ('cause I was interested too). You can unbolt the heat shield easily enough, but you would have to unplug (or unscrew) the exhaust sensor to remove the shield. I wasn't gonna get in to all that (yet).

Reactions: BradHerr
#22 ·
Good pics with sensor locations here

Reactions: MP81
#23 ·
I still utilize that thread often - usually to show friends of mine just how many sensors this car has.

Reactions: Rivergoer
#24 ·
This is an old thread, but I didn't see it mentioned so I'll chime in. If you want exhaust noise, you are going to have difficulty gettting it when a car has a Turbo. The nature of the Turbo is to capture energy from the exhaust stream and use it to compress intake air into the engine. In that process some energy, including energy that might be noise, is used up by the Turbo (It's mostly thermal energy, but that is not important to this discussion).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.