Diesel exhaust fluid quality low - Page 4
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Diesel exhaust fluid quality low

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorday View Post
    So if the "DEF quality low" indicator warning has nothing to do with DEF quality, then why did adding fresh DEF to my car get rid of the warning almost immediately? I had been driving down the expressway for probably over 20 miles when the warning came up. I stayed on the expressway for at least 15 miles and the light did not go out. Added fresh DEF, light went out in a few minutes. Your theory would seem to suggest that the light would not be expected to come on during the conditions it did with my car. Also, staying on the highway should have fixed it, which it did not. Finally, adding fresh DEF should not have immediately fixed the problem, which it did.
    It depends on the dilution of water. The DEF quality indicator is there to make sure people don't just fill that tank with straight water. If your water percentage is too high, that will go off.

Sent from mobile.
    Gator likes this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released revjpeterson's Avatar
    Someone has told me that DEF degrades with both heat and time. If the DEF was the original fill, ran through the whole summer, and was 6 months (or more, depending on when the car was built) old, could it be that the combination of time and heat did actually cause the DEF that was good in July to be of low quality by December?
    Last edited by revjpeterson; 12-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Handbrake Released
    It does have a shelf life supposedly.
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel, Crystal Red

Handbrake Released
    The DEF quality poor indication can of course be an indication of poor DEF quality but I would bet that it is not the case in your circumstance. I can't argue with your results though. I am just sharing my experiences with this issue. That's what these forums are for. People post, you decide. The dealers are not up to speed on this and they will just "carpet bomb" the issue with parts until it goes away. I want to know why. I hope your problem is solved. Please post it it ever comes back.

Handbrake Released
    Yeah, I'll definitely be posting up if I have any further issues. I'd definitely be curious to see what really happened, but how would you know for sure at this point? I really hate taking my stuff to the dealer unless I absolutely have to. Hve you noticed the NOx sensors seem to be prone to electrical problems as well as the buildup of deposits? I had some problems with my dmax truck going into limp mode due to corrosion in the wire connector for the rear NOx sensor. It didn't set a DEF poor warning, the truck just went directly into limp mode and wouldn't go over 55 mph. My buddies Dodge did the exact same and took several trips to the dealer before they finally just replaced the sensor which fixed it.
    2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel, Crystal Red

Handbrake Released
    True. We cant fix it if it ain't broke. I think we have to wait and see how it goes. If I get it again I plan to do some experiments with the sensors.
    KpaxFAQ likes this.

Learning about my Cruze
    Does anyone remember how much DEF was in your tank when you left the dealership? I have a new car and it shows 36% which I thought was weird.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M. View Post
    Meant to write> It has nothing to do with quality or quantity. Wrote quantity twice. Duh.
    You know you can edit your posts. If it weren't for that feature, most of my posts would be pretty ugly...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorday View Post
    So if the "DEF quality low" indicator warning has nothing to do with DEF quality, then why did adding fresh DEF to my car get rid of the warning almost immediately? I had been driving down the expressway for probably over 20 miles when the warning came up. I stayed on the expressway for at least 15 miles and the light did not go out. Added fresh DEF, light went out in a few minutes. Your theory would seem to suggest that the light would not be expected to come on during the conditions it did with my car. Also, staying on the highway should have fixed it, which it did not. Finally, adding fresh DEF should not have immediately fixed the problem, which it did.
    I think your logic here is sound. The "cleaning the exhaust at 70 mph" trick seems to me a totally different problem than your's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    DEF fluid is 66% water 33% fertilizer. There is nothing to go bad as far as the fluid goes.
    I heard someone say it was part water and part cow urine....not fertilizer, but as someone said earlier, "I'm not a chemist" to which I'm going to add, "I'm not a farmer either!" LOL Here's a quote from the Air 1 web site:

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Production

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is made from a high purity urea solution. Urea is produced synthetically from ammonia and carbon dioxide (CO2). Urea is found in every day US products such as hair conditioner, cosmetics, adhesives.

Here's what natural urea is:
    urea
    yo͝oˈrēə/
    noun Biochemistry

noun: urea

a colorless crystalline compound that is the main nitrogenous breakdown product of protein metabolism in mammals and is excreted in urine.

Refilling the DEF fluid is part of the free 24 month maintenance provided by the dealership...are some of you not taking advantage of that?

Don't know if this helps the debate or not???
    Last edited by ParisTNDude; 01-10-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Handbrake Released revjpeterson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
    Does anyone remember how much DEF was in your tank when you left the dealership? I have a new car and it shows 36% which I thought was weird.
    Mine was full, since the dealer topped it off at delivery. My indicator went from "OK" to "35%" just before my first regular service around 6800 miles.
    gyrfalcon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrfalcon View Post
    Interesting, mine showed the same thing (I think 35%) when I took delivery of the car. I questioned the sales person, "did they forget to fill the tank?" He responded, "No, that percentage increases as you drive." I just smiled and nodded my head. Even my wife on the way home said, "Wow, GM has engineered a system where fluid is manufactured as you drive, they really are finding new roads..." It was a good laugh at the time. ANYWAY, the next day the message said the standard "Level OK." So either it really is full and just needed to reset itself... or it has 35% or <. Either way, I'm not worried about it.
    Thanks for the post, I find it intriguing that my initial observation wasn't unique.
    Last edited by Tdi'r; 01-10-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    diesel, KpaxFAQ and gyrfalcon like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast