Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel exhaust fluid quality low

44K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Tdi'r 
#1 ·
Last night I experienced the dreaded DEF quality low warning light as well as the DIC warning message 99 miles until speed limited to 65 mph. You can't even clear the message on the DIC to look at your other stuff which is a little bit annoying. I have never added any DEF to the car since I bought it in July. It's got over 7500 miles now so I figured that the DEF tank was probably fairly low and who knows when it was filled up originally. The tank holds something like 4.5 gallons which is supposed to last around 10,000 miles, so I figured that it was a fairly safe bet that an entire 2.5 gallon jug would fit. Nope. It almost all fit, though. I'm surprised that in 7500 miles that's all it used. I also got a check engine light shortly after the DEF light came on, but not at the same time. A few miles after filling the DEF quality poor light went out, and a few startups later the check engine light turned off as well. So hopefully a trip to the dealer won't be needed. If I had known how much was still in there I would have drained the tank before refilling, but now I'll just see what happens.

#34 ·
The DEF quality poor indication can of course be an indication of poor DEF quality but I would bet that it is not the case in your circumstance. I can't argue with your results though. I am just sharing my experiences with this issue. That's what these forums are for. People post, you decide. The dealers are not up to speed on this and they will just "carpet bomb" the issue with parts until it goes away. I want to know why. I hope your problem is solved. Please post it it ever comes back.

#35 ·
Yeah, I'll definitely be posting up if I have any further issues. I'd definitely be curious to see what really happened, but how would you know for sure at this point? I really hate taking my stuff to the dealer unless I absolutely have to. Hve you noticed the NOx sensors seem to be prone to electrical problems as well as the buildup of deposits? I had some problems with my dmax truck going into limp mode due to corrosion in the wire connector for the rear NOx sensor. It didn't set a DEF poor warning, the truck just went directly into limp mode and wouldn't go over 55 mph. My buddies Dodge did the exact same and took several trips to the dealer before they finally just replaced the sensor which fixed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.