Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Eco versus TD death match

9K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Garandman 
#1 ·
We purchased a Cruze TD in December, and a second a few months later. These cars are used by our 3D printer technician staff and have proved very popular.

For the third car we needed, we elected to go with a Cruze Eco that is equipped almost identically to the TD's. It has an automatic (though different), and cloth seat inserts, but the same GPS, backup camera options, etc.

We are planning to rotate the cars o that their use is normalized. They will be driven 25-40,000 miles per year so by the end of 2014 we should have some great operating cost data.

The Cruze Eco is thousands of dollars cheaper (trim is not the same), and a few hundred pounds lighter. The TD's should deliver better MPG but diesel costs more than regular gas.

What we won't learn soon is whether our theory that diesels with very high mileage retain more value than gas engine cars is true. We expect to keep all these vehicles for 150,000 to 200,000 miles.

Stay tuned!

#3 ·
Sure the 1LT will save more money but depends on the speeds driven on the hwy if the ECO aerodynamic mods will have any effect. Since the EPA average highway speed is only 48mph, I doubt the true benefit of those mods is shown in its 1MPG improvement over the 1LT.

At 65mph or more that ECO auto probably would best the 1LT by a much larger number than that 1MPG EPA claim.

#6 ·
It all depends on how you drive em. Mpg ratings are only as good as the person behind the wheel. Going from the ECO diesel to ECO gas may have you flooring the ECO gas more. Are we 87 octane in the ECO auto? In theory the diesel will hold value more due to the amount sold.

Sent from my iFail 5s

#7 ·
with a Cruze Eco that is equipped almost identically to the TD's. It has an automatic (though different), and cloth seat inserts, but the same GPS, backup camera options, etc.

The Cruze Eco is thousands of dollars cheaper (trim is not the same), and a few hundred pounds lighter.
TD has Z-link rear suspension, rear disc brakes and much more sound deadener than the eco as well.

I have no doubt that both engines will make the 200k mark.
What will be interesting is how the emission components hold up on the TD and which engine has the longer lasting water pump. :grin:

#10 ·
At 65mph or more that ECO auto probably would best the 1LT by a much larger number than that 1MPG EPA claim.
Probably 75-80. The 1LT MT isn't trailing the Eco by a whole lot at 65 MPH, but the gap definitely widens as the 1LT gets near 3000 RPM at 80.

Water pump in the diesel is supposed to be replaced at 90k miles along with timing chain.
Timing belt.

And the 1.4 will destroy the water pump well before 90K :).

#14 ·
FWIW Edmunds.com gives a five year true cost of ownership based on 15,000 miles per year over five years. The Cruze Eco we bought has a total cost of $37,146. That includes $9,148 for fuel. The CTD costs $41,559 and fuel $9,711. The VW Jetta deluxe is $42,821. Our numbers are better in that we paid about $2,000 less than their "cash price."

We expect that a Cruze Diesel with 200,000 miles on it will have better resale or longer remaining life than a 1.4 turbo car. I'll let you know in 2020!

#16 ·
How much value do you think you might get on a 6-7 year old car with 200,000+ miles? I would doubt that the difference between the two (if still running) will be more than a few hundred bucks.
I will more interested in knowing how much was spent replacing wear and tear items during that period.

#27 ·
Just put the Eco on the road this week. Diesel #1 has 18,000 miles, diesel #2 has 12,000.
Obviously I don't agree or we wouldn't bother.

Edmunds private sale value of our 2005 Honda Accord V6 with 208,000 miles is $3,443.

We haven't found four cylinder cars to hold up to those kind of miles: that's why we bought the diesels. A 4 cyl Outback is pretty beat at 150,000 miles. My H6 Outback runs like a turbine and uses zero oil with 166,000 on it. We have two Honda Accord V6's that both run perfectly and the "new" one has 178,000.

Anyone else getting private messages from Amsoil dealers?

#17 ·
If your keeping a car for 200,000 + miles then you shouldn't care about resale value, you should start picking what dump is willing to get it lol......Im driving mine straight in the ground.

#20 ·
I can't imagine a company car with a manual since many women and men can't drive a stick. Automatics are more reliable when many different people drive them. It took the Air Force about 10 years to realize that but now there are no standard shift cars in the AF inventory.

Sounds like a very good long term comparison. I would bet your employees will prefer driving the CTD.

I'm going to suggest that it's probably time we change the term "standard shift" to apply to automatic transmissioned cars since they represent the "standard" for today...lol.

#21 ·
A good friend of mine has a Cruze Eco MT, which is actually what got me interested in the Cruze in the first place. I was astounded to learn that there was a diesel version, and it's hands down a better powertrain - there is power EVERYWHERE in the rev range. I think maybe if I had driven one without the Eco's ratios, I might have liked the 1.4T a little more.

That said, the diesel's shift patterns are a little wonky at times (I just find myself wondering "now, why did it go and do THAT?"), and the lag when flooring it from a stop, as if to dart out into traffic, with the automatic is a bit annoying.

Fuel economy is a wash - the diesel gets about 4 MPG better on the highway, but 2-3 MPG less in town based on my time with his car.

Both are excellent products for a Chevrolet small car - WORLDS ahead of the Grand Am I once owned, and my wife's old Buick.

#22 ·
That said, the diesel's shift patterns are a little wonky at times (I just find myself wondering "now, why did it go and do THAT?"), and the lag when flooring it from a stop, as if to dart out into traffic, with the automatic is a bit annoying.

Fuel economy is a wash - the diesel gets about 4 MPG better on the highway, but 2-3 MPG less in town based on my time with his car.

Both are excellent products for a Chevrolet small car - WORLDS ahead of the Grand Am I once owned, and my wife's old Buick.
There is your problem, just ease on the gas until the turbo spools up and you will get a clean start. Flooring it off the line is the slowest way to get a brisk start, I know I have owned one for 2 years.

#24 ·
You need about 6 - 10K on the clock before it gives it's best and by then you have learned how to drive it as well. Believe me it will grow on you and you will find yorself driving with a smile on your face.

#39 ·
A question for those anti carrying a spare, would you rather wait for assistance and get towed (I have had a car damaged by a tow truck) or be on your way again in 5 minutes?

Reactions: obermd
#41 ·
Thus my spare in my ECO MT. I recently had to use it - first time I've ever needed a spare tire.

#40 · (Edited)
In my area where's it's freezing half the year and full of dangerous highways and people texting on their phones, I'd rather sit in my warm car and wait till the tow-truck arrives rather then stand next to traffic for any amount of time.

Then again I've never had a fully flat tire in 15 years of driving hundreds of thousands of Miles. Plenty of slow leaks from running over a nail or something but a mini air compressor in the trunk fills her up to limp it over to the tire place or home to put the patch on myself.

#42 ·
For the cost of a spare tire one could just drive slowly(under 10mph) on the damaged tire. Even if you ended up damaging the rim you could just use that money you saved not buying a spare to get a new rim & tire.

I know someone who drive 30 miles on a flat like that and it did not damage the tire or rim!

#43 ·
Sorry - that's horrible advice. You'd be a rolling roadblock on just about any road and potentially be hit by a driver not paying attention.

The inflator kit and slime can at least get you to safety if you don't have a spare. A real spare is worlds better.

Alloy rims and a ruined tire that may have been able to be patched in the first place aren't super cheap either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.