Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Rattle sound - Any high mileage diesel owners have this?

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  money_man 
#1 ·
I've been noticing a rattle sound under the hood when I start in the AM. I can also make it rattle by holding 1000-1200 RPM. Haven't poked my head under the hood yet. It's been doing it for a while now. I am at 182K miles. Sounds like a heat shield or something. Anybody else? It doesn't sound like anything serious which is why I'm dragging my feet.

#2 ·
Is it tinny ringing, or more like something hard hitting something else (clicking-ish noise)?

Reactions: Tomko
#4 ·
A heat shield is a piece of safety equipment.

As an electrician, I would hope that you would replace a piece of safety equipment and not simply cast it aside.

#5 ·
How do you replace a heat shield when it's so rotten around the bolts that it's falling off and the bolts are so rusted in that you'll break them before you ever get them out? Guess they could be ordered through the dealership but I don't know how they'd be fastened. The heat shield by the turbo would be fine but anything under the car would be impossible to replace. I'll get some pictures of vehicles where I live and show you what I'm talking about.

#7 ·
Go to the dealer. And insist that it be replaced.

Would you hook up a duplex receptacle and not connect the ground because it was hard to reach?

Do you think that there is a piece of safety equipment on any car that can be cast away?

Do you think GM would have put that heat shield on there because it really wasn't needed?

Do you think that there is any part on a car that cannot be repaired or replaced?

I hope these are rhetorical questions because you answered no to everyone.

#8 ·
You could argue a rusted heat shield falls under the 100,000 mile corrosion warranty.

#10 ·
a heat shield is a piece of safety equipment.

As an electrician, i would hope that you would replace a piece of safety equipment and not simply cast it aside.
i plan on swapping mine with a turbo blanket. It will keep more heat in the turbo and off oil lines, wires, exc...

#15 ·
#16 ·
Almost sounds like a bad bearing in the accessory drive somewhere.

#17 ·
It only happens at a 1000-1200 RPM. Slower or higher than that it's silent. It's apparently set up by a certain vibration frequency. I'll eventually get under there and poke around. I was mainly curious if any other diesel owners have ever heard this. Once I find out, I will report back, but it's not a really high priority. It's been doing it for a few weeks. I will probably investigate when I do the next oil change.

#19 ·
Hmm, I probably ought to look sooner rather than later then. Pulleys are important! :)

#22 ·
Nope. It really sounds like a heat shield or something. It's been doing that for thousands of miles so i am not too worried about it. I will poke around under there when I change my oil next time.

#25 ·
I would guesstimate mine started doing it in the 170K mile range, give or take.

You could pull the belt off and start it up. Then see if it stops making that noise.
I may have to go that route if I don't find anything loose. About 6 weeks or so from now I will be under there changing the oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.