Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Diesel vs LTZ

Tags
diesel ltz
8K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  diesel 
#1 ·
Was talking to my wife about this the other day (she brought it up), and I couldn't remember if there was ever a thread with a straight answer.

The Diesel was supposed to be the range-topping trim level, correct? So...why did the LTZ get certain features the Diesel did not? Most importantly - push-button start...

Anybody have any ideas/insight/insider info?

#2 ·
I was reading here they took a 2lt and shoved the diesel into it. the ltz still remained king but i think gm marketed it wrong and will hurt diesel value. they should have had the ltz next to the diesel vs under it. from a consumer and bean counter aspect imagine paying the big premium of diesel and still adding ltz stuff into it... gm to make $ would have to sell it higher then the ltz so less would buy it or would create internal competition... my thoughts

Reactions: obermd
#3 ·
I agree. LTZ and Diesel should have been equals. The fact we have the most expensive Cruze made, and it doesn't have a push-button to start the car, yet a less expensive model did, is always an annoyance - especially after we had that '16 Malibu for a few days.

And in all reality - not offering the diesel as an engine option on any trim level was a mistake, as well. I know plenty of people who would have bought one if they didn't have to pay extra for **** they didn't want (leather, etc).

#4 ·
agreed. i would have been more then happy for a diesel with a manual and just a base trim. i don't need leather i don't need bigger rims, i don't need certain things but Chevy wont they are to package happy to listen to customers. huge mistake was not offering a manual. would have saved me 800$ and made me the consumer much happier

Reactions: Merc6
#10 ·
huge mistake was not offering a manual.
I have to wonder if not offering a manual was due to EPA regulations. Lugging a diesel could the car to fail emissions standards. I believe utility vehicles fall under a different catagory that's not as strict. Since the manumatic mode in the automatic will still auto downshift, that's not an issue.

#5 ·
The CTD is a 2LT with a Diesel powertrain. There are a few feature comforts in the LTZ that the 2LT doesn't have. The trim levels are

LTZ (2011-2016 Limited)
CTD (2014-2015)
2LT (2011-2016 Limited)
ECO (2011-2016 Limited)
1LT (2011-2016 Limited)
LS (2011-2016 Limited)
L (2016 Limited only)

The L, LS, 1LT, and ECO all have a manual option for their full production periods. The 2LT has a manual option for 2011-2014.

#7 ·
I somewhat remember hearing it was a 2LT now that it is mentioned.

That said - push-button start was optional on a 2LT.

#35 ·
I prefer a key ignition over the push button start anyhow... I don't at all understand how it became a standard luxury item in cars to begin with? Who was ever buying a car and said "I love everything about the car but that annoyance of having to twist my wrist and turn the key to start the car is a deal breaker, I won't buy this car without a push button!"????? The transponder key remotes are expensive and easily lost. In most cases you can start and drive off with the keys on the roof or something like that and then you are screwed!!! We had this happen in the Nevada Desert outside Las Vegas after a SEMA photo shoot and the Lexus show car had to be left parked overnight in an In-N-Out parking lot then towed to the dealer and it took a week to get a working key for it.

I can't say I would not buy a car with push button start, but I can honestly say I do not like the tech, and wish it would go away!!! I think it is a VERY Unnecessary added expense on vehicles that have it and eventually it will cost you even more in the long run...

#8 ·
A LTZ (MSRP) Diesel would have been way too expensive for a Cruze with some of the added tech functionality. They have done the options packages quite a bit differently on the new one.

If their marketing department is smart, however, hopefully the next gen will come with the 1.6 diesel in 2 trim levels (LT and Premier). They have mentioned that it will come as a manual, so the LT is already spoken for I suppose.

#9 ·
It will be more interesting how they do the Gen 2 CTD. Gen 1 CTD is over and horse already out of the barn. I would like to see the Gen 2 have a broader appeal and can get in cloth, manual etc. The diesel engine and the emissions required to build it sort of put it in a higher price to begin with. I would still think it will be a low production car unless fuel prices spike. The general public is buying more trucks and suvs which they probably prefer rather than a car that gets 50 mpg or more.

#11 ·
What I recall is that since it was essentially a market test, they started off with what would be the most popular option if both were offered.

#13 ·
The diesel was a mix of 2LT and Eco packages. The car was designed to be comfortable, not too expensive, and fuel efficient. Thats why we have leather, no push button/passive entry, and active shutters with Fuel Max tires. I think they nailed it, although I would have liked passive entry.
They did a good job i think but more options would have been nice. i would have paid extra for a RS rear bumper (front im ok with) but besides point. i would have liked the option of push button start and automatic climate control

#18 ·
I didn't mind that I had to get the extra stuff om my diesel, ad i was mainly interested in the engine. I bought one with no additional options.

If they are going after VW, they need to have the diesel available on all trim levels, save maybe the L ans LS. That should put prices in line with what VW had on the Jetta. Jetta sales were at least 15% diesel. We will see if GM can duplicate that. it would mostly be a sales windfall.

#20 ·
I think it was just on trim levels that had the Z-link?

#22 ·
I don't think the RS added Z-link - it was appearance only. It'd only have Z-link because the trim level had it already.

#23 ·
What is Z-link?

#24 ·
The watts link in the rear suspension.

#31 ·
Actually, it's less complicated than a keyed ignition module - and easier to package.

#34 ·
Oh yes, all CTD has a button to start - Use your remote key. Oh dang, I still have to put key inside ign to start driving. Ha.

Reactions: diesel
#39 ·
There have been well publicized cases where people have failed to turn their car OFF with the push button and later died from CO piosoning in their homes. In fact Chicago just gas one a few months back. Why is it so hard to turn a key???

Reactions: Chris Tobin
#41 ·
GM recalled the Chevy Volt a year+ ago to solve this issue, if your car sits not moving but on for more than 90 minutes it turns itself off. This is really only a problem if you can't hear the engine or read the gauges to see the engine is still on. In the case of the volt the gas motor could start to charge the battery if left on once the battery was low(even days later), so the 90 minute thing should solve the problem.

Reality is though if you are driving and not making sure your car is actually off when you park it inside its your own **** fault if you die from the exhaust gasses. Isn't this how evolution works? Only the smart survive.

I also think in a few years push button start will be standard on all cars, eliminates any user caused ignition issues, like using too heavy of keys(cobalt anyone?). I see 2017 GM added push button start to the Sonic LTZ as well as the 2LT 2016+ Spark. Sorry to say but all the expensive GM cars with keyed ignitions feel cheap when I can get push button start standard on entry level cars with other brands. So much more convenient and increases my safety when I walk to my car with an arm load of grocery's not to have to waste timing fumbling to dig out a key from my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.