Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

first day of Cruze diesel ownership, first CEL

6K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  diesel 
#1 ·
Bought a used '14 cruze TD yesterday. 27,xxx miles. Good shape. Drove it about 100 miles yesterday. Fired it up today and CEL is on. Called dealership to report issue (75 miles to that dealership). Took to local dealership. NOX#2 sensor needs to be replaced. Awesome. Glad it's covered under B2B warranty.

Have now read about a fuel trim software update and MULTIPLE sensor issues. Hope this wasn't a bad move.

#2 ·
There's been a few users on here that have had sensors replaced. I believe the one you mentioned is part of a recall and the new sensor is better equipped to handle its environment and the reprogram helps too. Once the sensor(s) is/are replaced then there shouldn't be any future problems from them. I personally haven't had any issues yet with mine. I'm at 32,000km.

#4 ·
Let me know what the ecm update number is or please post the repair invoice it could help some of us

#7 ·
Don't take it back because of a small issue that is being covered under warranty. Let them fix it and drive the **** out of it. Mine had that same sensor replaced and yeah it is aggravating but you'll be glad you kept it when you're getting 55mpg on the highway.

Worst case scenario. It goes out of warranty and you have another emissions system problem. Just get the emissions delete setup and do away with the entire emissions system and any of the headaches that come with it.

#15 ·
It goes out of warranty and you have another emissions system problem. Just get the emissions delete setup and do away with the entire emissions system and any of the headaches that come with it.
I don't think this is good advise. A delete costs minimum $1500, and causes the car to pollute more. I have total out of pocket under $500 in emissions related issues in 183K miles on mine. I would have to drive 600K+ miles to MAYBE get payback for a delete.

Reactions: Tomko
#13 ·
It is intended to be my daily commuter. 40 miles each way, 5 days per week. 90% of that is 2 lane highway. I agree with your assessment of gas vs diesel and is the reason I sought out a TD. I have an Outback with winter tires for snow days on un- or partially plowed roads (I'll leave at about 0530) and would anticipate mounting winter tires to the Cruze as well.

#24 ·
#29 ·
Dealer replaced position 2 NOx sensor and cleared codes "P11D7 and P11DC". Drove it 70 miles without incident. Need to go another 150 tomorrow so we'll see.

Set a new 25 mile "best score" for the car on Monday 58.8mpg. The car seems to continually calculate MPG in running 25 mile segments. Is that an accurate observation? My subaru resets it's calculation with each trip odometer reset--which is handy in that an entire tank of fuel MPG can be assessed in that way.

#34 ·
Well, I suppose I don't have too much room to talk since I also drive a 1984 Ford Tempo diesel. It came fully deleted from the factory. :)

Reactions: IndyDiesel
#35 ·
Plus an old Mercedes Diesel, I had a 95 Mercedes Diesel with 255k miles with no emissions stuff, bypassed the EGR valve as I recall and honestly it didn't smoke hardly at all, I never noticed it and that was a larger engine than we have in the CTD. I realize some of the pollution is not black smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.