Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Drop the DPF!

Tags
dpf drop
31K views 115 replies 24 participants last post by  oldestof11 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just wanted to join and share my experience with my 2014 Diesel Cruze so far.

Firstly with the amount of issues I see with DPF's in general the fact companies are allowed to release cars with these issues is insane.

I've had my car about 6 months now and only had one issue that drove me insane and caused just a shitty experience for me for a month!

So I went on a trip 8 hours from where I live and on the trip down I get the add DEF warning which I had just added some the week before wondering why the **** that would be on. So I continue to drive thinking it will go away. I then get to a gas station and buy DEF, about $40 dollars worth to fill the tank. The light doesn't go off so I assume the sensor hasn't read it yet, I continue driving to my destination thinking it will turn off, it never does. Turns out the heating element went out in the DPF causing this issue. I went to a dealer that charged me $0 to look and tell me that and that he doesn't have the part and it was on back order, this guy was the only good experience with Chevy I've had. So now I'm pissed because I'm in limp mode to I believe 65 MPH.

I had my brother drive 8 hours to tow this back to my house. Renting the trailer and such was probably about $150 and I paid him like $300 for being so kind to come down and do it.

So I get back into town and take it to my dealer and I explain to them I know whats wrong and they take a look and charge me like $110 or more dollars to tell me what I ******* told them. To make matters worse I thought it was covered under warranty so that's why I let them take a look, then they tell it's not covered and the DPF will cost $700 dollars. The lady called me and I literally told her $700 dollars is insane and I could do a delete and tune for $500 more dollars and never deal with it again. She said that would void my warranty, to which I replied "because that's doing so much for me now?"

So wanting to do it from the start I went with getting a tune and delete and it's literally the best thing I ever did. I spent more money then what it would cost for the DPF but I wasn't paying $700 dollars for a system Chevy can't get right for me to be penalized for.

I love my Diesel Cruze and plan to do a few more things to it and hope to post it here once I get the projects going, it's a great little car.

The thing I'm most disappointed in is Chevy, this is my first new car to me and I felt shafted by the company. Since I got the delete and tune I've had no issues and been rolling a little coal :D. If I get any car in the future, I won't be choosing Chevy again. It's unreal I would be charged for that element going out when I didn't cause it and that it wasn't covered under the power-train warranty.

TLDR: **** DPF, DELETE AND TUNE.

See less See more
#2 ·
how many miles on the car?

#3 ·
before i bought the car, i had planned to delete when stuff went bad.

i have 3yrs exp fixing this stuff on class trucks

so far in 3yrs/ 60000 miles ownership i have 1 emission issue (nox2 sensor) that doesnt impact anything so i havent fixed

i still fully plan to delete

you have to understand that service dept and gm in general aint allowed to offer/encourage deletes, theyre illegal after all.

i would speculate that the mods are encouraged to not promote this path as well, there is a corporate presence, not our personal blog(s)

#4 ·
I sometimes wonder if this dealer even properly diagnosed the problem? I don't blame you at all for doing the delete, I would way prefer to have a emission system work properly and be clean. Your experience is my concern about the car, be stranded hours from home and no parts available to fix and then the limp mode 8 hours from home.

How own difficult was the delete to do? Any weird gremlins with the delete? Hope you enjoy your car for many more miles.

#5 ·
If you are talking about your DEF heater element, I think others out of warranty have ordered the part online and replaced themselves fairly easily for a total of about $150 out of pocket. I don't think it's too much more than that at the dealer, if they don't try to replace the entire tank which seems like what yours wanted to do. I think your dealership (as with many other dealerships when it comes to our diesel Cruzes) sucks.

#7 ·
That's what I was going to do, until GM said they'd pay for it.

Still have it, unopened, too, haha.

#6 ·
Hi all,

I just wanted to join and share my experience with my 2014 Diesel Cruze so far.

I've had my car about 6 months now...

...this is my first new car to me...
What does this mean?

You bought a new 2014 model year car in the 2016 calendar year?

What does <new> mean to you?

#10 ·
Not to be too harsh, but that whole post seemed a little weird.

I also (in the somewhat distant past) been convinced that all "that emissions crap" was nothing but trouble for diesels. I've mostly reversed that position, although I do believe that EGR is, at best, a mixed bag for diesels. But, I'm totally down with the SCR and DPF technologies.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Post some pics/videos!

There are a lot of people on here that I believe would be interested in that delete kit but the information on it is EXTREMELY limited. There have been a few people that have done it, but as far as pictures of the parts, pictures of the install, or 0-60/driving videos, they're pretty much nonexistent.

#18 ·
The gas engine doesn't have DPF.

And yes, it is an emissions component - but only the cat and a select number of other components are covered for 80,000 miles. The rest are covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty of 24,000 miles, which is far too short.

#27 ·
I would agree with everyone get it modified and just turn it off.
Not "everyone". I have 187K miles on my fully stock diesel and am still about $1000 ahead of where I would be if I deleted. i am all for clean emissions, and many others feel the same way. That being said, I do want them to work properly!

Reactions: Tomko
#24 ·
From what I can read the part of being 8 hours from home wouldn't have been the biggest issue. There are dealers 8 hours from home that you could have went to. The part of it not being under warranty does suck, but it's tough to say why they wouldn't warranty it from the info given. I'm assuming your were out by mileage. If you bought it used it could have been from an owner that only took short trips or something of that type and never kept it clean. Buying the DPF delete is working for you and it's good you found something to take care of you even though it makes them terrible for emissions output. The problem would be if your state adds in emissions testing or if Fleece gets busted for it like others in the past have they will go after those who have purchased the part. \

#26 ·
And delete setups on diesels whether it's cars or trucks or whatever, is always done at your own risk. There is a chance you can get busted for it. That's why you need to keep all your stock stuff. But as far as busting the company that made the kit, if it is marketed as "off road only" meaning for track cars and stuff that isn't used on the roads, they're pretty safe.

#29 ·
You're the exception @diesel , not the rule. Just had a P0133 O2 sensor go bad, so it seems that the various and sundry sensors are a common problem for many of us.
dont know about all that... id actually like to see of CTD how many have had trouble free rides, how many had problems and of those what problems... to see a #'s %

Reactions: diesel
#31 ·
Good point, we should collect those numbers from those who own a 14-15 CTD and document the known issues with O2 or other sensors as well as DPF and SCR tank issues.

#37 ·
2014, EGT sensor, O2 sensor and DPF sensor, 35,500 miles. Scared $hitless to keep this car past the emission warranty. Good friend and father have CTD's as well with multiple sensor issues. Friend works at a Chevy dealership and all 4 CTD's they service have had emission issues. Maybe its a geographical thing but I think Chevy dropped the ball on this one. Hopefully Gen 2's will be reliable and we eventually will be covered by recalls.

#39 ·
You don't need the full tank for the heater. It's the reservoir that contains the heater.

We had our car back in three days when we had that replaced.

#42 ·
Don't be fooled. Those with deletes and tunes are getting check engine lights too - of a whole different nature than stock. Lean codes, rich codes, and on the list goes. There is no utopia.

#43 ·
Don't be fooled. Those with deletes and tunes are getting check engine lights too - of a whole different nature than stock. Lean codes, rich codes, and on the list goes. There is no utopia.
i figured they would have it all sorted by now. id be ok with a delete that keeps stock calibration

#48 ·
I just hope that after the VW debacle the Government will start Emission checking all Diesel Vehicles annually like they do the gas burners.

#49 ·
I disagree. We do not need more government involvement in anything. All that equals is more money coming out of our pockets.

Besides, in the VW situation, they would have passed an emissions test every time. They were basically programmed to lie whenever an emissions check was being done on the vehicle. Annual emissions checks would have solved nothing.

All that would do, is force people like us to maintain and keep functional an inherently flawed emissions system. Vs just deleting it and being done with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.