is Gm trans flud that bad - Page 3

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: is Gm trans flud that bad

Quote Originally Posted by pandrad61 View Post
    i mya have a tech look at it and see what he thinks but a early sample at 20k to see how it holds up wouldn't be bad, plus then i know its done with better fluid. im a very hard driver
    Sending a SMALL sample off for analysis would be smart, but a complete flush or even a drain and fill seems like flushing money down the toilet.

I suggest Merchant Automotive www.merchant-automotive.com and Apex Oil Lab direct for any automotive oil analysis. They are quick and reasonably priced and I have physically seen their facility and it is top notch for sure!!! Personal attention and analysis for a clean environment is a good thing!!!

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/...lysis-kit.aspx

https://www.merchant-automotive.com/...mp-with-tubing
    IndyDiesel likes this.
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    i mya have a tech look at it and see what he thinks but a early sample at 20k to see how it holds up wouldn't be bad, plus then i know its done with better fluid. im a very hard driver..either way back to my original question.. Is the fluid in the CTD really all that bad to have it break down before sever flush interval or would it make it?
    My two cents is the transmission is a good one but down shifts a bit different but I am not concerned at all. Normal service intervals for me should keep it going for a long time. I drive very hard on occasion but the transmission seems fine to me. Have 100k or 5 years warranty so I am not concerned.

when these trans are in saabs, ford and volvos, the fluid intervals are 30,000 miles

thats what i went with.
    money_man and IndyDiesel like this.
    Hidden Content

2014 Cruze Diesel - White 102,000 km

1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 340,000 km
    1998 XJ 3" 31" Hakka LT 290,000 km

Handbrake Released

I'm a little confused by what you mean by "that bad"? Does anybody actually know what the OEM fill is on these transmissions, other than meeting the AW1 cert? Considering they're made in Japan by Aisin, I could assume that they're filled with Aisin branded fluid, which I'm quite sure isn't actually made by Aisin. So, if we don't know what exact oil is coming out, how is it possible to know how 'good' or 'bad' it is?

To be blunt, I'm not sure it makes a nickel's worth of difference in the long run, so long as the fluid is changed per the schedule with the AW1 of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by beaurrr View Post
    I'm a little confused by what you mean by "that bad"? Does anybody actually know what the OEM fill is on these transmissions, other than meeting the AW1 cert? Considering they're made in Japan by Aisin, I could assume that they're filled with Aisin branded fluid, which I'm quite sure isn't actually made by Aisin. So, if we don't know what exact oil is coming out, how is it possible to know how 'good' or 'bad' it is?

To be blunt, I'm not sure it makes a nickel's worth of difference in the long run, so long as the fluid is changed per the schedule with the AW1 of your choice.
    They are likely shipped over dry. Highly unlikely to ship filled transmissions from overseas...
    Chris Tobin
    Editor--Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine
    Contributor to Diesel World, Street Trucks and more

BOOOOST!
    Just a general question for you all.

How many miles would you expect to get out of a Cruze transmission with fluid changes at the recommended interval?
    pandrad61 likes this.

Handbrake Released

In a perfect the world, the whole car would be mostly problem-free, then everything would fail all at once. And in this perfect world, that scenario wouldn't happen until at least 300,000 miles. That way, there's no nickel-and-diming.

Seriously, though. I'd be happy if the transmission gave 250,000 trouble-free miles.
    pandrad61 likes this.

Touring Champion
    Well im on 20k miles her ein a few months. time for a trans flush. tech says 12 quarts for a full flush and the machine lets the trans pump new fluid in and old fluid out into collection tank. if i do amsoil that a lot of $$$$$$. is the Gm automatic fluid THAT bad that it would be worth doing a amsoil swap.. i get 1/2 off all service so my trans flush cost 100$
    Our Mazda P5 is at 98K miles. I drained and replaced twice the factory fluid at about 30K miles with Amsoil ATF. Yes, I didn't change the fluid at 60K and 90K, because I got busy and lazy. The fluid is still cherry colored and smells like new. The transmission, a Sport Stick 5 spd auto still squeaks the tires in 1st & 2nd. The Amsoil was well worth the $$$$.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    35,600 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)
    108,782 December '15 YTD 32.4%
    178,051 December '16 YTD 48.5%

Learning about my Cruze
    not sure. figure 12qt x20 =240$ not shipped plus the small small labor fee
    The amsoil is cheaper. I have a quote for 12 quarts of signature for $140.00 shipped.
    Last edited by guitargain; 09-07-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateNYBill View Post
    Just a general question for you all.

How many miles would you expect to get out of a Cruze transmission with fluid changes at the recommended interval?
    148-150,000 miles.
    UpstateNYBill likes this.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.