Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Have you gotten the NOx recall done?

• No

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • Yes, and got P11DC CEL (or similar) within 1000 miles after (post details below)

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Yes, and no problems for at least 1000 miles after

Votes: 19 25.0%

NOx Emission Recall Poll and P11DC - Please post only in this thread

91K views 421 replies 70 participants last post by  TGillis 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems like a lot of people are having a check engine light after getting this recall done. I wanted to create one thread where we can all post our experience and updates.

I got a P11DC within 650 miles after getting the recall done. I am going back to the dealer for followup and will report updates.

#32 ·
New member here, I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel with approximately 26,000 miles on the car. Bought the car new in January 2014. Had no issues with the car other than a couple times I had a CEL and the car would clear the code the next time I drove it. Then in October of this year I had a CEL (P2428) while driving and caused the car to shut down when driving 75+ miles per hour on the freeway. I turn the ignition off and started the car again, the car ran fine but still had a CEL. So I pulled into a Chevy dealership a few miles away and they advise me of the code , but there were no parts available in the state and suggested I go to my local dealer when I got home. I took the car to my local dealer when I got home and because the other dealer or the car had cleared the code, the dealer would not fix the car because they could not duplicate the issue, even though I gave them paperwork from the dealer that found the issue. So I went back to the dealer who found the issue (who is eighty miles away-one way) to fix the CEL and to do the recall at the same time. The dealer fix the CEL and the recall , then found a problem with the DEF Reservoir and had to order a new one. So another trip back to the dealer again.
So after three trips to the dealer (eighty miles away-one way) and only 780 miles after all the recall and issues were fixed I received the CEL P11DC code. Went to a new dealer (forty miles-one way) today to fix the P11DC and they fixed it , but found another sensor that had a issue and would have to order the part. I’m schedule to have that part replace this Wed., the service writer couldn’t remember what was and I didn’t want to hang around to find out. I will let you know what they replaced.

Here is my list of codes and fixes:

P2099
P2428
P2598
P11DC
DEF Tank Reservoir
Recall Campaign to replace Nox sensor and reprogram ECM

#33 ·
Welcome to the forum! What did they do to fix the P11DC, are you able to get that info? That's the one that seems directly related to the recall.

#40 ·
My letter said do the regen. Currently the GM recall site says the following. As I not having any trouble, I don't plan to have the recall completed.

GM Recall #:

• NHTSA #

• Date Issued:
  • Oct 24, 2016

Recall Title:
NOx Position 1 Sensor Replacement
Recall Description:
General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2014 and 2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze model vehicles equipped with a 2.0L (RPO LUZ) diesel engine. On some vehicles, depending on driving habits, soot may build up on the engine’s NOx position 1 sensor and / or oxygen sensor, causing the vehicle Check Engine Indicator to illuminate.
Safety Risk Description:
Repair Description:
Dealers are to replace the NOx position 1 sensor and reprogram the engine control module with a modified calibration.

Reactions: Barefeet
#37 ·
That EGR could be the root of many issues, including the NOx sensor P11DC code. On my Cummins a stuck EGR let to many turbo failures... Some unplug the EGR on that Cummins and apparently it runs fine, not sure that would be a good option for CTD, likely not.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Today my dealer called me. They said they were on the phone all morning with GM tech i think he said and heard the cruze is having a lot of "issues" after the warranty work. They replaced the Nox 2 sensor for the second time as well as an O2 sensor and did a manual regen. The service manager was nice and personally drove my car for 60 miles with no issues. I drop off the loaner in the morning and have a 195 mile round trip commute. Hopefully shes fixed.

#42 ·
Update on mine - The dealer wanted to replace NOx2, but I told them that may not be the problem even though there was P11DC. i told them about the reports on this forum. I am guessing they talked to Gm TAC too. They cleared the code and are going to drive it for a while to see if the code returns.

#43 ·
Is there a way to safely clean these sensors prior to a code? Kinda preventative maintenance?

#44 ·
IMHO, I think GM has also changed the ECU programming when they have done the recall work. I'd really like them to take a look at the EGR valve. I'm wondering if it has soot problems and if they've changed the EGR parameters in the ECU causing a change in combustion gasses. If the EGR is sooted up, I suspect the NOX2 sensors are getting weird readings.

#46 ·
My observation from a bit higher level is that they changed the ecu programming and then it has other issues with the rest of the system, they probably tested this prior to recall but was a smaller sample and didn't include any folks that were not having an issue, like myself, they make changes to programming and then it is causing issues to folks that were not in their sample before, I would guess with a little time they will re-adjust the programming and figure out a better solution ongoing. For time being I don't see a valid reason to get recall completed just yet. I do plan on getting it done prior to 24k miles though so I am under warranty.

On a separate issue, I have had zero work done on my 15 CTD with 20.9k miles other than dealer oil changes. This summer I was getting very short regens, sometimes around 100 miles, prolly averaged in Summer 200-250 with mixed driving, no recall done, same type of mixed driving and my soot level is 18 and I think I am around 575 miles since last regen. I don't really understand the difference. Summer fuel and warmer weather with current programming has a drastic difference in regen frequency.

#47 ·
I had the recall done at 47,000 miles. So far all the CEL's the recall has thrown has been covered under the emissions warranty. I just spoke with the service advisor and he said my car has been fixed and is being road tested by the shop foreman. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning, curious to see what they did this time.

#51 ·
Very interesting to see very different post recall issues, both mine still seem better post recall.. so far. My first car that we bought new, it had a bad DPF in the first week... Was more than a bit concerned about that, but it has been mostly fine since.. did have an O2 sensor and NOx sensor replaced, prior to recall, and of a surprise, ECU. With that list it's interesting, the second car, bought used with over twice the miles had no history of any emissions issues, but had one ECU reprogram. With all that said, I wonder if there are some with ECU issues that have not thrown a code, or perhaps some with bad DPFs since new, but not bad enough to throw a code.. the DPF on mine was letting soot through, I think that same soot led to premature failure of the sensors.. now that DPF and ECU are expensive enough, and not well supplied enough that GM is going to have incentive to gamble a bit to avoid replacement, if that is perhaps the problem here... Again a theory to propose. It is odd that so many are having issues, while some are having no issues..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#52 ·
Well like clock work CEL is on for the 5th time since the recall. Including the recall since early November it's had 5 NOX sensors replaced. 1 manual regen (recall) performed and 1 intake clamps tightening. I'm really getting fed up with this car. I contacted GM and opened a complaint ticket with them. Next appointment is Friday but GM support is supposed to get back to me after speaking with the dealer about resolving this problem. Apparently the tech was online with tech support for the last 3 service CEL calls but obviously they have no clue why this is happening either. I really wanted to like this car but at this point I absolutely hate it. Worst car by far that I have ever owned.

#53 ·
Just picked my CTD up. They did not have the ticket all the way completed, service writer wanted me out of the dealership. He did say they pulled the upstream sensor out and it was sooted up. He also said they crankcase was over full. They drained 1/2 quart of oil out. When I changed the oil, to avoid any over fill problems I refilled with 4.25 quarts. They drove it for 278 miles, no CEL. We'll see how this works out.....

#54 ·
I am all for a test drive to ensure things are working properly, however, I didn't buy a diesel for a dealer to have to drive it that much, that's insane in my book.

#56 ·
We just passed 1000 miles, and so far, no CEL.

Watch, saying that will jinx it, haha. Hopefully not.

It's been mighty ******* cold out (past few mornings in the low single digits), and the last tank she had approximately an hour total of remote start time. 100% city on the last tank, all the idling, and the cold temps lead to a second-lowest (ever) tank of 30.5.

#60 ·
I think you could at least clean the outside of the sensor - but that's not where the "sensing" happens. If there was a proper solution created, you might be able to soak the sensor in it, causing the soot to fall off.

#61 ·
I have mass air flow sensor spray, was just wondering, I would like to see the sensor and take a pic of it when they do the recall, just to see how much soot there is.

#64 ·
After getting my car back for the 6th time for this issue, it was fine for about a week (I was on vacation during this time so not as much driving), and yesterday the CEL lit again, back at the dealer for the 7th time. Getting sick of this and ready to see what they will give me for a trade in on it.

#65 ·
Shoot, sad to see the large number of issues coming out of this. I'm about 1500 miles since the recall work and no issues. Only change I noted was a particularly long period without needing a regen after the dealer-initiated regen. Got about 880 miles. Then it regened and it looks like it went back to its normal soot rate. I'm watching this closely on my SC2.
I should note that I installed my Trifecta Tune a couple days after the recall was done.

#67 ·
Latest updates on mine:

First of all, had my second P11DC since the recall. I cleared this one using my scangauge, and so far it hasn't returned in about 100 miles.

In that time since the second clear, the car successfully completed a regen. I think i have a theory why my regen count was set to 0. This time my regen didn't start until 21 or 22 grams, which is what most of you have been observing all along, while mine used to regen starting at 19, as if mine was programmed completely differently than all the others out there. I wonder if my different programming from the factory had anything to do with why I had so few problems all along.

Moving forward, I will just keep clearing the P11DC when it pops up, and watching for other codes. I don't think it's a true code, and it takes hundreds of miles before it comes back up after it's cleared.

#68 ·
Car going in Monday again for 5th time for this CEL. On 2 occasions the CEL went off just to come back on a cpl days later. The only thing that I have observed and this is now only on two separate incidents is that the CEL appears to have come on shortly after the vehicle performs a regen. I'm not sure if related but no one seems to know what's causing this problem. I have started a claim with GM customer care who advised would be in contact with the dealer about this matter but I believe this is just to make me feel like there's something being done but the reality is there's nothing being done. I'm fed up with this car. I want to drive it through a dealer showroom. I'm tired of taking time off work to bring it in. The lost of my vehicle, time, money, and patience. I had a Toyota 4Runner bought it for 38 sold it 18 months later for 36 and never had a problem just oil changes. This piece of junk is just a sinking ship of garbage no resale value and constant headache. If I could afford to take the loss I would have already. Never again.

#70 ·
I had the ox sensor and the tank heater hit me at the same time. i was about 3 hours away from home when I got limited to 65 mph well I tought it was do to my accident but was told about the recall and the milage you could have and i had 119915 and the recall was good till 120k

#71 ·
WOW, talk about good timing!

#73 ·
Cursed, I would not take that as gospel, I was told the same thing about 3 returns ago, still getting the CEL light. And that may seem like a fix to you (clearing the code and keep going) this is a vehicle I purchased new and I expect this issue to be resolved. I do not know how much more patience I can give them to correct it, as Cursed stated, i'm tired of using my time to go drop the vehicle off and tired of using crappy loaners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.