diesel fuel

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: diesel fuel

Sperry is online now [OP]
    2nd Gear

diesel fuel

Normally I use the regular shell diesel.. I have only used the shell v-power once. It just happened to be on my best tank .. Was it a coincidence , I have no idea but I have decided to try it again next fill up. Any other diesel owners find a difference in fuel mileage due to the type they use? I know the cetane rating is higher..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I decided that I would only use V-power - but am only on my first tank since burning off the 'free' tank from the dealer. I got a sense that my engine idled more quietly, but I can't back this perception up with any kind of emperical evidence.

Ive read a fair bit about the V-Power Diesel, and it is the same diesel except an additive is injected into it at the pump. If you look carefully at the pump you may see a small white line, similar to an ice maker water line. I believe the additive sits inside the pump housing.

I have no idea who replenishes the additive, or if the V-Power pump will continue to dispense if the additive reservoir is exhausted, but I'd like to know.

There have been tests done on best diesel additive.

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/f...t/viewall.html

So saving me from the hassle of measuring and pouring I'm just going to use V-Power and collect a few more Air Miles. Surely the folks at Shell are smarter than I am when it comes to pouring stuff down my tank.
    Last edited by Tomko; 09-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I have not really noticed much of a difference filling up at different locations.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel 202K (Domenic), 1986 Mercedes 300E 5 Speed odo broken (Rammstein - Sold and then repurchased), 2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6M 7K (Gordon), 2004 Mercedes S430 4Matic 187K (Kevin) - Going to be the daily grinder for now, but I still love my Cruze!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I use Shell (non-VPower...I think) and Mobil and haven't noticed a real difference in MPG either. With that being said, how would I know if the Shell station I fill up at offers VPower Diesel? I always see VPower premium unleaded (marked clearly on the grade slection button), but never diesel; the grade slection button just says "Diesel" on it.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel (Took Delivery 8/15/13): Black Granite w/ Jet Black Interior, 2LT Convenience Package, Enhanced Safety Package, Sunroof, Navigation, Fog Lights, 35% Window Tint and of Course, a Few Other Goodies.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by plasticplant View Post
    I use Shell (non-VPower...I think) and Mobil and haven't noticed a real difference in MPG either. With that being said, how would I know if the Shell station I fill up at offers VPower Diesel? I always see VPower premium unleaded (marked clearly on the grade slection button), but never diesel; the grade slection button just says "Diesel" on it.
    My understanding is that V-Power diesel is Canada only. The pump has two hoses coming out - one diesel and the other V-Power diesel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Power#V-Power_Diesel
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)

1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)

1984 6000 STE (first car)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2nd Gear
    Yes , it's clearly labeled up here so maybe you don't have it south of the 49th

2nd Gear
    Ok, all filled up with the v-power. I need to get another good mpg tank to get average going back up. Last tank was wasted running around town when I should have been driving the Altima.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

6th Gear
    A station with clean fuel is 10x more important then who made the fuel to me. It's all pretty close stateside...

2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel

2nd Gear
    I like to go to busier stations after prime time . I tend to trust their fuel more

I fill up at a Mobil station near work. It tends to be less expensive that the stations around my home and being a more suburban area probably gets more diesel vehicles than a station near my house which is a more residential area. I asked about their diesel and the owner said they have a 3000 gallon tank for diesel and they have it filled every 3-4 days. I'd say that is pretty good turnover. When I was filling up yesterday there was a dump truck there filling up and he must have put in over 100 gallons on his own. This is probably nowhere near the turnover at a truck stop, but I know the fuel isn't sitting for long periods of time.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.